RIP Art Savedera

Tipracer

Reaction
Art is and will always be a legend. He was such a nice person, and he always had time to talk with you.
He will be missed by many. My condolences to his family.
Via con dios Art.

9rocky

Reaction
19243212_1373969319351733_8714383402954949407_o.jpg
Godspeed Art.

Last edited:

fathead

Reaction
Website
www.concreteinspectors.com
If you showed Art a picture of me, he probably wouldn't have a clue who I am. But every time I talked to him in Baja he spoke like we were old friends that only saw each other in Baja. And always had a hug for my wife haha. Rip Art

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Reaction
Website
www.offroadaction.com
SCORE just sent this PR.

June 16, 2017

SCORE International family mourning tragic passing

Of beloved long-time SCORE Tech Director Art Savedra

ENSENADA, Baja California, Mexico—SCORE International and its family of race volunteers are mourning the loss today of beloved, long-time SCORE Tech Director Art Savedra who passed away from a sudden heart attack Thursday night at home with his family in Las Vegas.

Savedra, a fixture in desert racing for nearly 40 years, was the owner of A.R.T.S (All Race Tech and Safety) of Las Vegas and worked with SCORE International in the tech department of its desert racing series since 1980 and held the position of SCORE Tech Director since 2012.

“Words don’t come easy at times like this and Art impacted so many of us in desert racing in multiple ways that his loss truly leaves a gaping hole in our hearts and in our sport,” commented Roger Norman, SCORE CEO/President. “One of our sport’s greatest friend passed away last night. Art volunteered himself selflessly to SCORE and many other organizations for 38 years.

“Three years ago Art became Tech Director of SCORE after being a part-time Tech volunteer for 33 years. He was co-tech director with Jake Velasco for two years and the man in charge at SCORE Tech for the last three years. I personally will never forget how many times he told me he was so very proud to be the SCORE Tech Director. We have lost our best friend.”

Born in Wilmington, Calif. on July 20, 1954, Savedra graduated from Banning High School in 1972 and also took advanced classes at Harbor College. With a deep and lasting interest in racing and race vehicles, he also took special automotive classes at Riverside International Raceway and Willow Springs Raceway.

Savedra started A.R.T.S. right out of high school and a near fatal vehicle accident that left him with third and fourth-degree burns over 85 percent of his body didn’t change his life direction. It served to make him even more passionate about not only the technical side of racing but also the all-important safety aspects of the sport and industry.

Since his accident, Savedra worked tirelessly to express the importance of safety, especially in the area that affected his life so much. Savedra had 56 surgeries to help his recovery and he spent countless hours, days, weeks and months since speaking to students and professional groups regarding fire safety. His talks with children emphasized ‘stop, drop and roll’ fire safety and to the parents he spoke strongly regarding burn care and burn prevention.

Savedra gravitated to desert racing in 1980 and through his company (A.R.T.S.) became a highly-valued friend of both racer and racing organizations as he worked with several groups up to the time of his passing.

With SCORE, Savedra had a significant role in developing both technical and safety changes in the current SCORE rule book which is the standard for the sport.

Known by many as ‘The Tech Dude’, Savedra’s many special sayings included, “Have fun, be safe and see you in the desert.”

As well-loved as he was in the desert racing community, his grandest legacy he has left behind is his loving caring family.

Although he traveled extensively in his work, he was at home with his family when he passed away on Thursday night. In addition to his countless friends and extended family, Savedra leaves behind his loving wife Suzie, his son Guy, his daughter Ivy, his daughter-in-law Lucy and his three grandchildren—Amber, Andre and Quinn.

VIEJAS_RACING

Reaction
Vaya con Dios, mi amigo. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends. Art Savedra is a huge part of Desert Racing and will greatly be missed.

CLASS 11 PRO

Reaction
I remember meeting Art back in the late 90s when I worked for Bilstein , One of the coolest guys ever
Rest in peace Buddy

Klaus

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction
The good memories and impact Art left on many of us will stay forever.
We extend to the close family and friends our most heartfelt sorrow and condolences.

Jessaca

Reaction
Website
www.wickedracingca.com
Such a sad day for the racing community. Art was always such a nice guy to us. He always was great with any questions we had.
We will miss him and all that he brought to score. (And the pens. Lol. He was always giving me pens when I saw him. )

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I showed up at the track in Barstow with my 7s SCORE legal race truck I had just built according to the SCORE rulebook... I asked someone "who do I talk to about racing my truck???"... They pointed toward a motorhome... I went inside, the curtains were pulled shut, it was dark... Art was laying on the sofa.... He told us what to do, and how to enter the race....we were white as ghosts when we left that motorhome.... We spent the rest of the day wondering if we really wanted to race off road.... My baby daughter bonded with him immediately.... She would always high five him at contingency and get pictures taken and stuff...
Years later he told me that he crashed a street bike and the fuel tank caught fire...
I credit him for every bit of safety implementation on my truck, in my pits, my endless fuel tank vent, my hose clamped window nets... ...EVERYTHING safety in my world of racing was based on what Art Savedra said.... He is legendary in off road racing....!!!!! Not a bad driver either..:D

Mohr

Reaction
I first met Art at the '87 Parker 400 and all through the years I raced, was always the nicest and fairest to all the racers...pre, and post tech...God Speed...who ever replaces him has GIGANTIC shoes to fill!

johnboy

Reaction
RIP my friend, Patrice and I have enjoyed Arts company for many years. Art set the bar high but with respect for all. His endless drive and enthusiastic demeanor has impressed me since we met, and his ability to mentor and set an example for young and old alike is unmatched. If we could all live life as if each day is a bonus from the last, like Art has for ever, the world would be a better place. We will miss you dearly, our thoughts and prayers are extended to all your family.

Shannon

Bear on a Unicycle
Reaction
Man.. what a bummer, just like any other racer meet him at tech, I think it was an MDR race , very helpful and fair , I remember talking to him about racing a 5 car if I can remember correctly , just like all racers you could see more animation and enthusiasm when he talked about it.
The best memory I have is when I had a little tiny cut in my race suit.. I mean so small I didn't notice it.. he gave me the once over about it and then proceeded to give me a needle and thread... to fix..

Class guy , I huge loss for the racing community for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Fourstroker

Reaction
Bummed for sure. Spent plenty of races with him and his team when Guy was racing MORE and MDR and pitted with the FAIR group. I even to got to race in the yellow bug once with him.