RIP Art, you will be missed...

3 Amigos Racing

Reaction
Race on Art.. He was so cool to our Class 9 team...at the 9 Big Race he came to wheel our Trans.. We tried but we only had first gear left lol..he smiled and said we must had a good time and congrats and to push my POS out of there and get a beer..
RIP Art.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Know the guy from 2 separate areas of life. Art was a great guy away from the track as well. Fast Lap up there Art!

BUDMAN975

Reaction
Via con dios amigo! I met him for the first time in 1988 at the 1000 when my pops ran class 9, he teched my first race car in 2002 and immediately became a friend and I looked forward to seeing him. My thoughts and prayers are with Guy and his family.

Psycho 910

Reaction
One time he was teching my old car right after I just put new belts in. He said " hay your belts are no good" I said " what are you talking about, they are brand new ?" He said " yea their not made yet !!" They were punched for one mouth ahead. Rest In Peace Art you will be surly missed.

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

ACME

Reaction
A few funny C9 Art stories (names have been deleted to protect the innocent):

Our gang was teching our herd of cars at Slash X and one of our guys arrived a little later than most of us. This brand new SS 9 car arrived, with a glittery new paint job, a deservedly proud owner and a hoard of people oogling over it.

We all hung out as a group, helping each other as was the fashion of the time... By this point I believe a number of us had partaken of a few "beverages", as was customary; and surely we were cavorting with a certain group of "miss fits" as was the tradition... In other words some of us were slightly lit and helping/causing mischief...

This shiny new steed got pushed into the bar with the proud owner gleaming by it's side as Art starts to work his magic under the careful eye of the owner. Art finishes with the car and gives it the thumb up and carefully places the tech sticker on, precisely in the owners requested location (as the anxious owner oversees the process). Art turns to the owner and says "Helmet and driving suit": The suit gets inspected and the owner carefully sets it in the car.

At this time we are all standing there drinking and laughing and BS'n with Art during the process as was our SOP...

Art then gets the helmet handed to him and inspects it, sets it on the hood and reaches for a label. The helmet immediately starts to slide down the freshly waxed, glittery, perfect hood and Art in a fluid ninja-like movement, snatches at it with his "Arm". The owner/driver is watching in terror as Art's hook is clanking off his new beauty as he's trying to catch it from sliding off. At some point during this slow motion incident: I believe the phrase: "Art, not the hook!" or something similar was loudly uttered... Without missing a beat Art snags and tags the helmet and hands it back to the owner. We all laugh, poke fun and the car is pushed to the side and the next c-9 in line (which I believe belonged to a slightly-overly skinny local kid in our group and the vehicle slightly resembled a piece of playground equipment) takes it's place with a less scrutinizing owner.

Of course "HelmetGate" happened in front of all us including the aforementioned "Miss Fits" and most if not all of us were in a very jovial state. Two small white marks on the hood (the only marks on this beautiful new swinger) had the owner was slightly animated, were evidence of his recent encounter with the hook. Being a group that picked at scabs... a certain Hispanic horticulturist in our clan, laughing his a$$ off to the owner, says: "You didn't just say; Whoa Whoa Whoa NOT THE CLAW ART!!!" We all died laughing and the joke around our little social network was watch out for the hook at tech!

Over the next few tech's; A certain "Good Book" founds it's way into our gangs possession strategically stashed in cars/helmets. A real pleaser of the crowds: Placed a certain fetish video (which was made the rounds) in my helmet bag with Art it carefully placed in various obvious spots. All led to a lot of laughs and red faces which were influenced by a lot of Jack, Malibu, Captain, Vodka and Beer!

I remember a race we won where I drove a few laps in a swinger with a friend. It was 900 degrees in Lucerne and we were waiting in the shade of Red's RV for the third place car to finish prior to them doing post tech: Handsome Harry got 3rd. When Harry and Chris finally arrived Art asked: "You tell me what you want from the first two cars", Harry looked at him with a smile as if he won the B1k and said: "Hell, these are my friends I trust them". Art replied with a smile: "I know them too and I wouldn't...".

A few others... Art chased my wifes badly smoking 11 car with a fire extinguisher in Ridgecrest about 200' after Donald/Red released us from a quick post tech after her win. We stopped after seeing him running and waiving and he out of breath says, "is it on fire": We respond no, we lost oil pressure a few miles back and the motor was done so WTF we'd drive it back. He lays under it to find the drain plug came out and was on the skid plate and then wanted to tow us back...

When he last came to the house to "Tag" Big Red I was out of town and my wife handled the deal. He showed about 6PM and talking slowed the process as he knew my wife as the "lady racer" and always hugged and talked with her... She ran in @ 7 to make a quick dinner and made a plate for Art. I was overseas and got a text at about 11:30PM PST which surprised me, "Art just left after dinner and it's done". I text back, why so late and she replied: "Art and I hung out in the garage all night and I made him dinner"... she explained it all in a call a day or so later. At the next tech Art gave her a hug and said he couldn't wait to tag it again, the Salmon was awesome!

Thanks Art for putting up with our shenanigans and making us all safe! It was a pleasure knowing you, sitting there with you Red & Donald, sharing an occasional drink and having you tech our stuff for all those years. All the times we agreed/disagreed and even argued, it's was always left at that moment, the next encounter all was forgotten as we both knew we wanted the best for the situation. I'm glad we spent some time talking at the 500 and now I wish you would have just come with us as we joked about...

Godspeed and prayers to your family

mrmatt

Reaction
Art was always the highlight of tech. Even when he would igbire me to give my wife a hug. Lol Glad I got to see him one last time at the 500

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk