Robby Gordon Indy Rumor

RGFan

Reaction
I heard back before the Rally that it was being talked about , nothing was firm though.........But then again, it is talked about every year. I think the next few races in Cup will tell alot. As far as finding equipment.........RG has enough contacts in the IRL garage to where he could lease a top notch car for the race if he wished........AGR, Penske, Foyt....RG has not burned those bridges. What I do find interesting is RG and RC doing the deal. Makes me think a deal could be done with Penske with the whole Beam thing and all......RC and RG did it in 2001 and 2002 if I remember correctly, with RC taking on a much larger role in 2002.

It would be cool, but I would not hold my breath

Last edited:

Ryan_P

Reaction
Considering Helio may be spending some time behind bars, RG in a Penske car doesn't seem out of the question.

carczar_84

Reaction
Would love to see this, as long as he doesn't bring any of his nascar bad luck with him.

ttucker77

Reaction
I'm curious that if Robby does run the 500, who will he get in the 7 for the 600? To atleast start the race anyways, because there's no way he can finish the 500 and get back in time for the start in Charlotte with the way the starting times are set.

RGFan

Reaction
I do think RG and RC teaming up is a good thing.......Remember what culminated in 2001? With evidence showing that RG has been trying to bail on sole ownership in Nascrap (GEM), It will be interesting to see where they are a year from now. Hopefully, RG finds his way into the RCR fold in some way shape or form. I believe the money excuse is a moot point, RGM and Nascrap have taken it in the pants in the past year with no signs of improvement, RG could run two competetive teams in the IRL and make just as much money, if not more. Maybe RC partners like the Childress Howard team, maybe more, maybe less. But I do not see this as a one and done deal, that is not how those two roll. To this day, RG still praises RC for all he did for RG, RC is a good man to have on your side.

AS THE WHEEL TURNS

RBrown

Reaction
I would like to see RG work on getting a ride with RC for the two CUP road course races......... Put Ickler in the RG car and then RG can be a hired gun for RC. I suppose yota would frown on that.

Tristar Racing

Reaction
I would like to see RG work on getting a ride with RC for the two CUP road course races......... Put Ickler in the RG car and then RG can be a hired gun for RC. I suppose yota would frown on that.
RCRs roadcourse stuff is basically RGM stuff; Robby taught RCR all they know regarding setups and the details a roadcourse car should include.

I say RGM, but Simo was the guy who really came up with the ground-breaking stuff that led to Robby dominating the road courses in the early 2000's...

RGFan

Reaction
RCRs roadcourse stuff is basically RGM stuff; Robby taught RCR all they know regarding setups and the details a roadcourse car should include.

I say RGM, but Simo was the guy who really came up with the ground-breaking stuff that led to Robby dominating the road courses in the early 2000's...
True, but that was many moons ago, the Simo/RG chassis that RG took with him to RCR was built in 2000. The COT is a different beast and while many of the ideas of that car have been included into the COT road course chassis, I have a very strong feeling that RCR and their engineers are light years ahead of RGM as far as improving on that design and those ideas. All of the cars in the field have caught up to RG's car, with ET winning both road course races last year as proof. DO not get me wrong, the kid can drive the shiot out of anything, but for a young 20-something to conquere both road course races with guys that have EXTENSIVE road course skills, while he has virtually none.......They had to have a superior car to compensate for the pure driver skill that was out on the track. Superior driving skills is just not enough anymore. RGM is behind the 8-ball, plain and simple and unfortunately they will not catch up.

RGFan

Reaction
Well, I just talked with the wiff........IF RG races at Indy, I will be there!!!!!! Come on Robby

woundedyak

Mammals fear me
Reaction
Well, I just talked with the wiff........IF RG races at Indy, I will be there!!!!!! Come on Robby
RGFAN, I have plenty of room for you and the fam! Maybe he will run a second car for Petty?

RGFan

Reaction
RGFAN, I have plenty of room for you and the fam! Maybe he will run a second car for Petty?
Thanks for that, I am sure I will turn it into a work trip, but we should meet up at the race if RG is there.......As far as RG racing for the King, while I like and respect the King for what he has done in racing.........I hope not..........Maybe it is John Andretti.........I mean he is a nephew of Mario and cousin of Michael and Michael has never helped the guy with a ride, equipment, nothing. Why? If RG does the 500, I really hope he does it in a competetive ride. If the rumors are true, I like the RC/RG scenario......Childress/Howard is a great team and most of those guys hail from open wheel racing. If not and RG still does it, I hope it is with AGR, Penske, a top tier team. I really want to see RG have one more legit shot at winning this thing. He is really getting up there in age for running open wheel cars.....Physiologically, the body starts to slow response wise in it's early to mid 40's, that is a proven fact and no amount of will, talent or stuborness can overcome it. It would be nice to see RG have a shot like in 99

And Matt, I saw the robots giving you some grief........Hilarious!

