Ricky James Back Flip attempt

824 Dad

RDC Crypto
Here's a another crazy thing my kid just did after planning it for the past year or so.

Keep in mind he is paralyzed from the middle of his chest down ( i think he may have suffered some brain damage when he hurt his back a few years ago by the looks of this latest deal)

By the way as i make this post he is laying in bed recovering from the surgery to repair the shoulder he damaged in the Baja 500. He tried the flip a few days before the surgery. He thought by getting it out of his system before the surgery it would make the next 3 months of recovery bearable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chase 2

RDC Crypto
Ouch!! A face plant in the foam pit has to hurt! Crap, being strapped to the bike isn't going to make it any easier to get out either.

creynolds

RDC Crypto
Stupid!!! Kids just jacking himself up even more. Hes doing a ton of damage to his body that he cant feel. Thats the worst part.

I think it's awesome! It's great that he's not willing to give up and let life pass him by. I don't know him but I have a great deal of respect for anyone who does not let bumps in the road alter their way of life.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
RDC Crypto
I get your point Reynolds. A buddy of mine helps Ricky out with training. He is an ex supercross rider that suffered similar injuries to Ricky's and he doesnt even think its good that hes doing what hes doing to his body. His spine is taking a beating everytime he gets on that bike. Picture driving your prerunner with a solid tube instead of a shock. Same thing

aiiraciing

RDC Crypto
Website
whiteboystoys.com
Didn't David Bailey have some major intestin issue's after riding the same bike Ricky James rode due to being a paraplegic for so many years? And if I remember right, that was just a short ride with his son on a track.

To me its good to see anyone that has suffered an injury like this out on a bike or out just out enjoying his/her life. It would be a waste to sit at home and dwell

Thanks for the Video's

JENN

"Pinky Poodle"
RDC Crypto
Ricky is an inspiration. Racing Baja was intense... Backflipping? Dude's insane!

I thought it was AWESOME that he showed up at Pole Position the other night. He was extremely friendly to every body, Patty Blais got to meet him and I thought that was really awesome. He even did a lil interview thing for a kid who was videoing the Chris Blais event.

Ricky - You are one crazy crazy guy!~ Keep it up though .. It is refreshing and I get goose bumps every time I see you ride!

Ricky's parents (Rick) - I don't know how you guys do it! haha!

bajafoolin'

RDC Crypto
I say, its his spine let him do what he wants to it. I would imagine, of all people he knows best what risks he is taking. Its awesome to see a man let nothing stop him from fulfilling his dreams.

WickedGravityVideo

RDC Crypto
Nice, Ricky, and Rick. Hope to see you guys soon -- perhaps at the Pomona Off Road Expo? I will be there with my new motorcycle racing dvd -- TOTALLY MOTO. Hasta La Vista

Young&Fast

RDC Crypto
I get your point Reynolds. A buddy of mine helps Ricky out with training. He is an ex supercross rider that suffered similar injuries to Ricky's and he doesnt even think its good that hes doing what hes doing to his body. His spine is taking a beating everytime he gets on that bike. Picture driving your prerunner with a solid tube instead of a shock. Same thing

So what. Its not working anymore and he is proving you can still live a full live paralyzed. He's really inspirational and calms my fears of a spinal injury a little because I know that I can still live and ride on.

Rhinestone Cowboy

Can i ban pdailey?
RDC Crypto
So what. Its not working anymore and he is proving you can still live a full live paralyzed. He's really inspirational and calms my fears of a spinal injury a little because I know that I can still live and ride on.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.... Calms your fears???? Wow!! When you have a close friend bust his or her neck then come talk to me. It aint in the hospital one day out the next. Take a look at this site. http://www.aaronbakers.com/spinal_cord_injury

This will give you an example of what you will most likely go through after breaking your neck. Its not easy.

Oh yah. He also won the Met Rx award for most improved quadrapalegic ine world a few years back.

Young&Fast

RDC Crypto
I didn't say that I want a spinal injury, or anything close to that but Ricky James getting back on a bike shows that life is anything but over and a spinal injury is not a death sentence.

824 Dad

RDC Crypto
Thanks for all the comments about Ricky both positive and negative.

You know when Ricky was paralyzed it was something he had no control over, someone else made a bad decision and it cost Ricky dearly, he was just 16. He had been riding since he was 5 and wasn't ready to quit. His mom and I would prefer he wouldn't do it but it's in his blood, both of our families have been riding and racing since the late 60's. My thought is he's going to do it whether I want him to or not so being involved it with him we can put our heads together to do it as safe for him and his body as we can. Ricky is a very smart and accomplished rider and doesn't do things beyond what he thinks he can handle. He trains on special equipment at home to keep the parts of his body he can't move in the best shape he can so his lower body can stand up to the abuse. He wears a special back/ab brace to support his back and transfer the load to his hips. we have xrays taken often of his back to keep an eye on his spine and also bone density tests to see where the weak points are developing as paraplegics suffer from bone loss.Ricky also wears a leatt neck brace which I don't see too many off road guys using yet??

He understands the risks better than most and realizes one mistake can end all this fun. similar risks that each of us face when we get on a bike, quad or get in an off road car/truck.

As far as go carts go, we have one with hand controls, about 90mph and to tell you the truth is scares me more than the bike, open wheel, no cage. There are a lot of neck injuries in that sport you don't hear about. We bought a West Coast Pro truck and he's giving pavement racing a try.

The former SX champion that trains Ricky? I think your referring to David Bailey who is very close to Ricky, I've never heard a negative word about Ricky riding from David, we are usually talking about how to make a better padded seat for Ricky to avoid pressure sores or make an improvement to the bike. David did hurt himself on Ricky's bike due to being paralyzed for almost 20 years and riding the bike he cracked some ribs but the real problem was a brewing pressure sore that flared up due to all the activity his system experienced riding, he told me personally he wished he had ridden like that sooner when his body was in better shape because he loved it. By they way Ricky is contemplating doing the Iron man triathlon in a year of so and David ids going to help train him for that, David won that race in 2000 i think?

For those of you that support him thanks and for those of you that think he's insane, I don't know what to say?? maybe say a prayer for him to stay safe.

824 Dad

justgobig

RDC Crypto
Website
www.socaltundras.com
Sad to see someone call another stupid because he has a friend in a close situation still isnt the same i would love to see you call ricky stupid to his face, look past your ignorance and see what he can give to other people in his situation with inspiration and hope.

WickedGravityVideo

RDC Crypto
Hello Rick and Ricky -- thanks for the update and background info on your riding and future plans, Ricky! Let me be there to chase you with my video cam!!! Hope to see you in the near future -- perhaps at Pomona Off Road Show? I should have my new motorcycle racing video done, TOTALLY MOTO! You get one of the first copies! Later Doug