RFS wins 2nd overall at MDR 200 night race

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Class 6 is showing what it can do. Full write up to follow.

mcheck

STEEEKERS!!
Reaction
nice, congrats

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
bilek won. that course is a freeway, it dosent really require much suspension. anyone with alot of motor can go fast there. hell my 130hp 4banger yota would do 60min laps there.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
bilek won. that course is a freeway, it dosent really require much suspension. anyone with alot of motor can go fast there. hell my 130hp 4banger yota would do 60min laps there.
But would you truck last??? I am not sure either why would you would say the course does not not require much suspension. I can tell you that about 80 other racers would disagree. The course is very fast but it is really torn up right now. We have proven three races in a row that our truck will compete and we didn't even do a prep for this race! We are currently 2nd in SNORE and we ran our truck for three races basically without a suspension. Can't wait to race the new truck!!!! Competition is bitter sweet!!!

Last edited:

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Well, here is the deal. Mikey and I were sitting yesterday in Wrightwood with the truck at a car show. It was 2:30 and we were taking a break and having a margarita at one of the restaurants. Somebody asked Mikey if he was going to the MDR race and he said he was thinking about going to watch it. He then got this funny look on his face and said let's go race it. We are sitting there with the truck only. We do not have any pit boxes, trailer, support, etc. I said let's see if we can round up some troops and a couple of pit boxes. We call the crew and tell them we want to race and get the stuff together. It is confirmed at 4 pm that we are racing in the race.

We arrived to tech at 6:15 pm in Lucerne Valley. The biggest dilemma we have is we only have about 8 gallons of fuel and no horn. The truck still has not been prepped since last weekends race so the siren was on the punch list for prep. We get the siren working but we still do not have fuel. 6:45 (15 minutes before start) and we word on the radio the we have a drum of fuel from a 1450 team. I did not catch there name but my crew did, so I will give them cudos afterwards. 6:55 we are fueled up heading for the start line.

First lap is fast and the wind is working for us. The plan is Mikey drives two laps and I will drive to laps. Our goal is overall so we entered as a TT and they number us with class 1 numbers. We start picking away at the class ones. 8 are registered in all and one other TT. The first lap is fast and uneventful. We get passed one car and do not stop for any pits.

2nd lap we starting hitting lap traffic and are getting a lot more dust in the face. We pick away passing a lot of vehicles and get passed one more class one. The truck is running perfect and no problems whatsoever. We decide it is not going to be wise for a driver change because we are 9 minutes from the leading car at the end of the second lap. We decide to splash one can and go around one more time and then do the driver change.

Third lap we encounter a lot more race vehicles. We get a 1400 truck in front of us that just does not want to get out of the way and starts running from us. His truck is fast and we chase him for about 8 miles until we notice that he starts slowing down. On the course we notice fluids on the ground. As we catch back up to him we see fire underneath his transmission. He has a fluid fire and keeps trying to run from us. We finally get next to him and advise him that he is on fire. He pulls over and gets the fire out. We keep pounding away and at the end of the third lap we have made up 4 minutes on the leader and we now are in 2nd place. I decide to take one for the team and stick with the co-driver seat. We dump another 1.5 cans of fuel and we are off.

4th lap we are flying trying to catch up to Mike (leader). He is moving but we are making up ground. The course is really torn up now. About 1/3rd away through the course we hit a hole that has gotten larger and bend a tie rod. The steering is a little funky now so we have to drop it down a notch. We keep pounding away though seeing what we can do. About 6 miles before the end of the race we start hearing a weird sputtering from the motor when we hit big stuff. It progessively gets worse and we are about a mile from the finish and I asked Mikey if here as ever broke down at the finish line. He said he hasn't and I am starting to wonder if we are going to make it. We round the last corner and the truck almost sputters out as I switch the batteries to the 2nd battery. I switch it back and it seems to give us a little boost and we make it to the finish line 2nd overall only 3:26 off of the leader.

This was a fun race and Mikey drove great. I like sitting on the other side and learning from Mikey. On the SNORE race last week I had the 2nd fastest lap. My skills keep getting better because of riding with Mikey. We once again ran the truck event free and did not have to pit for anything besides fuel. This truck has proven itself over the last three races. We have two (Baja 500 and Midnight Special) wins and a 2nd overall. We have not had to stop for any repairs at the last three races. Great job everyone from RFS and thanks for getting down there with a 3 hour notice.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
But would your truck last???QUOTE]

4 years of racing......over 20 races......1 DNF........yeah she did alright for a little mild steel driveway built leaf springer. ;)

congrats on the 2nd OA.

Matt,
we all know who you are. The fact is that I did not buy a BMS truck after meeting with BMS and now all you do is slam every post I do. I have never said anything negative about BMS and I openly say BMS makes great trucks. The fact is Brenthel Industries sponsored us and gave us a great deal on the truck. If you feel the need to keep on slamming everything we say because we are winning then go ahead but I do not see how that gives you validity.

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
whoa there turbo..........lol.........i think you need to relax a bit. im not sure i recall "slamming every post you do".........or any for that matter.......i was only making a blanket statement about the course........if you feel that was "slamming" then im sorry you took it that way...... then you called my truck out and i responded, its that simple. and bms has nothing to do with any of this. this is me posting, not bms. i could care less where you buy your trucks from. im glad you're happy with brenthel. thats sweet. good luck and have fun at the races.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
Same to you Matt. Good luck in all your ventures!

4130Clothing

Reaction
Man I knew you guys were heading out last minute when I talked to Bryant yesterday on his way out there but I had no idea you guys made such a snap decision like that. That's awesome how the truck held together so well with no prep at all. I shoulda come by the pits but we were stuck on the other side of the rockpile all night after the race was done things were getting pretty crazy down there for a bit haha!

swiftracing5

Reaction
Cant wait to see this thing compete at primm against some real competition. Looked good out there.

BCG1

Reaction
Re: RFS places 2nd overall at MDR 200 night race

2nd is place
1st is win
3rd is show.

RFS Motorsports

Reaction
We also beat both TT in our class.

El Chinero

Reaction
win
1  /wɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [win] Show IPA verb, won, win⋅ning, noun
Use win in a Sentence
–verb (used without object)
1. to finish first in a race, contest, or the like.

MIKEY CHILDRESS

Iron Mike
Reaction
Wow what another great race and the truck amazed me again as I pushed it harder then I ever have before. I knew that if we had a little luck that we could overall the race. We picked off all the guys infront of us except one but we did real in some of the time we lost from being stuck in the dust on lap 1 The truck took a beating and again finished flawless. We used the same tires that we used last weekend at the SNORE race and again a flat free race. Robert and the team are here to win and I cant wait to go to primm.