Last edited:

Tristar Racing

Reaction
Thanks for that, I am sure I will turn it into a work trip, but we should meet up at the race if RG is there.......As far as RG racing for the King, while I like and respect the King for what he has done in racing.........I hope not..........Maybe it is John Andretti.........I mean he is a nephew of Mario and cousin of Michael and Michael has never helped the guy with a ride, equipment, nothing. Why? If RG does the 500, I really hope he does it in a competetive ride. If the rumors are true, I like the RC/RG scenario......Childress/Howard is a great team and most of those guys hail from open wheel racing. If not and RG still does it, I hope it is with AGR, Penske, a top tier team. I really want to see RG have one more legit shot at winning this thing. He is really getting up there in age for running open wheel cars.....Physiologically, the body starts to slow response wise in it's early to mid 40's, that is a proven fact and no amount of will, talent or stuborness can overcome it. It would be nice to see RG have a shot like in 99

And Matt, I saw the robots giving you some grief........Hilarious!
There are a lot of morons on that site. I'm done posting over there. Its sad, half the people on that site really thought going into this year that RGM had a legit shot at the chase. They have no concept of what it takes to be competitive in Nascar, and are not willing to listen to someone who has been there.

Oh well, at least there are some good people here still. Oh and if Indy does happen, Ill meet you guys down there. Im only about 3 hours away...

Last edited:

michael_loomis

Reaction
Dont you get it? Its your negativity bringing RGM down! gotta think positive for RG to make the chase!! HAHAHAHA

Tristar Racing

Reaction
Dont you get it? Its your negativity bringing RGM down! gotta think positive for RG to make the chase!! HAHAHAHA
Haha, I am just realistic. I dont think RGM will make the chase, nor do I expect them to. I hope for the best, but can handle poor showings. RGM is small, and has to pick their battles. People over there were crying and screaming that Robby did so poorly at Martinsville (clearly they are new fans), bitching the new chassis was slow in practice and qualifying, and in general completely out of touch with reality.

Its frustrating to see someone post a thread about how RGM needs to improve this, that, and the other thing, but no concept how much it costs to do so or how small RGM compared to Hendrick Roush or Gibbs. Its like they think pointing out Robby needs to improve qualifying is some sort of revelation, and just as easy to correct.

The only thing I do over there now is chat with a couple people, and continue to give grief to some guy who reposts Jayski and ESPN articles like they are his own. Today was Gibbs oil somehow producing 10-15 hp (even though its made by an oil company FOR Gibbs), and some magic air gun that has five sockets that can revolutionalize pit stops.

The air gun was "designed by an indy car engineer" and is very fast, teams only need to figure out how to fuel the car faster. The guy doesnt realize Nascar will ban the device instantly, and that its not the first time it has been thought of. Hell it sounds like some guy was in the machine shop messing around with old air tools. Oh yea, that and the fact Nascar mandates the GRAVITY FEED dump cans and fuel recepticals for all teams, meaning they want fueling to last x amount of time and not go any faster for safety reasons.

It would be different if you could reason with these people, but you cant. Some guy just alluded to the fact Gibbs wins alot of races, so the 15hp advantage from oil must be true. The guy who wrote the article also creates fake RGM paint schemes with templates that look like a 5 year old did on Microsoft Paint, and tells people he "sent them into RGM for future sponsorship opportunities."

Yikes...

RGFan

Reaction
LMAO!!!!! I have tried also to talk sense into people, but then I am not positive enough or am to arrogant(how they came up with arrogant is beyond me)......Then I took Matt's name he uses for them (Robots) and accused two of them of being such.... they just about had aneurysms........RGM is what it is.....An underfunded, undermanned, single car effort. Expecting them to make the chase is ridiculous, much less break the top 20. But it is what it is. RG has obviously decided that this is how he wants to roll in Nascrap, and while it is hard to watch many times, you have to appreciate what he has accomplished up to now on less then half the budget of more competetive teams.

Now, while I can appreciate what he has done over there and respect it from an entrepreneurial stand point, it is a horrible waste of driving talent IMHO. "He could have been a contender"............Ah well, I will continue to support RG and his team, even though I will not watch Nascrap races on a regular basis like I once did.

So, with that being said, I really hope he decides to run Indy, I do not see how he loses by running the race. The 7 car will most likely be a back marker at Charlotte, have PJ run the car while RG runs the 500, replace PJ once he arrives. I think he will get alot more coverage for his sponsors by running both races then he would running just the 600. I think running the 500 will be his best shot of winning a race on asphalt this season.

So I will just continue to talk trash with all of you instead.

Chase 2

Reaction
Yeah me too and everyone says I'm a hater. What's up with that?:D

michael_loomis

Reaction
HAHA.. you guys know I'm kidding right? just checking...

RG will always be my hero when it come to cranking a steering wheel. I applaud his heart, for being so into racing, but as far as cup goes.. he just cant do it alone..

I think the above goes for all of us realistic fans.. so I guess Chase has an RG man crush too... I suppose he will respond to this at a later time.. LOL

RGFan

Reaction
Yeah me too and everyone says I'm a hater. What's up with that?:D
Chase, all I ever accused you of was playing with paper T-4's in a sand box and being a stalker, but never, ever a hater. Even stalkers have to have a hobby.........like waiting for the Gordons to get a flat in the middle of nowhere:D;)