Rob MacCachren’s 1 1600 Alumicraft Revived – Shake ‘n Bake Racing

Reece Pettersen

RDC Crypto
After winning the 2020 MORE ½ 1600 championship in Rob MacCachren’s old single-seat Alumicraft, my father and I decided to take a step back from the normal prep to repair a few things on the chassis. What started as a replacement of the front beam and fixing a crack or two quickly snowballed into a complete revitalization with modern technology.

In December of 2020 Jared and Eric of Hardin Racing let me drop off the car at their shop to have Daniel Deen replace the beam. Daniel, a competitor and friend of mine, worked at Alumicraft for a number of years and was perfect for the assignment. Daniel cut off the front beam and rear cage of the car. The direction was to make improvements but keep the Alumicraft look; he did exactly that. The chassis came back from Hardin’s shop looking top-notch!

Once the chassis was revamped, we sent it out to media blast and coated it with Steel-It silver. This is where the fun part started, my dad and I spent weekends in the garage assembling new parts and brainstorming ideas to make it perfect. Fortunately, Daniel’s brother, Eric Deen, was a wiring artiste and volunteered to help bring in modern technology.

One of the major features of this rebuild was how the technology was presented and functioned in the car. Gabe Agana of Agana Metal Products (also ex. Alumicraft employee) set out to build the sexiest single-seat 1600 dash.

While the car was being assembled and tin work was being completed, Andy DeVercelly at Major Performance was assembling a new engine with some top-secret mojo. In addition to building a strong engine, Andy took it a step further and dressed the engine in blue anodize and powder coat to match the side panels.

The final product is a top-notch 1600 car. We are now able to monitor fuel level, AFR, tire pressure, oil pressure, oil temp and more.

Special thank you to Eric Deen, Daniel Deen, Gabe Agana, the Hardin Family, Jamie Campbell, Andy DeVercelly, Simon Perez and most importantly my father.

Chassis Builder: Alumicraft / Daniel Deen

Engine Builder: Major Performance

Trans Builder: Foltz

Aluminum: Agana Metal Products & CRB

Shocks: Fox / Shock Pros

Electronics: Lowrance / AEM / MSD

Wiring: Eric Deen

Steering: Howe

Misc. Parts: Kartek

Graphics: SignArt

Communication: PCI

IMG_2496.JPG
IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2422.JPG
IMG_2400.JPG
IMG_2414.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2462.JPG
IMG_2474.JPG
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
that thing is so nice. Not thats a 1600 I could get excited about. Nice work.

I love the pic with the wheels off on one side with the Pro Eagle jack. Even put the jack handle out the other side. Nice work.

Mike

jon coleman

RDC Crypto
I think this is the car he took to SCORE Laughlin back in the day, 03 or 04, and spanked the entire 1600 field then put a class 12 motor in the same car and beat them too lol
is it this car?, 09 1600 champ& overall score champ. was a good year👍

Attachments

• RobMacCachren-1600-300x165.jpg
    RobMacCachren-1600-300x165.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 0