• Forum membership has its advantages....

MiguelB

April 29, 2020
-BULLETIN-
SCORE revises 2020 SCORE World Desert Championship
Schedule due to impact of the Corona Virus (COVID-19)
ENSENADA, Baja California, Mexico – Adjusting to the changing times, SCORE International has announced further revisions of its 2020 racing schedule with new race dates for the first two events. The three rounds of the revised 2020 SCORE World Desert Championship will start with a new date for the SCORE Baja 500 (July 14-19), a new date for the SCORE San Felipe 250 (September 22-27) and the previously announced season-ending SCORE Baja 1000 (November 17-22).
“As the world continues to move forward in the battle against COVID-19 and following...
Continue reading...

scottm

The .5k in July?

E.Hagle

Jose G was on a fishgistics video a few back and stated that if the race was pushed back to July they had plans set in place to keep everyone out of the desert and a mostly coastal side route, if I remember correctly. This is actually my first season racing, and San Felipe was supposed to be our first race. I‘m really hoping that the temps don’t get astronomical, but I’m anticipating being a little uncomfortable at times.

mexgamer

For the 500, I think they can run a big loop, and all of it west of Valley T:
Ensenada, Santo Tomas, all the way down the Pacific Coast to San Quintin, East towards the mountains, up Coyote and Mikes, down to Valley T. Up the Goat Trail, and all the way towards the Pine Forest, do a loop there, towards Ojos and Finish in Ensenada
That’s easily 500+ miles
Think last Baja 1000 minus San Felipe and the desert, and add the 2003 Baja 500 loop in the Pine Forest

mexgamer

For the 500, I think they can run a big loop, and all of it west of Valley T:
Ensenada, Santo Tomas, all the way down the Pacific Coast to San Quintin, East towards the mountains, up Coyote and Mikes, down to Valley T. Up the Goat Trail, and all the way towards the Pine Forest, do a loop there, towards Ojos and Finish in Ensenada
That’s easily 500+ miles
Think last Baja 1000 minus San Felipe and the desert, and add the 2003 Baja 500 loop in the Pine Forest
I stand corrected, it was the 2006 Baja 500 that ran the Pine Forest loop
If you take a look at the 2019 Baja 1000 map, it’s 330 miles to San Matias, then take a look at the 2006 Baja 500 map and San Matias is RM 174, there you go, almost exactly 500 miles! Make a few changes to keep it fresh and you have a great course! And most of it is in cooler temperatures! What’s better than a Pine Forest in the summer?

swiftracing5

I stand corrected, it was the 2006 Baja 500 that ran the Pine Forest loop
If you take a look at the 2019 Baja 1000 map, it’s 330 miles to San Matias, then take a look at the 2006 Baja 500 map and San Matias is RM 174, there you go, almost exactly 500 miles! Make a few changes to keep it fresh and you have a great course! And most of it is in cooler temperatures! What’s better than a Pine Forest in the summer?
Just speculation but I have heard racing through the pine forest is off limits after Norra 500 last year and course changes last year to the baja 100 cut it out.

Dustino81

Just speculation but I have heard racing through the pine forest is off limits after Norra 500 last year and course changes last year to the baja 100 cut it out.
I heard that as well . If my memory serves me correctly , didn’t SCORE put out a press release before last years 1000 confirming this ?

swiftracing5

Landowners don’t like the excessive prerunning involved in that area and not sure the extent but guns were involved.

mexgamer

Easy fix, limited pre-running like the do it for the first 30 miles of the race. And I do agree that most people pre-run at high speeds, the rulebook clearly states pre-running must be done at safe speeds, they should enforce that rule.

mexgamer

Or just no prerunning through there
We love prerunning, but what happens when we abuse it is just that, racing gets banned in certain areas. If we don’t want to run the same old course over and over again, we need to implement some limits. Limited prerunning and definitely don’t do it at speed, those roads are open to local traffic. There have been many accidents due to being irresponsible, prerunning is not racing

El Mamito USMC

Well, no one will have the problem of not having enough time to prep.
the actual problem would be the funds if any got hit at work by the corona

mexgamer

What I’m certain of is that Ensenada needs these races now more than ever! The economic slowdown is gonna hit Mexico worse than the US. Without the cruise ships docking every week, and without people visiting the wineries, Ensenada is suffering. The same can be said about every city in the world I guess...
Back to the guessing game, if not the pine forest, what do you think the course will look like?
I’m thinking a loop around Santa Catarina like at the 2005 Baja 500, and maybe a loop around El Alamo like at the 2003 Baja 500. Also from that race, they should run Kiliwas coming down Mike’s instead of the San Matias straight. Kiliwas hasn’t been raced in a long time

Class10DAN

it really tiks me off that they would make the 1k a point to point race and then change their minds like wtf

One-Eyed Peter

Frustrating for sure, but in this case I would cut SCORE a break. As has been mentioned before, making it a loop race during Corona-times is way simpler as far as logistics, safety, dealing with land owners, etc. and more cost-conscious for the competitors. Way less complicated to support a team in a loop vs the peninsula run. Not a bad thing with team budgets being potentially cut right now.