Robby Gordon and team SPEED Energy - Dakar 2015

Short Bus

Reaction
I agree that there will be a lot of interest in the Robby Gordon discussion so it should be separated out from the general Dakar 2015 thread. However, I would guess Robby and TEAM SPEED Energy would rather not be reminded of Dakar 2014. I moved Mr. Gordon's quotes from the 2014 thread to this thread for a fresh start for their 2015 effort.

I feel this is a better thread to be posting under instead of Dakar15 or Lion Roars, actually the Lion will not Roar in 2015, it's decades behind in Off Road technology and I don't think they will be able to build new ones before the Dakar. Maybe too many engineers :)

Now there 2 of these, Gordini Race vehicles that will be ready for Dakar. And we need to get the country behind this event, this event has 1 Billion Viewers, shown in 190 Countries for 3 weeks and we have a legitimate shot at being the first American Vehicle to win the Dakar with a American Team... Let's do this guys.

We also have been shooting the Road to Dakar TV Show all year and it will be (2)1 hour episodes on NBC Sports in December. Maybe we can post a teaser this week :)
View attachment 145386

If I Have my Choice I know 3 guys who could do this and win

1 older guy with 2 Dakar Podiums, 2 Younger Guy aka Prodigy probably very very brave and stupid fast but might not finish?
And ???? Stay Tuned the next few weeks will be interesting

This is no Water Boy and the cars are exactly the same. Water carrier will be determined as the race plays out, and it really doesn't matter to me all I care about is one of our cars winning the Rally.

ltr450rider

Reaction
Last year was a brand new vehicle, with very little testing and essentially unproven but built with knowledge. It was obviously a less than desired outcome, but you cant say it wasn't expected.

This year, there is lot's of test time, adjustments made, and weak spots found. I believe there is good chance to be big contender for 2015 Dakar.

Go Robby, Do it for the USA!

NIKAL

Reaction
When the Hummers were sold, so were two of the Freightliner service/support trucks. This left RGM with only one Freightliner support truck. Last year RGM did add a 5th wheel for the crew to live out of, but will a second service/support truck be added to the fleet to support the second Gordini? Or will they operate both trucks out of the one service truck? Also will the plan be to lease space in one of the T4 trucks that will be entered in the race?

Will_Higman

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
Website
www.willhigman.com
Last edited:

blue dog

Reaction
Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
Does the driver of Gordini number 2 need to be an American ?
If the opportunity to have Sainz drive G2, would you entertain that thought ? No way you would let a frenchman drive G2.

R Gordon

Reaction
I would be honored to have Sainz in the second car and we did talk about this prior to last year. The second car can even have a different Energy brand on it I really don't care. But it must Run on Toyos

French Guy? Why not? anyone with a shot at winning or willing to be a team player.

blue dog

Reaction
Las Vegas Nevada. Way up near the red rocks
RG, I would like to know if racing in a closed cab like the Gordini makes a big difference compared to open cab such as your, or all trophy trucks ? Less fatigue, stress on the body etc etc. If so, is the only reason we have not seen a closed cab trophy truck due to aerodynamics ?

Chris Tobin

Reaction
I would be honored to have Sainz in the second car and we did talk about this prior to last year. The second car can even have a different Energy brand on it I really don't care. But it must Run on Toyos

French Guy? Why not? anyone with a shot at winning or willing to be a team player.

Very cool Robby, that you are willing to allow other sponsors even ones competing against your own SPEED brand to be on the second car! It shows your confidence in BOTH products!!!

Chris Tobin

Reaction
Problem ain't with Robby , the problem is " the big green m " or " RB " wouldn't let any of their drivers do it .
Why not if the big green M is on the G2 or the RB why not do it???

BajaboundMoto

Reaction
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
If the 2nd car was driven by someone, say BJ, then I'd guess the paint scheme would show Traxxas or whatever as the main image, but the drivers helmet likely the drivers deal.
I'd doubt the main logo would be other than any of RGs sponsors unless the $ was $$$$, like Qatar cash

Short Bus

Reaction
I noticed in the podium photo at Morocco, Nasser is holding up a can of Redbull. Monster is X-raids primary sponsor, but they don't necessarily sponsor each individual car. I believe Nasser has retained his "personal" Redbull sponship, but that doesn't seem to include vehicle sponsorship.

I haven't seen Rockstar involved in Dakar (are they in the European/South American markets?). I'd love to see Rob MacCachren give Dakar a try.

spalind

Reaction
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
Too bad you can't get Travis to get some more experience. He's done some WRC, been dominant in North American rally, has desert experience, etc. If you look at recent winners most (all?) have significant rally experience (free to debate whether this is just a result of motorsport opportunities/popularity in their home regions). I think he has too many things going on and would have had to be planning this for a long time.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

Choptechfab

Reaction
I would like to see Menzies is the 2nd truck. I think he has what it takes to be fast and keep the car together. Travis would bring HUGE exposure to the campaign though.

spalind

Reaction
Website
www.nismostuff.blogspot.com
Menzies would be good...lots of support vehicles they might be able to provide...unfortunately its pretty late in the game to be doing this.

As a point of reference Campbell, the Aldo team, the South Africans and others are already packing their vehicles into cargo containers this week. Not to say that everyone is at that point--Minis, Overdrive, etc have been out racing as recently as this week--but it gives you an idea where many teams are and they arent still wondering what the makeup/drivers of their team will be.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today