Ridgecrest

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Well, the MDR race in this weekend will be the first race in Ridgecrest ( for our group) and we have some questions about it. First is, how exactly do you get to Ridgecrest from HWY 395? The closest we have gotten to there is passing through on 395 on the way to the Sierra's to go fishing, so is the turnoff for Ridgecrest the same as China Lake? ANyways, since we do not know the area we were thinking of staying in a hotel in Ridgecrest versus camping like we usually do at MDR races. Is that a good idea? I have heard that the town where contingency is held is a 20 minute drive from the start/finish area, is this true? If we do camp are there good spots? Also, what are some good spots to watch? And is the area completely open ( accept the race course) like all of the other MDR races? Anyone know of some good spots to watch? Thanks in advance for any info....

Anyways, besides all of that stuff, anyone know of some good cars or trucks running that usually don't run MDR? I talked to Harley Letner at tech last race and he said they were going to run their Mike SMith built all independant Trophy Truck this race, but that was a while ago so plans might have changed, but as far as I know he still is.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
sorry eric cant help ya on any of your questions but im gonna hijack the thread now

whos all planning on heading up to ridgecrest this weekend? im wondering since its a bit of a drive will this race be like the last two where everyone shows up for a little fun folowing contengincy

1992f150

Reaction
china lake is the military base right? If so its touching ridgecrest basicly, you go one way on the road and you hit the base without leaving town...

SuperDave

Reaction
The MDR Ridgecrest 300 race should be great. The weather is expected to be in the mid 80's and there's still a little greenery from the winter/spring rains. Some of the sage brush is upto 8-9 feet tall.

If taking Hwy 395 north, take the Trona Road turn off just past Red Mountain. Continue for roughly 10 miles and about 1/2 mile before the railroad tracks, turn right onto the Teagle Wash dirt road. After about a mile you'll reach the gas line road. Turn left and pick a place to setup your main pit. There's more directions on MDR's website. http://www.mdrracing.com/calendar/Ridgecrest_300.htm

If you want to head strait into town, take 395 past Trona Road, past Johannesburg, and take China Lake Blvd. into town. There's a bunch of hotels there and rooms are $50-80 per night. Then to get out to main pit, take Ridgecrest Blvd. to Trona Road and head south to Teagle Wash Road. It's about a 15 minute trip.

If you camp, you have two choices. Main pit or Wagon Wheel. Wagon Wheel is where Pit A and Check Point 1 is going to be. It's right off Trona Road.

The off-road area is 95% open. Stay away from the Wilderness area to the south, the BLM restricted area to the far east, and the Military base to the north. The entire gas line road is closed off because the race course uses parts of it and crosses it twice.

For spectating, try any part of the race course between Trona Road and gas line road (mile 4-8), Wagon Wheel, Pits A, B, and C, Road Crossing 3, and mile 14.2.

Dave

frankh

Reaction
If you are taking photo's or video's go to mile 1.5-2 . if you follow the course it is between the sweeping right and the 180 left. Anyway there is a place where you cross a wash and it a prefect lanch ramp. it is better than where you come down the hill into s/f.

4x4Yota

Reaction
Teagle Wash OHV area is where the course is at right? So you are allowed to ride quads there right?

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Well, the race was great! We found a couple of excellent spots to watch from. The weather was good accept the wind, but it was not bad at all, compared to last race anyway. Wanzek showed up and raced his 7 open Ranger and was absolutely flying, but it didn't seem he ran all of his laps, maybe he DNFed? I'm pretty sure Dan and Fish ( and Gregg) led 1450 the majority of the race, when they came around for their second lap and every lap after that they seemed to have a few minutes on the next truck in the class, congrats guys! Pretty sure the class 1 winner was that orange car, too bad Letner didn't show up in the TT. Another car that was also hauling some ass was Seeley in his class 5. Another great MDR race, too bad we weren't too familiar with the area, but next year will be better because we know it a little more now. Anyone have any results? Stories? WHile watching on Gasline Road a 7s hit a jump way fast and got some good air, about 50 feet after the the lip of the jump his wheels were about 5.5 feet in the air, and he sailed about 50 feet almost farther than that, and I was standing a little too close, scared the crap out of me, but it came out great on video.

