Rippin' The Baja with JCR

TreyP

"F" you Bill
The annual Rip To The Tip that Cameron Steele and Larry Badgwell put together every year started on Sunday May 3 at Tecate. This year the JCR team joined us for the first day and half of the fun. Johnny Campbell, Colton Udall, Jeff "OX" Kargola, Dan and thier van driver Jeff got to enjoy the craziness of riding with 20 other riders to the south of San Felipe. I was chase and incharge of hauling the cameraman Sean Cary from Monster around for the first couple of days.

The logistics for this trip is insane. You have to have enough space for all the gear and a way to get all the bikes back to the states. There are two chase trucks that are going all the way down. These were driven by Big Daddy/Sean and IIRC Josh and Crazy Eddie and a guy(sorry forgot his name) from Colorado that had never seen the ocean or anything bigger then a lake. He was in for the adventure of his life.

My Dodge and the JCR van were along only for 2 days.

To get an idea of how big the group was:

The first day included fast runs thru the Compadre Trail, the Pine Forest and great food on La Independenecia.

The JCR Crew were interviewed for the upcoming TV show on Fuel:

Several of the locals were excited to see Johnny and Cam, they came out of nowhere to take pictures of them and get an autograph. A young kid was totally stoked to see OX and wanted his picture, I took his camera from him and told him to stand next to OX, he was so excited to get his picture next him. OX was stoked to see a fan. I wish I had got a picture of it now, the kid was in heaven. His smile was ear to ear. I love Baja and the people, they are just incredible.

The next shooting spot was the Goat Trail. Sean and I found a good spot to set up and wait for the riders to go through.

As Johnny and Colton came by they told us we had a rider down and needed to head back up to pull him out.

We gathered up the gear and did a banzi run back up the route to find the rider.

We find Larry not sure were he is and telling us stories that can't be printed.:D

Turns out that Larry forgot that he lost 30 lbs and didn't reset his suspension to compensate for the differance.:eek: He hit the whoops and the bike swaped on him hard.

By the time we hit San Felipe Larry was back to normal and he didn't need medical attention. The dude is tough. He had us cracking up with his stories.

The crew hit SF around 9:00 pm and got a great shot of them at the arches.

More to come. Just got a text that they are in San Iqnasio, all is good with a couple JB welded cases and it is hot.

Last edited:

trent06

Mush
Awesome story and Pictures! The last one should be sent to DirtSports!!!!!

NIKAL

Hey Trey, Great story and even better pictures. The last one at the arches is awesome!

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
sounds like fun i cant wait for next year when my pops and I do that trip :D:D:D:D

SPROCKET

Makes me want to grab my yz and head for baja! thanks for posting.

ADTR14

I was wondring who all the dirtbikers were at the arches in San Felipe. I could hear them revving their engines as we were leaving town after dinner.

nimrod

KOOK!
They have had some more major drama including a pretty serious case of heat exhaustion plus a few solid dismounts that even the Russian judge scored in the high 9's.........

The Sat. phones have been getting a solid workout $$$ kaching!

Ox cased it so hard today that he broke his case....I don't have all the details but somehow in the middle of nowhere they bajarized it got him back up and running again.

I guess this is how you warm up for the 5 hundy!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
They have had some more major drama including a pretty serious case of heat exhaustion plus a few solid dismounts that even the Russian judge scored in the high 9's.........

The Sat. phones have been getting a solid workout $$$ kaching!

Ox cased it so hard today that he broke his case....I don't have all the details but somehow in the middle of nowhere they bajarized it got him back up and running again.

I guess this is how you warm up for the 5 hundy!
OX is an animal. The crew out there can fix anything that comes it way. This is going to be another epic story of a Baja adventure.

Dezertpilot

You should have asked me I am currently "working for the state" and I would have driven chase. Looks awesome, I am very jealous! Be safe and good luck!

deano

McDeano
great pics trey (as usual) -- to bad pub hates websites, or we'd have a killer one ??? -- and i didn't see any drug cartels or any swine goo flowing around in any of the pics :rolleyes: :cool:

Vtr_Racing

I wanna be there!!!!!!!! Made my night at work looking at those pics. Thanks Trey.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
If Pab-o (his name when he crosses the border) is running a SPOT tracker, someone should post up his tracking link, so us poor working schmucks can track him on Google Earth.

Moose McWadd

Ya Larry is tough but he is still a biatch! j/k kinda We usually have him sweeping, lucky someone noticed he was down or maybe he used his radio.

I am a little butt hurt over this ride, I got rookie rider of the Rip last year, then got in a fight with Larry so he didn't want me going this year.

Pab and i had a conversation he felt bad. There is a rule that if you finish you are automatically invited back. Most guys that do this ride don't come back for a 2nd try. Last year was my 2nd attempt I blew my bike up 40 mile from Cabo the year before, DNF did not count.

There are the studs that usually do it every year like, Brit, Connor, Bruce, Moss and of course Pab

Yesterday I think it was Connor from Out Law off road got heat exhaustion and had to take a long brake. His wife was watching the tracker and saw he stopped for a long time. She called my wife and was all worried, Most the wives didn't want the guys to go this year.

I will check back in here more if I have updates, Mike, Trey hope all is well with you guys. I have been riding my azz off. I have a full moon ride this Saturday, Its only 100 miles or so, I need to be home for Moms day.

Did Badgewell or Connor trailer up guys? I would love to know for next time I see them. he he

Last edited:

nimrod

KOOK!
I don't really want to post the link to the tracker.....It just seems a little wiser if their exact whereabouts are not posted on a public forum......Nothing personal.....You just don't know who all is lurking about....

Larry did not trailer up.....Conner tried not to trailer but his body was too worked over from the heat exhaustion. The next day he had to jump in a chase truck after a few hours of riding........

Last I knew everyone was good.......

In a general sense of where they are: they should be crossing into Baja Sur today........

Monster and Lucas oil both sent film crews for the first couple of days so who knows what kind of footage might pop up somewhere........