• Forum membership has its advantages....

Robby Gordon

Waldo

Safehouse
I would like to know why we, as off-road enthusiasts, like/love Robby Gordon. Is it because of his style of driving in the dirt (crazy but complete control which is why I like him), his personality, his looks (Napoleon syndrome), or what...he hasn't won anything in quite a long time...enlighten me!

The times I have met and talked with Robby at races he definitely has the "I'm a race car driver" attitude. However, upon meeting him socially away from the races, he was just one of the guys. Who and why do you like him? Please, lets not make this a bash thread!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

John Bitting

Administrator
For me personally it is his almost out of control style. It is like a Dan Vance in a trophy truck. Always on the edge pushing the envelope. No matter the type of person you think he is you have to have nothing but the utmost respect for his talent alone. I personally think he is a good guy but I have only had e-mail conversations with him..

Curtis Guise

Administrator
Speaking of Robby & Dan, I told Dan this weekend he needs to build a full size with a big motor and then both of them need to have a jump contest in Glamis.

Now that would be cool....

Sorry that was off the subject. For me I think it would be his driving style. I have never met or talked with Robby, but hope to some day.

Curtis

Tony_Barraza

During the '95 SCORE season, I was fortunate enough to work on the Jimmy Smith/Ultra Wheels TT team. This was the year Jimmy and Robby "teamed-up." Both teams operated out of the Ultra Wheels facility in Buena Park. There was always a single, mandatory pit strategy meeting held at the shop for BOTH teams to attend, held a week or two prior to an event.

After the meetings, it was suggested that members of the opposite teams, take time to look over the other teams truck, and talk to the crew chiefs and co-riders about what to do, or where to find something in case of a problem during the race. We would also take this time to practice pit stops. It was in these cases, when Robby was present, he would hang out, watch what was going on, and offer suggestions, as well as encouragement to anyone he came in contact with.

One day during a pit practice, he saw I was having trouble with the floor jack as I approached the truck for a tire change. He came over, and because we had never really talked before, asked my name, shook my hand, and introduced himself to me (as if I didn't know who he was) and proceeded to show me how to make the job easier and more efficient. When we saw each other at the next race, he came over and asked "Remember what we went over?" And after observing a couple of "hot" practice pit stops, he slapped me on the shoulder and just said "Right On! You've got it!" I will always remember that.

In addition to that memory, I fully appreciate the professional appearance he demands of his team members (coordinating uniforms), and his team support vehicles (matching graphics/logos).

There are three words to describe Robby coming through the "Mile of Hell" in Barstow or ANYWHERE in Baja - ON THE GAS!

Rory

Crayola Killer
Robby's driving ability is phenomenal. I've had the honor i've riding with him during testing on 4 different ocassions in 3 different trucks. He is so in control it blows my mind. at 110mph in barstow, Robby is completely comfortable totally sideways in the air. I've known Robby for about 10 years, and he is very approachable, but he is also very focused on race weekends so your not going to get an indepth coversation out of the guy. As Tony said, he is very professional and a fun guy to be around. i'll always support Robby and the Gordons, they are good people. My .02 cents.

Waldo

Safehouse
Rory, you make a good point about a racer being in "race mode" for the weekend. So tell us, how were the co-rides? Some family friends have a place in Parker, AZ in the Keys. Their 12-year old son got to ride with Robby around the parker 400 course in one of his old prerunners. We were all just hangin' out benchracin' and RG asked this kid (who idolizes Robby) if he wants to go for a little ride. Yeah, little ride my a$$. This kid still talks about screaming over whoops at speed and listening to Hootie on the CD player without it skipping. Must have been nice!

BRAAAAAAAAP!

Clifford

My fondness of RG dates back to his beginnings in off-road racing. When I was young my grandparents would always take my sister and I to a quaint café in Cerritos appropriately named Off-Street Café. RG’s grandfather, Bob Gordon Sr., frequented this very same café. My grandfather and Bob Gordon Sr. hauled hay together back in the day. I’m not sure if Bob Gordon, Sr. was hauling for the racetrack then but my grandfather hauled for the family dairy. Each time we went to the café the hay stories were endless. I was hoping that the stories of little Robby were just as drawn out as the tales of hay. Boy, could I never get enough of them. Slowly the stories evolved from riding dirt bikes to his first off-road race with his father, which resulted in a podium finish for little Robby. This spurred the interest that I still have today for RG.

To directly respond to the query as to why I’m a fan of RG would be because of the excitement he brings with him. There’s no driver that can compare to the radical driving style that RG has developed. The video the Curtis shot of RG in the 2001 Baja 500 is a demonstration of this. He never lifted the gas and he was even “playing with the throttle” in mid air.