This race had the least amount of entries, how come? Nobody likes Ridgecrest as far as being a racer? The course seemed very fast, atleast where we were anyway. Is it because it is so far away to get there?

desertracer

Reaction
We had a fun time out there, although we did not finish. We were running good, not too fast, until the end of lap 4 after a driver change and fuel when our motor leaned out and siezed up as we went through start finish. Not sure what happened, fuel injection should be smart enough to know to adjust the fuel mixture.As for the lower entries, could the fact that the baja 500 is coming up in a few weeks hurt it? I know many of the jeepspeed guys did not run ridgecrest because of the 500.

desertracer

Reaction
I am pretty sure Vessels was running a 16 car with a big class 10 vw motor. He was flying int that thing. The course was rough enough that it seemed to favor a lighter more nible car. Seeley was flying as well all day long.

Vessels

Troublemaker
Reaction
Showed up at the race with the number 1605 to run 1600 class. Found out there was only one entry in class 1/2-1600. So my partner Dan martin and I decided to run class 10 because that was the biggest class. Talked about taking the restrictor plate off but decided not too. Ran a 1/2-1600 legal car in class ten and did great. Not one problem. BFGoodrich tires ran great as expecteded with no flats. Haven't had a flat yet in 2 years with BFGoodrich tires in this class. I cant even see any other tire choice in race tires, trust me. My partner Dan Martin ran a great race, very fast with no prolblems at all. Yes our motor was a 1/2-1600 legal motor with the restrictor plate. Overall with a restrictor plate..... what happened to those guys? Anyway it was a lot of fun and a very rough course wich is the only way a 1/2-1600 car can win a race like this. I hope some of you people that take these cars for granted will take a second glance in the future now. Anyway great race I would like to thank the Checkers for the pitting service, picture perfect as usual.

-Kash Vessels

snoreracer

Reaction
Congratulations Kash , you have a couple of ten car drivers scratching there heads. With a 1600 at $25,000 and a 10 car at $60,000.

Attachments

• 56284-snr-r8-06.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 144

Tom_Willis

Reaction
That's your second overall win in MDR, right? You had an overall at Barstow a while back? Must of surprised a lot of unlimited cars. Great job!

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Kash when you guys came by me in the wash I was like what the hell was that a 1600 car with 10 car numbers??? And he is flying lol. Congrats on the overall!

daltonfixr

Reaction
that\'s a fast 1600 car

I under estimated that 1600 car also. I started right behind him and thought to myself "I'll be passing him in the first 5 miles" NOT! I kept saying to my co-driver "Damn that guy is fast". I could catch him in the fast sections and maybe keep up in the rough, but I was tearing my car up. I ended up smoking the motor at mile marker 30 during the second lap. BUT I HAD A BLAST!

desertracer

Reaction
Re: that\'s a fast 1600 car

I guess this goes to show that dollar for dollar class 16 is the fastest. On the first lap that one new Jimco honda 10 car got by us and then you came by us towards the end of that lap. You looked smooth in that car all day long. Congrats on your overall win.

JCA

Reaction
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
WHile watching on Gasline Road a 7s hit a jump way fast and got some good air, about 50 feet after the the lip of the jump his wheels were about 5.5 feet in the air, and he sailed about 50 feet almost farther than that, and I was standing a little too close, scared the crap out of me, but it came out great on video.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you post that video or mail it to me? I dont know if that was me or not, I was hitting that jump pretty good but whoever it is I am sure they will want a copy and I will make sure to get them a copy. Dont worry I will give you the kuduos (sp) for the video.

elcaprerunner

Reaction
Hey JC, I only have a Sony 8mm camara, so I really cannot post it unless some one in the area ( kritter, sbro maybe? I'm in San Dimas) has a firewire connection. I would be more than happy to record it onto a VHS tape and mail it to you if you would like. The 7s I was talkin about that jumped that big was a red extended cab Ranger #740, I think the one built by H&amp;M? Anyways, yes you were hitting that jump big as well JCA, I got some good footage of you too, and like I said before I would be more than happy to record and send it to you.

P.S. I replied to your PM you sent me, did you get it?