RJ Fabrication Trophy Ranger Build

BajaFand

what I was told by a smog tech is the truck has to have a like in kind engine in it. for example ford rangers didn't come from the factory with a v8 so you cant smog it with a v8. the only way to do it is to keep a 4.0 litre around and stab it in at smog time with the stock intake exhaust and cats. that would be a pain. even the 4.0 litre is getting tough to pass smog they just lowered the allowables on it last year. they plan to get them off the road soon.
My Dad is a retired CHP officer and used to do VIN verifications. According to him, you can put any motor you want in anything you want. But whatever engine you use needs to meet the smog requirements for the year/make/model/engine of the original equipment that the vehicle came with. So as long as the V8 you are using produces the same or fewer emissions than the old 4.0 than you should have no problem passing smog. I don't believe the visual inspection includes counting cylinders. You are going to have a bigger problem trying to pass with a fuel cell because you won't be using the factory fill nossel.

My Dad is a retired CHP officer and used to do VIN verifications. According to him, you can put any motor you want in anything you want. But whatever engine you use needs to meet the smog requirements for the year/make/model/engine of the original equipment that the vehicle came with. So as long as the V8 you are using produces the same or fewer emissions than the old 4.0 than you should have no problem passing smog. I don't believe the visual inspection includes counting cylinders. You are going to have a bigger problem trying to pass with a fuel cell because you won't be using the factory fill nossel.
Is there a street legal fuel cell. All you would need is an evap system on the fuel cell I'm sure it could be done.

John Bitting

Administrator
To touch on what BajaFand said, there was a bunch of guys that did 5.0 swaps in their rangers. They had to be a newer motor than the vehicle and have the smog equipment to pass the visual and sniffer. The fuel cell is a different story. I think most did them with stock tanks or bronco 2 tanks.

RJ Fab

what I was told by a smog tech is the truck has to have a like in kind engine in it. for example ford rangers didn't come from the factory with a v8 so you cant smog it with a v8. the only way to do it is to keep a 4.0 litre around and stab it in at smog time with the stock intake exhaust and cats. that would be a pain. even the 4.0 litre is getting tough to pass smog they just lowered the allowables on it last year. they plan to get them off the road soon.
Well I'm happy to inform you that you have been misinformed. The E-rod Package is legal in all 50 states and in ANY vehicle you want to put it in. It has a California air and resource board(C.A.R.B.) approval. I also have a few friends that originally had smaller engines in their vehicles (Toyota p/u and Ford Ranger) that installed a newer throttle body chevy V-8's and have them approved by the smog ref here in California. The rule is that the engine has to be the same year or newer than the vehicle you are installing it in with ALL the emission equipment that the engine came with.
That being said. My ranger doesn't fall into this category and the engine I will be using will not not be smog legal. It will be equipped with a large cam, tons of duration @.050, be void of any smog devices and make a huge carbon foot print! I will also not have a legal fuel tank and a proper vented evaporative system or gas cap! Just doing my part to piss off all the tree hugging Peep's!

RJ Fab

I pushed the front out about 4 inches. I was going to go less but I knew that eventually I would be going to 39's.

Black Jeep

Awesome build!

I have been looking for an internally mounted steering box with a forward swing arm and could not find one. Would you share the application that is from? Thanks!

RJ Fab

Sure Mr. Black Jeep. It's based off a GM Saginaw 700 series box but has reverse steer. Howe Performance built it for me. Their Contact number is 619-561-7764. Hope that helps. I think GM had some factory applications for the reverse steering box, I just don't know what they were.

tim_krueger

Well Rob, about time you had a build thread on RDC, I'm sorry it took me 6 months to find it haha. Terrific work as always, keep the photos coming!

Here's a little throwback photo of me (well my truck) reppin for RJ Fab circa 1996 :) BTW that sticker on the back window says Rancid (punk rock), not Rancho.

92 Toyota Rear.jpg

dezertyota93

It will have s bumper like this that is removable instead of welded on...

Also the back have is going to be 6.5 feet with the bumper on it. Not that short. The bumper will stick past the bedsides about 6 inches

And at full bump the tires have 2 inches of clearance

Last edited: