Revive a dying class

MTPyle

Reaction
I love watching the 4700 class trucks, they look fun to drive and have the power to get into trouble. Haha

Cant wait to see that class grow. What makes a 4700? what are the limitations?

Mike

SMS81

Reaction
Tim, good thread.
Pee Wee, thanks for endorsing 4700. You guys will be fast next season. Could see ten trucks racing soon.
dislocate1, You are correct. A 1700 with stroker motor, 35" tire and more travel and better shocks is the most economical way for 1700 guys to go faster.
Red Ford Racer, could one of your 300 hp TL hang with a 4700 PT both with 18" front travel?
Question, how come a forced induction 6 cyl runs against naturally aspirated 6 cyl in 7200?

I didn’t think Rob MAC would finish 8th overall in a 1600 at the Mint, but he did. It’s not all the vehicle. Just saying hp and travel numbers aren’t the Bible in Offroad racing. Great prep and homework go a long ways. IMHO, that 4700 class is awesome, hope it stays the way it is before big$$ destroys it! (Ok, maybe some of us knew he would, it’s Rob MAC!)

misterktm

Reaction
Tim : 4700 is the ticket...You know I put my time in 1700. The step up is unbelievable. The class will easily get faster - we're still learning to drive this thing! Entries keep growing, there are several more trucks that are going to join next year. I think 10 is very possible - which will probably be the biggest class in jeepspeed next year.

Mike - 18" front travel, 123" wheelbase, 37" tires, no underdrives. Dodge grill, General tires/KMC wheels. Pro trucks just happen to fit almost perfectly. We can't quiet get 18" of travel up front in stock form.

Jeepspeed1720

Reaction
Hey Tim. Looking at your original thoughts. I agree. 1700 is struggling in car count. So is 2700 and 3700.4700 tbd. Jeepspeed always touts numbers of teams competing. The problem is they don’t compete every race and therefore you race against 4-6 people most races. When I bought my 1700 to rebuild (2014) I did it because of Two reasons, ease of cost/prep and car count. By the time I raced (2016) the average race car count had already started to drop. By 2019 it was down to 4-6. Imo 1700 is far too costly for the speed it averages. Ask me how I know. Sure you can show up with a stock crate engine and driveline and finish. But there’s no way you’ll podium if the hp guys finish. Rob Seubert, Biehl, Allred , Randall were all running hp. So to compete we had to do the same. $9k in a 4.0 and aw4 trans that is running on the edge of catastrophe is too much for the advertising of cost effective racing. Parker 2019 we finished second. Fourth place finisher who ran mostly stock components was Loud and open calling all of us in the top 3 cheaters and telling Jeepspeed officials they better catch us or he wouldn’t be back. In my opinion 1700 is down due to cost. I’m looking at budget for next year in production turbo and entry fee difference is really the only significant additional cost compared to 1700. Fuel mpg is better in the utv. Tires, wheels, heims, driveshafts electronics etc are all comparable. I’ll need an additional chase crew/truck. A brand new engine , trans and turbo from Can-Am is reliable and around 8k. I did however look at 4700 before deciding on my current venture. Jeepspeed says in the post above its 80 grand or more in utv to compete. I disagree. It’s 80 grand if you pay to buy a turn key car. I also heard the red and white WJ that runs 1700 was 120k to build. (???) If you do your part it’s not. But for arguments sake let’s say it is. Jeepspeed also said it would cost 80k for a 4700. If both cost 80k then race the class with 50 starters rather than 5. I’d rather see who I am in the stack with 50 ( and be mid pack) than take third in a pack of 5. Or worse put more money in your xj to run 2700. Racing in a class of 2-3. Jeepspeed was fun while i was in the driver seat, the rest of the time imo it was Over complicated . If fun is what your after I would recommend keeping running 1700. If you want car count consider utv. Or as the elitists call them “ golf carts”. The top golf cart beat every class 10 car On corrected time at V2R this year by the way. If you want to go faster then you’ll have to decide how much more you want to spend. If 4700 continues to grow upwards of 15-20 per race and I’m getting my ass handed to me in a couple seasons in production turbo then I may revisit the 4700 idea. Until then I’ll accept the challenge. You are the only one who can define fun for you. My 2 cents.

jeepspeedcom

Reaction
Like I said. Good post. We hate to get into these online discussions but.....1720 your 4 to 6 entries is a little misleading. The only time Jeepspeed had four 1700s was not surprisingly at this years Covid V2R. If you check the 2019 BITD points summary the Average 1700s was 8 plus 7 other Jeepspeed for avg 15 Jeepspeeders at each event .....The total Jeepspeed numbers have remained constant as many quick 1700 guys have gone to our faster classes leaving the 1700 field now open to new racers.

Also the purchase numbers suggested were for turn key race trucks being bought and sold. Recently the used turn key 1700s advertised all sold just about 20K and have won and podiumed out the box. Allred, Gambrell, Stone, Garzik, Trim,to name a few. Sure they updated them later during ownership. Going to be interesting how the recently well purchased Ray Griffith Cherokee does at Parker. also your sold Cherokee.?

