Road Conditions from San Ignacio to San Juanico

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
I just drove San Juanico to San Ignacio northbound via the 2006 route (beach route via El Datil) yesterday afternoon. Road is in great shape other than washboards on the graded road. Suggest you use this route for access if you don't need to be on the course. The course is definitely rougher and slower. We drove down the course (southbound) a few days ago. It's not difficult, just rougher and slower than the beach route.

PT9Baja

Reaction
Could you do that route towing an empty trailer for support ?? Trying to get from Ignacio to Juanico without going around. Also is San Juanico to La Purisimo going to be a problem for support?

ScottyA

Reaction
if you go before the race you can go through La Purisma pretty easy. just make sure your there before dark thats when the bikes will be there.

bajaford

Reaction
Could you do that route towing an empty trailer for support ?? Trying to get from Ignacio to Juanico without going around. Also is San Juanico to La Purisimo going to be a problem for support?

I believe that beach route and course become same well before san juanico so you will be on course with a trailer. San Juanico to la Purismo is not a problem... road is very wide and well traveled.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
you can do it with a trailer but your trailer won't like it. it's just over 100 miles. The washboard is a suspension killer on trailers and will rattle just about everything loose ( an empty trailer bounces like crazy ). i've seen quite a few trailers from guys who brought them in the north road and the trailers never left san juanico. i've towed about ten different trailers from jetskis to 30 foot travel trailers and I always go around. without a trailer we go the salt flats. too many "what ifs" out there with a trailer. "sure things" are good in baja. and its a "sure thing" to go around with a trailer. towing on the north road is a "what if". it only adds about 2 hours ( without a trailer ) and the new way through las barrancas is only 10 miles or so of dirt. the last 20 miles or so of the salt flat route is on the race course and depending on your clearance there are a couple spots that you might not make.

I know that road very well so if you have any other questions let me know. What kind of trailer and how big? and what is the clearance on your truck? there are a couple spots that wouldn't like a low clearance hitch with a long trailer.

bajaford

Reaction
Yea but your on the course. Are you sayin your ok with that? Some guy on the course with a trailer..... tell this guy to make other plans!

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
i'll make it simpler. the salt flats have many different lines that all end up in the same place. a couple of those lines go through a whooped out deep sand section that is a mile long or so. get on that with a trailer and you'll be there a while.

PT9Baja

Reaction
You can tell me , thats why I am asking. I was thinking going around was the best idea but do not know the north road so had to ask. I know the south route. Thanks for your help
Yea but your on the course. Are you sayin your ok with that? Some guy on the course with a trailer..... tell this guy to make other plans!

PT9Baja

Reaction
I believe that beach route and course become same well before san juanico so you will be on course with a trailer. San Juanico to la Purismo is not a problem , road is very wide and well traveled.
So from the south you can drive in to San Juanico and back out during the race? I going to help a class 11 in sportsman , so we will be late.

PT9Baja

Reaction
you can do it with a trailer but your trailer won't like it. it's just over 100 miles. The washboard is a suspension killer on trailers and will rattle just about everything loose ( an empty trailer bounces like crazy ). i've seen quite a few trailers from guys who brought them in the north road and the trailers never left san juanico. i've towed about ten different trailers from jetskis to 30 foot travel trailers and I always go around. without a trailer we go the salt flats. too many "what ifs" out there with a trailer. "sure things" are good in baja. and its a "sure thing" to go around with a trailer. towing on the north road is a "what if". it only adds about 2 hours ( without a trailer ) and the new way through las barrancas is only 10 miles or so of dirt. the last 20 miles or so of the salt flat route is on the race course and depending on your clearance there are a couple spots that you might not make.

I know that road very well so if you have any other questions let me know. What kind of trailer and how big? and what is the clearance on your truck? there are a couple spots that wouldn't like a low clearance hitch with a long trailer.

