• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rhino lining whole truck?

I have seen some pic on the internet of truck with rhino lined body's what is the benefit of this? what would be the cost? how much more weight would it add to the truck? would Line X be better for the body seance it is a thinner coat?

craigincali

It looks like **
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!****
¡Ay, caramba!** !!! The advantage, NONE. You can never sell it. It adds alot more weight than paint, Line X is better IMO....

I had a buddy go from body line down on a 94 dodge extended cab. It filled in a lot of flaws from rocks being thrown from the tires. It actually looked good but was just way to pricey.

pwerwagn

My dads 86 CJ-7 is 100000% line-x'ed Hemi orange and black. Interior, exterior, under hood, dash, etc. The price was somewhat reasonable (but we did all the prep), it was far cheaper than quite a few top quality paint jobs, but ~3x the price of a cheap paint job. Im sure it added some weight, but no more than a couple hundy pounds.

We also line-x the undersides of all the fiberglass on our trucks. It keeps rocks from starring the gel-coat. My 04 dodge glassworks' are all chipped from the bottom up (no line x) from rocks.

When it comes time for me to paint my cummins ramcharger pre runner, I will do line-x from the body line down, and perhaps a lot of the interior/underneath. It helps kill rattles, helps with heat rejection, insulation, etc.

CraigMT

A guy we raced with built a huge mud racing truck and Rhino lined the whole thing red.

1) The immediate drawback, besides weight, was that it became impossible to get really clean. Lots of little nooks and crannys in Rhino Lining where dust/mud hide out. It always looked dirty.

2) Mud can hang on to that rough surface in HUUUUGE chunks.

3) After two seasons of sun it had faded to a powdery whitish pink... and that was in Montana where we get waaaaay less direct sun than you guys do.

4) You should see how hard he worked to strip that stuff off the third season... WOW! Heat gun and spatula's for days.

On the plus side, dents were no big thing. Just pop them back out, and it hid the wrinkles well. I use Line-X on the under side of my fiberglass to help prevent the rock starring mentioned above.

pwerwagn

A guy we raced with built a huge mud racing truck and Rhino lined the whole thing red.

1) The immediate drawback, besides weight, was that it became impossible to get really clean. Lots of little nooks and crannys in Rhino Lining where dust/mud hide out. It always looked dirty.

2) Mud can hang on to that rough surface in HUUUUGE chunks.

3) After two seasons of sun it had faded to a powdery whitish pink... and that was in Montana where we get waaaaay less direct sun than you guys do.

4) You should see how hard he worked to strip that stuff off the third season... WOW! Heat gun and spatula's for days.

On the plus side, dents were no big thing. Just pop them back out, and it hid the wrinkles well. I use Line-X on the under side of my fiberglass to help prevent the rock starring mentioned above.
Was his line-x with xtra? I have the front of my 04 cummins line-x'd white (grill, bumper, etc) and I have no problem cleaning it or keeping it clean. Maybe the xtra keeps stuff from sticking? Mine has been on that truck (which lives outside, here in the NM desert) for ~2 years with no chalking/fading etc. My dads jeep is orange, but with Xtra...and similar results. I actually find it easier to clean to be honest.

I have seen old non-xtra'ed line x that was red in the bed of a truck and it looked TERRIBLE. Didnt look red at all anymore!!

CraigMT

He used actual Rhino Lining on his truck. The surface was just a little bit less rough than stucco!

The Line-X is a LOT smoother... I can't comment on it fading, the only place I have it sprayed is under the 'glass fenders.

5racer

the stuff is very flammable and you wont get it out with your everyday extinguisher ,i would never put any on a race car .it would be a long lasting paint job thats for sure ,the new trucks would fold in as thin as the body work is now lol.

pwerwagn

the stuff is very flammable and you wont get it out with your everyday extinguisher ,i would never put any on a race car .it would be a long lasting paint job thats for sure ,the new trucks would fold in as thin as the body work is now lol.
I never thought about that! Very good point. I have a few small pieces I might do some expermenting on.