Robby Gordon TT AWD conversion

green787

Reaction
I've never really ever done anything in my life.....!!!!!! Robby has, so he'll figure it out.....

Copy of Toyota1000.jpg

green787

Reaction
Moving the engine and transmission back the prescribed 7s legal distance, new driveshafts, new everything, until it balanced out in midair wasn't really that hard.... IIRC the rear Ford 9in is a 5:29 and the front Toyota spool is a 5:27, so in my mind I pictured the front wheels pulling me.... These days they have sensors and all kind of disengaging clutches from the Pro 4 racing.... You just have to get the long travel and Portals all working strong.... I didn't have that problem with the Toyota.... The truck wasn't heavy enough to break the Birfield joints or steering knuckles....

green787

Reaction
I'll leave you guys to your discussion, but with one question..... Who would NOT do their level best to break this part on their way to victory in the Baja 1000...... ???

1560128544963.png

Kind of reminds me of back when I was building a McLaren M6....

Attachments

• mclaren20.jpg
    mclaren20.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 476

Dirty Harry

Reaction
One thing I have noticed, while watching BM coming into infield finish of the Baja 500. It looks like his truck has lots of under steer going through the corners. Maybe its setup or driving style, but the truck seemed to push the front tires through the corners. If you compare to a pro-4, you can see them pull through corners, not that the TT looked like. My belief is that having front wheel delivering power is not an advantage enough in itself. Proper setup with the front wheels pulling is another story.

My assumption is that Bryce's team made that trade off for gains other places in the desert that are more common. The Husemans built Bryce's truck and he has won plenty of short course championships so I think that they probably have more combined short course experience than anyone else in the desert (save perhaps Rob Mac).

Yumaoffroad

Reaction
. reason for awd

51rcr

Reaction
Last year at SEMA he told me he was building a lightweight twin turbo V6 truck with portal hubs, but now as I read what I just wrote I have to wonder if RG was just trolling me...

You know the Australians would buy a few. As mentioned sounds like a rally rig.

51rcr

Reaction
theres been class ones converted to TTs with the off set rear axle. So that works. Adding the 4wd components brings weight back front. The 4400 guys have ran the general idea of the Mason trucks for sometime now. The only up grades would be the equivalent IRS rear. Or the tube works style sun gear rear axle for wear, shock and clearance. Robby sure does good at making people talk. He needs to back off the crazy motor stuff though.

BCarr

Reaction
If TT77 wants to do something around 4WD/AWD, it is totally cool. He may have a better idea, we just don't know (yet).

Maybe a AWD TT rig, the appropriate components anyway, need to go on bit of a selective weight loss and material selection program to make the torque path and subsequent shock loads live long enough for a full length race (e.g. B1K). Dunno, who knows. Maybe this is now a refinement problem?

Total Loss

Reaction
I do also think that adding some front traction will reduce the wear and tear on rear drive components. Weather that be from lower strain on the rear drive, or being able to run at a faster pace with less input, I don't know.

Works on the golf carts...rear cv temps and wear show that when running 2wd.

jon coleman

Reaction
that McLaren pic reminds me, i just heard Yokohama tire bought Hoosier tire company, the new name is Hoosiermomma tyre co.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
You know the Australians would buy a few. As mentioned sounds like a rally rig.

Thats for sure. Due to our backwards rules we are only permitted to 6 litre V8. Which is stupid. If they went to 6.2L (383 cubic inches) it would drastically reduce the cost of an engine. Anyway that's another conversation, we have twin turbo V6 motors making 1000 hp on motec australia dyno. That being said. Toby Price put it on pole on a flat track at finke with a kre V8. (He does know finke like the back of his good hand.). But i can guarantee it cost a fair few tens of thousands of dollars. Especially since he is used to the power you yanks make. Our tracks are relatively smooth so a rally set up would be good. Only true rough tracks are goondiwindi and finke.

Bricoop

Reaction
Regarding the weight balance, I wonder if they will put a fuel cell up front? I believe the Gordini has a forward and a rear fuel cell. Besides capacity, you can pump fuel backwards and forwards depending on the balance you want, depending upon the terrain you are in.

calstyl2

Reaction
Did I hear correctly on B500 Fishgistics show that Bryce has ordered a Mason AWD also? They have quite the order sheet going.

lil manny

Reaction
Did I hear correctly on B500 Fishgistics show that Bryce has ordered a Mason AWD also? They have quite the order sheet going.

Did I also hear BJ has an AWD of his own on the way??