The $80K number I am told is the turn key number for a winning SxS. To the best of my knowledge all the Pro Trucks recently sold have been under $80K. Merely trying to point out you can buy turn key race cars in every class for much less than building or buying new.

Lets forget the negative, move on, and get ready for an exciting post Covid 2021 race season. Like you said Jimmy, 1700 is about fun. If you want to go faster Jeepspeed has classes for you. Good luck next year to everyone no matter what class you run.

jon coleman

Reaction
one of the problems with budgeting for the racing we do it prep cost.

I dont think a 6100 is more to prep than a 4700. But I bet if you are racing 6100 you are going to do more prep to just make sure its all good. So the 6100 ends up more just because those guys want to be more competitive. Its not like the parts on a 6100 are more expensive than a 4700. Its mostly the same stuff.

There is a huge variable in prep cost. You can do a $30K prep or a $6K prep. You wont get away with many $6K preps before you need to do a bigger one. So you really have to look at a complete season of prep. We just had to buy a $9K engine, thats not happening on a $6K prep. If I look at the average cost of our preps for the season its around $6K and thats without paying expensive shop rates. Thats when we do most of the work. So a 6100 isn't that bad. That being said I think the prep we just did with engine and all is pushing $25K, it adds up fast. I bet if you completely re built a 4700 with new engine and fresh everything it would be the same. there is nothing exotic about a 6100.

Mike
i never prepped my jeepspeeds,2 of them, oil change , kick tires, then go have a blast, hate to say it, 1700 is home again some day, when thing$ work out ;)
20200929_205137-1.jpg

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
I am not the best poster child for Jeepspeed after a flame out sell at the end of a best in class 1700 Wrangler build followed by my teams sell of a newly acquired fastest 1700 Grand Cherokee, I am out due to my inability to overcome some personal life issues each time taking me out as I wholesaled my life twice now in 4 years. (No it was not hookers and blow related lol) We chose Jeepspeed due to the Jeepspeed organization that provided fair consistent rules, solid entry fields, good prep cost per mile and the ability to have reduced entry cost in races like V2R and Parker with great class sponsor visibility.

I think COVID and the appearance of a condensed BITD schedule may be limiting the current entries? How do you get those 1700 class cars out to pump the numbers might be better than a whole new class or leaving a good spec series? A 4700 under Jeepspeed looks like a good time.

That being said I still look at all the cars for sale and try to figure out how to have fun, not go broke and race to win when and if I get the chance again. Each day I look away unable to pick a new go to car on a budget with no drama or extreme costs. End of the day for me the decisions to be made first is where will you race? SNORE-MORE-BITD-Baja, followed by is it a series run or a bucket list schedule? Do you want to win often in a spec class or possibly not so often in a open class? Each of those race modes has a different horse that fits that one series. That's my advice look at where you will really race in the future for that next hot rod.

Last edited:

CMA GUMBY

Reaction
Well said from a Man that has raced many different SPEC classes and been competitive doing so. He can't lose the "BUG". Dude has spent more time/money in the last 20+? years enjoying racing in the desert. Wise man when it comes to SPEC classes. Best of luck Dave. 🙏

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Well said from a Man that has raced many different SPEC classes and been competitive doing so. He can't lose the "BUG". Dude has spent more time/money in the last 20+? years enjoying racing in the desert. Wise man when it comes to SPEC classes. Best of luck Dave. 🙏
Thanks my friend, its been ugly and disappointing for the last bit for sure.. appreciate the kind words! On a positive note my best bud Ron Thomas just won his class at Primm and I was able to head out there and hang out with him. Good times. First race been to in a while for me. Hope all good for you!

Jeepspeed1720

Reaction
1720 your 4 to 6 entries is a little misleading. The only time Jeepspeed had four 1700s was not surprisingly at this years Covid V2R. If you check the 2019 BITD points summary the Average 1700s was 8
[/QUOTE]
Jeepspeed You’re correct. I was unclear in my comment. My meaning was 4-6 who are consistently competing for a championship.

JJernigan282

Reaction
Im gonna jump in on this one as i dont really post much.....Our ProTruck was converted over to 6100 last year and because we do lack suspension, races like Laughlin are really hard for us to compete with others in the 6100 class. We did finish 2nd at Battle at Primm in 6100 couple weeks ago....and racing again in TrophyTruck class in CODE this weekend. Our plan is to run the 4700 jeepspeed series next year. We were hoping to run Vegas-Reno earlier but do to Covid issues pulled out.... I know entries for 4700 class seem low but the potential for that class is there....And these trucks when dialed in can be super competitive and fast.....

dislocated1

Reaction
Looking forward to seeing Jernigan running in 4700!

Hoping to have the ex-Vest pro-truck done for Coan/Krellwitz for Parker in 2021

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 64

Pee Wee

Reaction
After powder coat all the parts speed all over the shop just need to jump on the chassis and we are done.