Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
The year is 2007; the SCORE San Felipe 250 had moved to Ensenada, and Riviera Racing driver Rob MacCachren had spent the first half of the race in the Black Diamond and passed it off to Mark Post to finish the race. The police tried to pull over Mark during the race to ask a question on the highway, but Mark wasn’t stopping unless it was for the finish; the race had now turned into an all-out police chase. Mark had done nothing wrong, and he knew if he pulled over he would lose the race so he kept pushing. With the finish line in sight just 300 yards to go, the race would come to an abrupt end; police had guns drawn, and with nowhere to go they arrested Mark. It turns out there was no specific reason to pull over Mark during the race, so he continued on regardless and the whole thing was a big misunderstanding. The Riviera Racing team would go on to win that race and win the Baja 1000 later that year. But that isn’t where this story begins or ends for this truck; it is just one...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
A little correction. The first mid engine TT Robby built was not the current truck he has. He built one previous to this one, which was sold to Marty Coyne. The original mid engine TT wore Toyota, Menards, Turtle Wax and a few other sponsors on it. The current RG truck was never named Unicorn until it was kept under wraps while being converted to a 4wd truck. That’s when the Unicorn name came about.

First mid engine TT that was sold to Coynes.
56EAE251-C24D-466F-B096-F10BC6950851.jpeg

6C120366-DEB7-43A1-B3F5-B17E2D3ADD04.jpeg

Jammminjay

RDC Crypto
A little correction. The first mid engine TT Robby built was not the current truck he has. He built one previous to this one, which was sold to Marty Coyne. The original mid engine TT wore Toyota, Menards, Turtle Wax and a few other sponsors on it. The current RG truck was never named Unicorn until it was kept under wraps while being converted to a 4wd truck. That’s when the Unicorn name came about.

First mid engine TT that was sold to Coynes.
View attachment 236327

View attachment 236328

You are totally right I got this part wrong and messed up. Thanks for the correction. :) I fixed it.

BajaFand

RDC Crypto
Correct on that. I believe Jesse Jones was the last guy to own it before Robby bought it back to convert into a prerunner. It was for sale a couple of months ago, not sure if it sold or not.

NIKAL

RDC Crypto
The Chet Huffman TT was built side by side with the current RG TT. It was built as a way to help finance RG’s TT. Cheaper to build two of them. Then Chet sold it to McMillin who made some big changes to it. Then Jones’s bought it who then sold it to RG who then converted it into his 4 door mid engine prerun truck.

Last edited:

mig29

RDC Crypto
JWK Motorsports:

What about the Chet Huffman TT?

The Chet Huffman TT was built side by side with the current RG TT. It was built as a way to help finance RG’s TT. Cheaper to build two of them. Then Chet sold it to McMillin who made some big changes to it. Then Jones’s bought it who then sold it to RG who then converted it into his 4 door mid engine prerun truck.

I was at CORR '07 Primm, the Geiser's brought the Chet Huffman TT (built by Geiser). Did Huffman have another TT (Geiser built?). I remember Jesse Jones (racing Pro2) in the Geiser booth (they were supporting client racers), I showed him the wreck by John Marking during Pro4 Q'fying:

See pic, Chet Huffman TT at SCORE '06 Terribles Cup, Trophy Truck Friday Heat #2. Jump at Start/Finish

You can barely make out the bottom A-arm ("fattish"), looks like the one on Mark Post's TT #3

Attachments

• huffmantt.jpg
    huffmantt.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

mig29

RDC Crypto
Rob Mac and this truck together were an amazing combination. This truck is an icon.

I remember the 2007 Primm 300 near Knight Ranch Road, Rob came in on the last lap -- ON FIRE! He was doing his patented:

"I drive slow enough to WIN"

I.e., taking a conservative approach early, getting splits from team, & going for it at last lap

The drivers before RobMac were Jerry Welchel & Curt Leduc. I remember seeing Jerry & TT #3 at Ojos Negros (2003 Baja 1000?), Jerry was driving the Semi taking the broken TT#3 back to Ensenada. He asked me if I got some good pics. Previously, I ran into Mark Post (& his Dad?) at a pit off Hwy 3

Dad: Jerry's stuck (at Mikes')
Mark: That's easy to do
[ while eating a sandwich ]

Jerry had a DUI, so that's when Curt took over, 2005? I remember seeing Curt at end of SCORE '05 Pri 300, he was checking out the printed results:

"I had a bad day!"

RobMac was driving for Vildosola Racing in 2005 (SCORE & BITD), with Nye Frank on the team. Vildosola Racing was tapping into the "braintrust & racecraft:

RobMac (driver) & Nye Frank (builder)

Once RobMac got in as driver (2007?), the TT #3 "came alive" -- Driver is IMPORTANT!

Driving is a mental game, not just physical. See pic, quote by Olympic cyclist Alexei Grewal. Found at a Specialized bike shop in OC (Orange County)

Attachments

• grewalracing.jpg
    grewalracing.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 0

Curtis Guise

Administrator
RDC Crypto
Website
www.offroadaction.com
I was at CORR '07 Primm, the Geiser's brought the Chet Huffman TT (built by Geiser). Did Huffman have another TT (Geiser built?). I remember Jesse Jones (racing Pro2) in the Geiser booth (they were supporting client racers), I showed him the wreck by John Marking during Pro4 Q'fying:

See pic, Chet Huffman TT at SCORE '06 Terribles Cup, Trophy Truck Friday Heat #2. Jump at Start/Finish

You can barely make out the bottom A-arm ("fattish"), looks like the one on Mark Post's TT #3

Chet Huffman bought John Marking's class 1 and put a truck body on it at some point. That might be the one in your photo.

This is from an offroad.com article when he raced the class 1 at the 2007 Terribles Cup.
t_cup_pre_2_07.JPG