• Forum membership has its advantages....

RG in yet another Mag.

Jimmy8

The newest issue of Rally XS magazine, has a short article on RG where they are talking about the Race of Champions. It says he has to be one of the best all around drivers in the world. I goes on to talk about he came from off road racing, used to race the baja, ect. It also says that 2 years ago Ford of Europe offered him a ride in a Focus for the WRC, and to be team mates with Colin Mcrae. RG said if it were not for NASCAR he would be rally racing right now. Anyways kind of cool since it is a mag from england. Definatly a magazine worth picking up if you can find it here in the states, but it will run you 8 bucks that is well worth the price.

"On A Mission"

Rory

Crayola Killer
Jimmy, your right, RallyX magazine rocks. I've been picking it up the last couple months at a book store out here.

Racers Only

Curtis Guise

Administrator
"RG said if it were not for NASCAR he would be rally racing right now"

Come on Robby.... what were you thinking.....

flying through blind corners in europe sideways sounds a little more fun than going in circles... but maybe that's just me. I'm sure they would have paid good too. Maybe not as much as NASCAR, but still...

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
HES GONNA BE ON NASCAR TV IN...NOW

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.csupomona.edu/~kjhernandez>My Web Page</A>

Jimmy8

Have you seen the houses and stuff the WRC guys have. They put NASCAR to shame. They are making way more money than NASCAR. 2nd to only F1 I believe, and it would take one hell of a rally driver to top Micheal Shumachers 33 Million a year contract from Ferrari.

"On A Mission"

DPpatrol

"Have you seen the houses and stuff the WRC guys have. They put NASCAR to shame. They are making way more money than NASCAR. 2nd to only F1 I believe..."

It is amazing how much more money and prestige there is in European Racing than America, especially now that CART is going down the craper.

jason

Gabe Lara

There was a good write up of him in the LA Times sports page on Thurs.
The even mentioned Jimmy Johnson, and that they came from the desert.
Gave a brief history of his on-road career, how much pure talent he has, and that how some feel its his time to win now......And with the car he's driving and team he is on, I think so!

DPpatrol

"what was he thinking to pass that up??? "

He'd have to live in Europe for starters. : )

jason

Jimmy8

Regardless, RG is a heck of driver in any race car, and I honestly think he can win in anything whether it be NASCAR, off road, rally, or Formula 1. The guy has unbelievable talent and I understand why we would pass up on rally. Whether we like it or not NASCAR is the hottest thing going, and living in Europe probably had a lot to do with it.

"On A Mission"

DPpatrol

"NASCAR is the hottest thing going"

Sadly, in America that is true. However there is probably no one in any other country who gives a flying rats ass about NASCAR. That shows the sorry state of american auto racing that our most popular form of the sport has almost no importance anywhere else in the world. I look foward to the day when american auto racing is world wide looked upon just as highly as Formula 1.

jason

Waldo

Safehouse
What about all the foreign drivers in IRL and CART?

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Jimmy8

My personal favorite is IRL, and as far as CART goes, I think Penske put one of the final nails in the coffin when he went to IRL. It cant survive without the INDY 500, and changing the motor rule for 2003 pissed a lot of manufacturers off because now they have to spend all that money to R and D another motor. Speaking of that, getting my tickets today for the IRL Indy 200 in Phoenix. :)

"On A Mission"

Waldo

Safehouse
I was commenting on DPpatrol's post. He mentioned the popularity of F1 and other circuits around the world. There are numerous foriegn drivers in the states because that is where the opportunities are. Gil de Feran, Dario Franchitti, Max Papis, Bruno Junquera (sp?), Helio Castroneves, Paul Tracy, and a host of others in IRL, CART, INDY LIGHTS, ATLANTIC SERIES, ETC.

In the good 'ol US of A there are more opportunities to race competitively. In Europe, the F1 curcuit travels from country to country. They have a large fan base, just like NASCAR. However, the cost it takes to run an F1 campaign is many times greater than NASCAR, IRL or CART. The chasis alone can cost you more than $1 million.

There isn't any other country in the world that has a racing circuit like NASCAR. They run about 40 races per year...in the same country. They revenue generated in this country by NASCAR is far greater than F1's 19 races in different countries. I like NASCAR (can you tell) and the ugly-a$$ white trash that goes along with it (everybody has a little white trash in them!).

I also dig F1...the caliber is top notch but completely out of reach for many teams to even attempt. Therefore, I think european drivers have a better chance to compete and make money here in the states. More competitive cicuits to campaign.

NHRA kicks ass too! Food for thought...one cylinder of a Top Fuel car makes more horse power than most trophy truck motors and Winston cup car motors.

