Robby Gordon TT AWD conversion

michael_loomis

Reaction
Let's resurrect this thread in a few years when a 4WD and 2WD trophy truck class split is announced.
Seems like I heard this same line back in the Herbst/Dondel bass boat days over 10 years ago.. and in the McPherson days 10 years before that.

Bricoop

Reaction
Does anyone else see CF upper arms?
The in-wheel portal is pretty cool.
What do you guys see?

MTPyle

Reaction
the Fish B500 interview was interesting. RG shared a lot about his truck. They saved a lot of weight on the truck so use of Carbon would not surprise me.

One thing that stood out that he said was they worked hard to keep a 90" track width. RG feels thats the best width for technical stuff and Baja type racing.

Our truck is 90" wide and I always thought it was a weakness of ours. It for sure hurts us in the berms and corners but it does seem to help us in tight technical over the wider 6100's. I guess both ways have their pros and cons. We get bumped around in the ruts as we are more narrow than most trucks. When watching the incar from B500 of RG it looks like the same thing happens to him.

It would be interesting to drive a narrow and wide truck in the same course to see the difference.

Mike

johndjmix

Reaction
IRS 4 wheel drive....hummm, does the name Ivan "ironman" stewart ring any bells?

--John

McCredie A

Reaction
Yeah, Robby's is not IRS and Ivan's was never AWD though. But the name rings a bell for sure.
Dondel had a AWD IRS TT back in the day. Nye frank built it. He won Laughlin in it.

MTPyle

Reaction
If solid axles are so bad why are TT faster than Class 1 buggies? Kind of being a smart A$$ Haha but I think there are some benefits to solid axle.

I was just in our shop where the guys are working on a race UTV. I said I would race these if they didn't have a belt and CV's LOL

Mike

Bricoop

Reaction
If solid axles are so bad why are TT faster than Class 1 buggies? Kind of being a smart A$$ Haha but I think there are some benefits to solid axle.

I was just in our shop where the guys are working on a race UTV. I said I would race these if they didn't have a belt and CV's LOL

Mike
They have been built with sequentially, but then you lose the option for the production class.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Dondel had a AWD IRS TT back in the day. Nye frank built it. He won Laughlin in it.
And he put a whoopin' on the TT field that day, I was at the road crossing and the truck was smokin' fast!

43mod

Reaction
There is a 2900 utv w 4 link and toyota axle I think i saw it at the vorra ft sage race last year

johndjmix

Reaction
Got to wonder if we brought back Ivan Stewart’s old truck, with a little bit of updating, if it could be competitive today.

—john

azjeepracer

Reaction
Got to wonder if we brought back Ivan Stewart’s old truck, with a little bit of updating, if it could be competitive today.

—john
I grew up a huge Ivan fan and still am to this day, but I would have to say probably not. lack of wheel travel from the IRS in the rear, and as big as the holes are getting these days, I dont thing the truck would keep up with these big block live axle trucks these days. but still would Love to see

Blood Eagle

Class Act
Reaction
There is a whole thread on the subject and even had some people from the PPI days chime in about it. Like Tommy Morris. The answer is no not in Baja. The holes are too big and the course is too rough for what that truck was designed for. It would do very well on a tight and technical course.

jon coleman

Reaction
There is a whole thread on the subject and even had some people from the PPI days chime in about it. Like Tommy Morris. The answer is no not in Baja. The holes are too big and the course is too rough for what that truck was designed for. It would do very well on a tight and technical course.
like a Henderson 300 race?, that course took All my focus