Thanks, I don't know the north road so I had to ask. My son and I are doing support south of Ck 7 for a class 11 in sportsman just for fun. We will be late but do not want to cause any problems on course. We are in a F250 with a 16' flatbed I use for my bug. P.S. When and how can I buy your movie?

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
Thanks, I don't know the north road so I had to ask. My son and I are doing support south of Ck 7 for a class 11 in sportsman just for fun. We will be late but do not want to cause any problems on course. We are in a F250 with a 16' flatbed I use for my bug. P.S. When and how can I buy your movie?

How would you like to be in the movie? Seriously. Going to Baja for fun is what it's all about. I'm class blind. Trophy Truck, Limited Buggy, Class 11 sportsman. It's all the same if you're having fun. Class 11 might even be better cuz you get to see more of BCS in the daylight.

I'm leaving next saturday from central oregon. Will be in BCS by tuesday night. We have a pad in san juanico if you need to place to hang out and take a breather.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Some people don't get that. There was comment in another post that nails it. Basically drive your truck like you need it to get you home. Cuz you do. Going around doesn't take that much more time. Sometimes down there taking 2 more hours to do something will save you 3 days in the long run. and you are not much support fixing your trailer bearings out on the salt flats.

PT9Baja

Reaction
How would you like to be in the movie? Seriously. Going to Baja for fun is what it's all about. I'm class blind. Trophy Truck, Limited Buggy, Class 11 sportsman. It's all the same if you're having fun. Class 11 might even be better cuz you get to see more of BCS in the daylight.

I'm leaving next saturday from central oregon. Will be in BCS by tuesday night. We have a pad in san juanico if you need to place to hang out and take a breather.

Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD. Some people don't get that. There was comment in another post that nails it. Basically drive your truck like you need it to get you home. Cuz you do. Going around doesn't take that much more time. Sometimes down there taking 2 more hours to do something will save you 3 days in the long run. and you are not much support fixing your trailer bearings out on the salt flats.
I talked to the head of th team and he thinks your offer real sounds great. I am just a support grunt and am going to cover the Loreto side and then south to ck 8 and off to points south.. We are trying to work out logistics and he has some support driving around and up to San Jaunico who are interested in your offer. Alaska should chime in here soon. Thanks alot for your responce . We are headed for San Jaunico after the race so maybe get to say hello then.

Chris_Wilson

Reaction
You can get in and out of San Juanico from the south during the race without going on the racecourse. (Not counting the pavement which should be safe to use during the race). This is not suitable for trailers. The access would be to use the jeep trail off the south end of the pavement that connects to the pavement south of La Purisima so you never need to get on the "hot" racecourse. North from San Junaico there is no access other than the hot track. Can't do that. But it's fine during prerunning as the locals frequent that road anyway.

alaskamountainmanx

Reaction
Don is being to modest.....He has turned into a great asset for us as we suffered a loss of three of our chase team this year. We really appreciate your offer and would be happy to have you include us in your filming. We are still working out the details on chase strategies. We have only one chase team on the west Coast side ( 2 now with Don volunteering), so we are still calculating where and when we will switch out co-drivers and to be honest we are still not sure we will be able to beat the car from San Ignacio and make it to San Juanico. If you are still interested in including us feel free to pm me and I can get you my number. I am sure no matter what happens we will enjoy our Baja challenge and will do our best to take a pit stop at San Juanico and say HI!

Michael

ILoveAsianDirtyBirds

Reaction
Great feedback. I'll probably decide on our route in a couple weeks as I also want to see if we get any weather through there that can change conditions pretty quickly. No trailers for us this year, just our trucks and bikes. I've never been to San Juanico, definitely looking forward to seeing that area of the peninsula, I hear great things.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
Anybody who makes it to San Juanico and needs anything feel free to contact me. I promise not to stick a camera in your face unless you want me to. I love San Juanico and my friends who live there and am willing to help anyone have an enjoyable experience.