Swamp Buggy racing is cool too. I saw one buggy crash into another one the other day. Both drivers and co-drivers got out in the mud and started exchanging punches (with their helmets still on...stupid). But if was funny nonetheless.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

BradM

I find it amusing how so many dez heads are baggin' on NASCAR in favor of IRL or Cart. Look at the attendance of a cup race at any given track compared to the attendance of a cart or IRL race at the same track. Winston cup draws 150,000 plus fans and a sold out crowd and either the IRL or cart are hard pressed to pull in a measly 20,000 fans. In fact, most tracks like Pheonix and Fontana and others are having to schedule their IRL and cart races on the same weekend as a Bucsh race or CST race just to try to lure more fans. The open wheel racing like that is nearly dead in the US and F1 is dying overseas too. The problem with F1 is all of the new rules that are being created in attempts to slow the cars down. Another big problem with the open wheel racing from a spectator's point of view is that there are usually only a couple of drivers or teams that are capable of winning every week. That is just not the case in Winston cup anymore. Fans like stock car racing because they can relate to it at the local level. Yeah, it's not as sophisticated and some may consider it "back woods racing" but it is where the fans are and it is where the prestige is for most drivers. You say that no one overseas cares about NASCAR and I wouldn't disagree with that in general terms. However, I have two guys in my office this week for training and one is from Norway and the other from the UK. They are racing fans like most of us. They both follow F1, WRC, CART, IRL, and NASCAR. In fact, one even said that watching a NASCAR Winston cup race in person is dream of his.

Dezert racing is unlike any other sport and it is intense but it does not draw the fan base or the media attention. It never will. Take Jimmy Johnson for example. Most people couldn't tell you who he was or what he did before his first ride in a stock car. However, after this season if he is successful in the 48 car, he will be known by millions. It is not because of his racing abilities but because of the exposure.

I have been around racing most of my life and I would bet money that anyone here would jump at the chance to drive a stock car at 190 MPH at Fontana. Don't knock something that you haven't tried just because it doesn't appeal to you on TV. It's a different story when you're in the car. It may not be the most entertaining thing on TV but racers are racers. It race go-carts if I had nothing else to do. So would you.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein

Jimmy8

I in know way am bagging on Nascar. I am a huge fan. never miss a race on the tube, unless I am at an off road race. I am a fan of all of the nascar series, irl, cart, f1, wrc, off road, drag racing, sprints, and even go kart racing. Out of all of the above asphalt catagories I find IRL my personal favorite. Mainly because I am a great fan of open wheel, but also because of the costs involved between that and cart. IRL racing is a lot cheaper than cart, and I find the racing a lot better. Another reason is look at the racers in it. They are not all rich south american millionares, you have grocery baggers from the local safeway, kind of like nascar. They are regular people, and for the most part they didnt buy their way into the drivers seat, they earned it. One thing I love about nascar is that it started out kind of like the state of off road is in now. I just read a book called "The Wildest Ride" and it is about the history of nascar. Read the book and tell me that nascar wasnt comparable to off road with their 20 different promoters they started with, then look at what state they are in now. I would never say off road will not have the fan base nascar does. The right cards just have to fall into place. WRC has the fan base nascar does, and they are very similar to off road desert racing. Anything can happen.

"On A Mission"

DPpatrol

I didn't mean to knock American racing, it is very true there are lots of oportunities for racers to find a seat here. I like American racing, Off-Road, drag racing, Indy (before IRL left and Indy became CART), ALMS are some of my favorite forms of racing. There are also plenty of very talented drivers here, proof of this is how well Juan Montoya is doing in F1 (granted he's not an American driver, but he did race CART, although I believe he was brought up racing Formula 2000 or 3000 in Europe). My promblem with American racing is that like BajaWaldo said there are no multi million dollar cars like in F1. I realize there has to be affordable racing, but there is also something to be said about cutting edge multi million dollar cars. My frustration lies in that our country put a man on the moon multible times, but our nations largest car manufacturer (the worlds as well), GM, can't even build a car that is at least somewhat competitive in World Class Racing such as Le Mans (think cadillac LMP)? The GM corvette team doesn't count, they only started to win once the ORECA vipers quit racing (remember that even though the vipers were American cars, ORECA was a French team). Granted, it is cool to see the Saleens doing well. Going along with this, when was the last time you heard of an American F1 team? BAR with there headquarters in England and Honda motors doesn't count. Hopefully the rumored Red Bull sponsered all American team will change from a rumor to reality.
In my eyes we live in the greatest country in the world. Our country is the most prosperous, most powerful, and most technologically advanded country in the world, and yet there is no way you can say top level American racing, NASCAR, IRL, CART, is on the same technological level as top level European racing, F1 and WRC.

jason