Robby Gordon TT AWD conversion

jon coleman

Reaction
yup, rj 's number one rule to winning carlsbad, question, in off road racing , whose heard this one, ' i was in first place at check point one......

ltr450rider

Reaction
I too agree with too many splits in class's. I laughed at the TT legends class as well and still don't like it.

As much as desert racing is built off of "unlimited" design vehicles and how it has really pushed innovations in motorsports, I also feel that if you want to keep a single "Trophy Truck" class with allowing both 2WD and 4WD trucks, there will need to be some sort of limitation on the 4WD trucks. Whether that be done via engine displacement, or some sort of wheel travel limit, I can't say what would work best. Personally, I think a limited engine will work better for all 4WD trucks as it will reduce the stress on the drivetrain components and reducing the prep cost a bit, but the advantage of 4WD will keep them competitive with the 2WD trucks.

I have already said that 4WD trucks will be the dominate design once they get sorted out, it's only a matter of time. Now that there will be potentially 6-8 4WD trucks possibly running next year, they will be shaping the pointy end of the finishing results, and there will be a split in classes, whether anyone likes it or not.

I know many will not agree with "limiting" an "Unlimited" class vehicle, but that will be the only viable solution to keep competition "fair" between a faster design and slower design vehicle.

To prove my point, look at how Pro4 short course trucks are always faster than Pro2 trucks.

jon coleman

Reaction
'limmitation',that word should not be in any talking points in the top tier of desert racing, if the loose nut behind the wheel is loosing the edge, turn in your wings, drop down a class , play golf, but there always must be an Unlimited class, no matter what the cost.i wanna race f one, they sould accomidate my budget& My skill set,, aaaaaaaa, N O !!

green787

Reaction
There should be 4 classes.... 8 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 4 cylinder, and now maybe electric... People don't care about the length of our limit straps.....

sb4pro

Reaction
How bout something like short course for the pro classes ? Call them desert 2 and desert 4 . Desert 2 would be equal to pro2 and desert 4 would equal pro4 . There’d still be an overall but also a class winner as well .

tapeworm

Reaction
Trophy truck is an unlimited class with an unlimited budget. If you can’t afford to keep up and run up front they already have a class for you. It’s called TT Spec. Go spend your money there and race for a win in a strictly 2wd class.

jon coleman

Reaction
There should be 4 classes.... 8 cylinder, 6 cylinder, 4 cylinder, and now maybe electric... People don't care about the length of our limit straps.....
but, absolutely NO rotarys.ps , what happens( a long shot) if garage guy figures somthing ground breaking out and wins, Bingo!!!, thats what separates off road racing from most other motorsports, its why its the last true form of auto racing

green787

Reaction
but, absolutely NO rotarys.
8cyl or more..... and 4 cyl or less in the case of a Rotary.... They would race against the 4 bangers....
Just like motocross, you have 125, 250, and 500 or open.... People can understand that.... They don't care about how the suspension works.... They figure it needs to work GOOD....

jon coleman

Reaction
but what if a guy runs twin 4 rotors, one for the front& one for the rear , and it only wieghs2900 pounds, runs 40" tires, top speed is 195 mph, ....sorry, i ve ' got all these crazy ideas....

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
but what if a guy runs twin 4 rotors, one for the front& one for the rear , and it only wieghs2900 pounds, runs 40" tires, top speed is 195 mph, ....sorry, i ve ' got all these crazy ideas....
Mazda 787b engine in a TT would sound so cool. Duralast truck who?

ltr450rider

Reaction
I knew my comments would get the desert racing purists fired up! LOL.

I personally love having a truly "unlimited" class in desert racing and it should never go away. It's the only form of racing that will always remove the cheaters (at least with car design and allowances/rules) and allow for the most innovation. We would not be at this level of vehicle design if it weren't for allowing a truly open rule book.

My comments on the 2WD/4WD Trophy Truck class split is purely based on what we have already seen with Class 1 and Trophy Truck in SCORE. It's the competitors who will drive the split. Whether it be from the 4WD guys wanting to start out front for the overall advantage, or the 2WD guys wanting their own class to win a trophy.

isdtbower

Reaction
Wasn't one of the recent Geiser trucks dual V8 or V6, front and back? So V12 or V16? Classless.

Edit. This does not belong here but will not delete it as Jon talking about turning dog bones. It does have big impact while initiating a turn while still braking into it, accel out, and not having to wait for the rear to rotate around in 4wd.

Camber gain helping outside tread width and contact patch in offroad.
camberApdalyLopezgeiser2017Baja1000.jpg
CamberGainCG.jpg

Last edited:

jon coleman

Reaction
who raced the ford currier, aaaa,i mean mazda rotary 7 truck back in the day?, all i remember its a well known driver

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
The easiest way to real them back in would be a tire size rule. 35" for 4X and 37" for 2X. This would do a lot less damage to the courses and would slow them down in the rough sections (slightly). The road up to Mikes would be run much faster though........ So not really sure there's a safety argument there LOL.......

IRS would get 35's still. Let the buggy dorks whine.

J Burleson

Reaction
No promoter is going to create a tire size rule. They, as well as you, know that these trucks are designed from day 1 around a certain tire/wheel package. Every truck out there would need at least a full suspension redesign to go to a 35 or 37, not just for geometry, but ground clearance too. If you wanna run a TT, you better be ready to get REAL kooky in your 2wd or save your lunch money and run 4wd. IMO, Splitting the classes is a dumb idea, on par with the Senior TT tour.

ltr450rider

Reaction
Let's resurrect this thread in a few years when a 4WD and 2WD trophy truck class split is announced.