RG has only 8 races sponsored for next season in Cup

RGFan

I see this as a potential positive. While it is unfortunate that this is what it has come to, anybody with a grain of common sense knew that this day was coming, it was only a matter of time, with the same dismal performances RG and RGM have had year in and year out since 2007. Unfortunate, but true, you can not perform when you are an underfunded single car effort. Not the fault of RGM, just simple economics.

So RG does not drive for RGM any more at the Cup level.......He is one of the most talented drivers IN THE WORLD!!!!!! He left a good seat on good terms in 2004 to start this venture, he did not burn a bridge. He will have many options.....Race SCORE, grow the Dakar Program and do more rallys, race Indy for a contender, race full time in ALMS or Rolex, the list of possibilities in endless.

Why not race in Cup for a contender.....Look who will most likely be changing teams at the end of 2010...........Kasey Kahne, Kurt Busch, Scott Speed, Denny Hamlin, Jeff Burton (Back to the 31?), KEVIN FRICKEN HARVICK!!!! Could you imagine RG racing for RCR again.

There is an old saying.......Win on SUnday, sell on Monday.......RG has not won on Sunday in quite some time, unless it was an Off Road event. Winners do not have issues with sponsorship, look at RG's Off Road Program. Perhaps racing for a contender in Cup could allow him to garner sponsorship for a team in the truck or nationwide series, perhaps multiple cars one day. Maybe even Cup with another driver runnning the 7 while RG drives for a contender. He got all of the sponsorship once for his own team, off of the performances he had while racing at RCR. He could do it again.

I am not going to look at this as a bad thing, I am going to look at it as addition by subtraction. Who knows, he may be able to grow RGM in ways he never could have as an underfunded single car effort.

And to be perfectly honest, I am sick and tired of seeing one of the greatest drivers in the world be a bottom marker week in and week out.

I think this will be a blessing in disguise.

michael_loomis

I don't think he can single handedly turn RCRs program around either..

I think his days of driving for someone else are over... I don't see him NOT trying to make his own CC decisions anymore...

NicksTrix

you really think a true "contender" team wants to deal with his micro mangement ways and at this point in his career?
the team still needs to sell sponsorship off the driver &/or performance.
RG is a talent for sure, don't get me wrong, he's just not a contender ~ nor a crew chief.

i'd say the big question, will rgm be a start and park for 26 races? i could see it as long as the starting spot is locked in. once gone, it's going to get ugly.

Mary Kay

PRINCESS
from jayski.

Robby down to 8 races in 2010?: #7-Robby Gordon, who has run a full Sprint Cup schedule as a driver/owner since 2006 [and before that was full time with RCR in the #31 car since mid 2001], says he has enough sponsorship for only eight races in 2010. "I'm looking at a lot of weekends off,'' a frustrated Gordon said Friday at Phoenix International Raceway. Gordon said he has two four-race commitments from sponsors for next season. One of his major sponsors, Jim Beam, announced earlier in the year that it would not return to the sport. "Nobody is spending money,'' Gordon said. "Everybody is cutting the fat out of everything. To be in racing you have to be a pretty big company.'' Gordon said many of the larger teams are making deals for well less than the market value because they can afford to, but that runs teams like his out of business. "It's sponsorship suicide,'' said Gordon, who is 34th in points. Gordon said NASCAR needs to create a unified marketing plan so every team is on a level playing field. He said there are so many different plans now that sponsors are confused. He expects to see more start-and-park teams next season than ever, adding he doesn't plan to be one. "I don't know what we're going to do,'' Gordon said. "We're going to continue to work hard to sell races through March of next year. After that I'm looking at a lot of weekends off.''(ESPN)(11-13-2009)

trent06

Mush
If this is the case RG has alot of decisions to make for next year, however I do know that RG's off-road program is what it is because of his Nascar and Dakar programs. He is on a different level of sponsorships then what off-road is looking at. Do you think Monster sponsors Robby for his TT program? No! They sponsor him for his Dakar effort and the TT program is just an added bonus for Monster. Same thing for his Nascar sponsors as well I would assume. In the big spectrum most money that people win from sports, racing, etc. is relatively small compared to what they make from the incentives with their sponsorships.

