On Topic Rivet nut use

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Anyone ever use 3/8-16 steel knurled rivet nuts before? I am using the recommended drill a 17/32 to make the hole and using a manual installation tool and can't seem to get more than 40 lbs of torque in the bolt I'm inserting.

Setting the rivet nut with wrenches and the manual tool is very difficult too. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Tobin

I've used a few installing skid plates on our VW TDIs and both times I installed them with an impact gun. The most recent install was just a month ago and we used an aluminum plate to hold the assembly into position with washers and the bolt lubed with grease and tightened the bolt with a Makita 18V 1/4-inch impact driver until tight. Then after removing the bolt, washers and aluminum plate "tool" I installed the skid plate and bolts to secure it with the impact driver again verifying final tightness with a wrench or torque wrench.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I'm going to try installing using my impact driver and see if that helps. That's one thing me and my friend thought might help.

partybarge_pilot

Are you using thick enough material? Rivnuts have specific material thickness requirement for them to clamp properly.

51rcr

try making a serrated flanged nut as a spacer to hold with a wrench and keeps the insert from spinning as you tighten the bolt.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
I'm using .120 wall. Nuts say up to .150 wall.

I saw the serrated nut trick on YouTube

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Those are exactly the rivet nuts I bought. How do you install them with that tool? Do you use a long wrench or a cheater bar? I bought that tool as well.

Did you notice the rivet nut slips in the 17/32 hole easily?

Last edited:

Jack

Just a thought, but check your drill for out of round and your bit for burrs. You can also use pin gauges to check your holes, maybe they are slightly oversized if all of your drilling is not perfect.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
New drill bit but the mag drill I'm using is very old and I know has run out, didn't think of that.