Rigid chase light for racing?

Lamby77

Hi, just contemplating ordering some rigid industries “chase” lights to go on the back of my buggy, I’m wanting to know how suitable they are for racing?
Are they bright enough during the daytime? How bright is the blue strobe?
Anybody had experience with these lights?
Thanks
Daniel

Honda48X

Good question. I would like to hear thoughts on this as well. It’s either those of the full length 30 inch rear light bar. Thoughts on both please.

Lamby77

Of course they’ll tell you they are very bright if you call them, I want to know from people who race how good they are and if they are as bright as advertised?
No point dropping a heap of cash on a full set of these lights if they aren’t up to the job!

Wendell #527

Most of us run rear facing lights that are bigger and brighter. In heavy silt (when you really want them to work well) they wouldn’t be seen as quickly as full lights. But yea they would “work”. I wouldn’t run them.

crafty

Most of us run rear facing lights that are bigger and brighter. In heavy silt (when you really want them to work well) they wouldn’t be seen as quickly as full lights. But yea they would “work”. I wouldn’t run them.
So what size and products are you running?

MTPyle

All I can say is Rigid is amazing at service for racers. I sent in some trashed lights for repair and they sent back new ones for free. Can’t beat that.

Oh and our rigid light package on our 6100 was amazing this weekend.

Mike

Wendell #527

So what size and products are you running?
. I currently run 8” pods on front and for rear facing lights I run one Ridgid SR and 4 Empi LEDs. I have no problem with Ridgid. I run Ridgid little square lights on my quads and the Ridgid SR as my back up light on the race car works great. But it puts out close to 3000 lumens. I think the Ridgid Chase series are what—- 700 lumens? Something like that. I just want them brighter. I’ve been hit in the rear when in the silt so to me brighter is better. I would consider running a couple amber Ridgid SRs but not the Chase series.

crafty

Good to know. Thank you. I need to add a blue light to my vintage truck. Does the light need to be solid or strobe? I have some old school kc ambers that aren’t to bright

I don't think brightness of a collision light is the issue when the opacity of thick dust/silt is the problem, if it was, we'd use high mount HID or Daylighters in fog rather than fog lights down low.

I think a wide beam, visible from many angles, is best. Flood, not spot or pencil beam.

Visible light does not go through solids, it reflects back, just like the moon does with sunlight.

Ever noted how, when your helmet visor is covered in silt, you can't even see your hands on the wheel?

That's often a clue to get off the accelerator for a moment. Or, sometimes, a clue to press just a little harder. ;)

Wendell #527

Curmie you are getting more senile than I am. Of course you don’t run spots facing the rear. But geezif you think dimmer can be seen better than brighter in dust, you need go switch doctors or psychiatrist or something! You old fart

I was thinking about switching doctors.

Turn on a bright light in your closet, shut the door and go outside. Can you see it?

No light is as good as a bright light when opaque material exists between viewer and subject.

A too bright light might have motivated me to bump rather than follow. ;)

Bro_Gill

Curmy doesn't know anything about lighting. He has NO experience with lights. I know this for a fact. He won't even come out of his cave to visit me at the Parker Race!

LOL, BG. It might have rained, or the wind might have blown or I might have made a wrong turn at Vicksburg Junction. Mostly though, I admit I DGAF much anymore about Graham Wells, or any pit with a 25 MPH speed limit.

I started working with theatrical lighting in '66, photographic lighting in '73, television lighting since '74, HID lighting in '82, and LED lighting since I got a coupon at Harbor Freight last year.

I miss the overhead projectors with clear dishes, mineral oil and food coloring the most though, haven't done a light show for Jefferson Airplane* since '69.

Still hang up my strings of C-9s come Christmastime. :)

* or was it The Flying Burrito Brothers???

Last edited:

MTPyle

LOL mineral oil and CRT’s. Now that brings back memories. Haha guys these day have no idea how hard we had to work to get a good image from a projector.

And the 25 mph pits sucked for spectators and racers. My family was like “what the hell was that” they all agreed it was the worst race to go to as a crew.

Mike