Just my thoughts...

RGFan

you really think a true "contender" team wants to deal with his micro mangement ways and at this point in his career?
the team still needs to sell sponsorship off the driver &/or performance.
RG is a talent for sure, don't get me wrong, he's just not a contender ~ nor a crew chief.

i'd say the big question, will rgm be a start and park for 26 races? i could see it as long as the starting spot is locked in. once gone, it's going to get ugly.
Yep, I do, He is one of the best driving talents in the world and with a good team, not great team, he will contend for wins. He was a race winner at RCR when they were a b-level team. With some of the crap for drivers that are in good rides now, he is to good of a talent not to take a chance on. RG is not the same driver he was a decade ago......Yes he makes the calls now and over rules his own CC now,(which is wrong IMO), but that is becasue it is HIS team, right or wrong, the bills are in his name and he is afraid of losing it. RG was well behaved while at RCR (Harvick was the spoiled brat in that deal) and he is mature enough to know he will have to do that again.

If Penske does end up buying out RGM, as is rumored, while Penske is not an A-list team, they are a good team and RG can finish out his career with some more wins and perhapos grow RGM in other ways, maybe including Cup, maybe not. The Off Road Program is not going anywhere.

RGFan

I don't think he can single handedly turn RCRs program around either..

I think his days of driving for someone else are over... I don't see him NOT trying to make his own CC decisions anymore...
Never said he would......BUt does RCR really need turning around. He could go drive for somebody else. One thing is for sure.....RG is not going to sit around and watch races every Sunday from the grand stands or his TV. As far as the whole CC deal, he will not do that while driving for somebody. Harvick was the problem child at RCR, not RG.

michael_loomis

I think Harvick was just the bigger issue of the two.

as far as RCR needing turning around.. I think so... I think EVERY team that isnt Hendrick right now is a B team, sadly.

Cadwell

You think Klaus could get a really good deal if he puts a RDC sponsorship on his car for one Race? Come on Klaus time to branch this site out to some Rednecks and show them what racing really is!

Atombomb

I totally understand that Short Course does not pay the big-bucks like nascar does (yet)......... but with such an open schedule next year I would love to see RG a little more seriously involved in one of the series'. Like him or hate him, his destiny is dirt. Nascar does not need RG, Short Course does. Robby does not fit in with the tight ass Nascar crowd anyhow. Robby can be himself in the dirt- that is why he will never take a Cup Championship, and, why he is about to win the SCORE championship.

RGFan

I think Harvick was just the bigger issue of the two.

as far as RCR needing turning around.. I think so... I think EVERY team that isnt Hendrick right now is a B team, sadly.
I do not know if it is that or if Hendrick needs to be reigned in. Nascar has done it to every other manufacturer but Chevy in the recent years past. And their resources is what allows them to dominate. Hate to say it, but Nascrap needs a salary cap. How you go about enforcing that, I do not know, but they need one.

michael_loomis

I do not know if it is that or if Hendrick needs to be reigned in. Nascar has done it to every other manufacturer but Chevy in the recent years past. And their resources is what allows them to dominate. Hate to say it, but Nascrap needs a salary cap. How you go about enforcing that, I do not know, but they need one.
wow... its like you copy and pasted that from an RG interview mini me!! :D

Mumzy

Robby Gordon is the Madonna of Motorsports.....

.....always re-inventing himself.
:cool:

kaw500

And so the final Driver/Owner in CUP slowly sails off into the sunset.
Does anyone know what races he is committed to in 2010.

Racbaja

Heres an idea, RG fans can help Robby for 1 race. Everyone puts in 20.00 and in return you get your name on the car. RGM will post multiple pictures of car on their website so everyone who sponsored the car can get a picture of their name on the car. Just a thought.

Ron Plunkett
Plunkett Racing 557

michael_loomis

Sails off.... WTF???

Rides off Rex.. Rides off!!