Robby Gordon TT AWD conversion

redline

Reaction
as soon as tt4's start winning consistently.
Wait, I thought they already were the most dominant and tastiest thing since sliced bread?

IMO they will not start winning consistently until there is a lot more of them entered. Basically like when Geiser was the "best and most winning truck" out there. It wasn't the same driver all the time. They just made up over half of the entries! Meanwhile SPD/ID were actually the most winning trucks during that time when you did the math by winning drivers and not just brand of truck.

Trophy Truck class now is 100% who had the most perfect day while going flat out the whole time. Besides Andy because if he is entered, it doesn't matter wether 2wd or 4wd it seems everyone else has to face the facts they are racing for second 99% of the time.

The driver side of me would love to wheel a 4wd, but the mechanic side of me says F-that. Basically like having to prep a TT and a Class 1 at the same time in half as much space.

jon coleman

Reaction
Never - unlimited class. Just has to "look" like a truck.
and i read(awd better with irs?) that the tt entries have a " better class of drivers" hmmmmm, is that in driving skills, social skills, math skills??, what....hear me out, i would say there is a Much larger percentage of drivers who belong/ can win in 1600,5 other classes(example only, please dont hate)than in tt field, like a lott of things in life, got to know your limmitations, i mean if i was that cat who just won500 million, i will NoT buy a, wait, i will not enter my trophy truck in a top tier off road race, i would actually build & race another jpspd,& go fool my self on weekends in my tt out at plaster city

Last edited:

ltr450rider

Reaction
I would bet money on there being a 2WD - 4WD split in classes in the near future, say 5 years or so. Same thing that has now happened with Class 1 and Trophy Trucks in SCORE. Once the 4WD starts to dominate, and it will with time, the 2WD guys will want a class of their own to win.

Christian Sourapas

Reaction
I would bet money on there being a 2WD - 4WD split in classes in the near future, say 5 years or so. Same thing that has now happened with Class 1 and Trophy Trucks in SCORE. Once the 4WD starts to dominate, and it will with time, the 2WD guys will want a class of their own to win.
The entire purpose of Unlimited Trophy Truck is to race for the overall win. For example, if my brother and/or I won in TT but got beat by a buggy for the overall (which seems rare nowadays, but I digress), it would be a huge let down. Same sorta goes with having 2 separate “unlimited” Trophy Truck classes. Now add TT legends (which is an absolute joke to the sport) and we would have 3 unlimited TT classes when there should only be one. Splitting 2WD and 4WD into two classes would just further promote the “everybody gets a trophy” agenda, when all “competitive” Trophy Truck drivers are only racing for the overall win.

jcorsico

Reaction
Now add TT legends (which is an absolute joke to the sport) and we would have 3 unlimited TT classes when there should only be one. Splitting 2WD and 4WD into two classes would just further promote the “everybody gets a trophy” agenda, when all “competitive” Trophy Truck drivers are only racing for the overall win.
If all that matters is the overall win, why do you care how many classes there are?

NIKAL

Reaction
The entire purpose of Unlimited Trophy Truck is to race for the overall win. For example, if my brother and/or I won in TT but got beat by a buggy for the overall (which seems rare nowadays, but I digress), it would be a huge let down. Same sorta goes with having 2 separate “unlimited” Trophy Truck classes. Now add TT legends (which is an absolute joke to the sport) and we would have 3 unlimited TT classes when there should only be one. Splitting 2WD and 4WD into two classes would just further promote the “everybody gets a trophy” agenda, when all “competitive” Trophy Truck drivers are only racing for the overall win.
While I agree Unlimited TT is Unlimited TT and should not be split. It waters down the sport and prestige of Unlimited. But unfortunately I have noticed that allot of these Country Clubbers can be whiners if they don’t get their way, or if the money is not there for their pleasures.

What’s going to happen is you will have these guys with $500-750K trucks that are no longer competitive against the $750-$1 million AWD TT’s, and they are not going to want or can’t afford to start over building a Million dollar TT. So they will go to Score and want a class that they can compete in. If Score does not give it to them, BITD will. It’s all about the entry fee dollar. Score & BITD don’t care if there is 1 Unlimited or 10 Unlimited classes. As long as there are entries being paid, they will make a class for that.

So I too predict that once you see 8-10, AWD TT’s showing up constantly, and winning regularly, that the talk will begin to split the class.

jon coleman

Reaction
only one remedy, go full spec nascar type over regulated one size fits all cookie cutter boring race bucket, or spend that 2 million dollars on the latest bling tt, either way the Real racer dont care' bout nothing but that straped in green flag feeling, Whatever the class is they can ( cant) afford.love crying about a class i know ill never race in let alone Ever ride in...

Robin Hood

Reaction
Ummm...How do you have two unlimited classes if one is limited by 2WD?

michael_loomis

Reaction
They’ve been trying to make 4WD unlimited vehicles reliable for a LONG time. They will continue to do so for a long time. Because of this, I don’t think they will or will there ever be a need to split the class.

BajaFand

Reaction
While I agree Unlimited TT is Unlimited TT and should not be split. It waters down the sport and prestige of Unlimited. But unfortunately I have noticed that allot of these Country Clubbers can be whiners if they don’t get their way, or if the money is not there for their pleasures.

What’s going to happen is you will have these guys with $500-750K trucks that are no longer competitive against the $750-$1 million AWD TT’s, and they are not going to want or can’t afford to start over building a Million dollar TT. So they will go to Score and want a class that they can compete in. If Score does not give it to them, BITD will. It’s all about the entry fee dollar. Score & BITD don’t care if there is 1 Unlimited or 10 Unlimited classes. As long as there are entries being paid, they will make a class for that.

So I too predict that once you see 8-10, AWD TT’s showing up constantly, and winning regularly, that the talk will begin to split the class.
You mean like when all the nerds in class 1 got together and whined until the truggies got banned in their (no longer) UNLIMITED class? That was lame then, I don’t see the same thing happening in TT as everyone understands what TT is all about.

AWD, or not, the bar to be competitive these days has been set to the level of true professional Motorsports, all we’re missing is the factory decals on the bedsides. There will always be good racers in a class like that who just can’t compete against that kind of talent and technology. That’s no reason to form a separate class when there are plenty of classes they can go race and run well in. Sounds like the perfect time to resurrect class 8!

Last edited:

Bricoop

Reaction
There’s the overall winner of the race and the 2wd/4wd winner. Do people think Sponsors want to say “2wdTT winner of the Baja 500” even if its 3rd vehicle on the road? The overall should be the one that “pays” People remember the OA, regardless of class. Marketing is a different animal.