Rf noise?

drj777

Reaction
i recently upgraded my halogens up front to HIDs...and now when theyre on - i get RF noise on the radio and cant hear anyone till its off.:eek:

the power & ground from the radio are in the same loom as the light switch that goes along the steering column & thru the firewall to a fuseblock in the engine bay where theyre both connected.

so - can i simply move the radio power and ground off the fuseblock to the battery directly to eliminate the RF noise...or do i have to get them off the same loom on the column and wire the radio to the cig lighter in the cab?:confused:

im rovng for the MDR night race this weekend and i need to have it sorted out before then...

thanks up front,

drj
:)

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Defiantly move the power and ground for the radio to the battery. You may still have some noise depending on the ballasts.

drj777

Reaction
thanks for the info!

the ballast is internal...do you think it'll be ok?

or should i just go ahead & wire it to the cig lighter?

drj

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Lighter connections can be problematic. Run it's own separate power and ground lines to the battery keeping them away from the HID wiring.

How is your antenna mounted?

drj777

Reaction
the antennae is on the roof - and i ran the wire down along the door sill - tucked under the carpet.

i have only one way out to the engine bay (that i know of) and thats along the steering column thru the firewall...so even if i move the radio power and ground to the battery - both wires will run out thru the firewall the same way...any suggestions?:confused:

i can reroute the antennae wire to the pass side of the truck, that may help a bit - @ the moment everything is on the drivers side...radio - lights - antennae.

drj

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Punch a new hole on the P-side and put a grommet on it.

Check the ground on the antenna. disconnect the antenna from the radio , from the outer shield at the radio end to the body of the truck you shouldn't be over 5 Ohm's.

drj777

Reaction
okee dokee...thanks, i appreciate the help!!:)

drj