Junior

It has to be his driving style. When you see him come through a section you think no way, he will never make it at that speed but he does! EJR has a crew member named Jorge that is deaf and mute. Since I don't know sign (and neither does Jorge) communication is sometimes difficult. He had never seen Robby race before. At the Baja 500, we had been watching race cars come through this one section for a couple of hours (waiting for our truck) and it kind of got ho hum. Jorge was standing on a rock near the track watching the trucks and cars when Robby came screaming through. You should have seen the look on Jorge's face when Robby came through! He jumped off the rock and fled for safety like a Frenchman from a fight! He immediately came to me and wanted to know who that was!

Robby brings excitement to motorsports.

Junior
EJR Racing #244

Ryno

Waldo-

As a racer, he's the man. I agree with his driver attitude, and his style with racing. I have heard nothing but good things from people I know who he has worked with.

During thanksgiving in Glamis, last year, his trailer was about 200' up Gecko Road from our camp. Needless to say, at 10pm, I heard the rumble, and was blinded the the light. I thought I was going to heaven. Instead, he proceeded to rip down sand highway, about 100' out from all the trailers. Just about everyone in our camp wanted to pull all of his teeth out with a pair of channelocks. I saw him jump at Comp and Olds, and I've seen him out in the dunes. It's great that he's a good guy for Offroad racing as a sport, but in Glamis, on a huge weekend like that, he's gotta learn to keep his dick in his pants, and relax a little bit. I'm pretty much neutral to him.....I know he can drive great, but few people have been bigger assholes in Glamis.

Ryno

scott

Question? With his NASCAR schedule, is that true he's running the 1000 then flying to Atlanta for the oval race????

John Bitting

Administrator
Got an e-mail from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jayski.com>www.jayski.com</A> and he said all his sources say Robby will just be running the 1000 and not the Cup race in Miami that weekend.. Very interesting. Rory have you talked to him?

Clifford

That is very interesting John. I've read the same rumor on Jayski also. Since he began the fill-in role for Skinner it seemed impossible for him to run the 1000 and the Cup race. Just as Harvick will have Mast qualify for him in the Cup car today, I assumed that Childress would have someone qualify for RG that weekend also. RG would then fly from Baja to the Cup race once his portion of the 1000 is complete. The catch to having someone qualify for you is that the driver of record must fall to the rear of the pack upon the start.

Childress has put mucho time and effort in RG since he has taken over for Skinner. All indications would lead one to believe that RG will be piloting the 31 next year. Bringing in Mast to assist RG on short track set-ups and driving methods, allowing RG to skip the Cup race the weekend of the 1000, and rumor has it that RG has even begun to shoot some commercials and public relations photos for the Cingular team. With that said, why has there not been an announcement for next year's driver? Is Childress held off on any offical announcement due to the RG skeptics and doubters in Cup?

RG is a shoe-in for 2 Cup races each year, Sears Point and Watkins Glen. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be 2 more top 5 finishes than Skinner this year. Also, RG would be a fit for the milk jug that is the drink of choice for the Indy 500 winner. It's only a matter of time before Rg finds his niche in Cup. I think he should be fitted for the 31 ride as he would be able to fill Skinner's shoes and then some.

Jimmy8

I still think that robby gordon would be one hell of a F1 driver with the combination of his open wheel driving skill, and his road course skill. Too bad he isnt German with 100 million in his pocket, because I think he could give the shumacher brothers and juan montoya a run for their money.

scott

I figure he'd run the NASCAR race over the 1000 because of contract.. But if he does run the 1000 and does well, thats really going to be grueling. If he has problems I figure he'd pack it in early and take the next flight out of town.....

Flea

Ryno

Is that not what glamis on thanksgiving is all about? i would pay money to stand 100ft from that beast watching him tear past my campsite at ANY time of the night. personally i like glamis better on off weekends when it is more peaceful but what do you expect on thanksgiving weekend! I think thats awesome and unless he was endangering anyone but himself... a little noise and light never hurt anyone.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! and hopefully my poor truck too.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I would have to say that Robby Gordon is what a lot of people look for out there...power and balls. This Thanksgiving will be my 22nd year going to Glamis and I am only 22. In the last 5 years or so it has gotten a bit out of hand with fighting, but other than that it's always been a fun place all day long and a rowdy place all night long. A place to hang out with the fam. and friends and ride, drink beer, and look at all the overpriced toys, and dipsh!ts out there... I love it. I would have loved to have Robby Gordon buzz by my campground any time, although I don't have kids, if I did I may have got upset, but then again they shouldn't be out at night.

Kris

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Jimmy8

Robby qualified mid 20's for the race tommarrowat martinsville. Its a small track 1/2 mile, similar to a road course I guess than a super speedway is. We'll see how he does.