• Forum membership has its advantages....

robmac

baja619

I find it hilarious that because Lucas Oil got burned by the operators of Crandon and now they dont do business with them, they are deemed the bad guy.

Crandon is gold and can do no wrong. I get it!

acers

What ever went wrong between crandon and lucas oil should have been taken care of by now. Its the racers and fans that lose in all this.If crandon was the ass in all this then they should make it right.Same for lucas

450grl

I spoke with a mod kart crew chief about what they spent to race fall crandon, he said $30,000. Imagine what it costs a Prolite, Pro2 or 4 team to come out. Those teams are spending a ton of $$ and risking a lot more than $50K to maybe win $50k. Easy decision to stay home.
We raced it last year, in the Pro Stock UTV class, and it probably cost all of $2000 to go race from AZ. Plus I got some purse money that covered a lot of that.....That being said, the truck teams are a totally different story. Housing/feeding/transporting crew can be pricey, and I used to budget around $20k for a race weekend in the Pro 4 (not including any major catastrophies), so I can see how the cost to go across the country can add up to the point where it's not worth it. BUT - there are ways to minimize by teaming up with another team, shoe-string budgeting where you can, etc.....

There needs to be a reason for the extra weekend/cost for the truck teams, other than it's on their bucket list. Major TV time would be about the only one of those.......if an extra race weekend is included in the budget at the beginning of the season (which it very well may be this year for some), then I can see a better showing for 2017 for Labor Day weekend.

sb4pro

We raced it last year, in the Pro Stock UTV class, and it probably cost all of $2000 to go race from AZ. Plus I got some purse money that covered a lot of that.....That being said, the truck teams are a totally different story. Housing/feeding/transporting crew can be pricey, and I used to budget around $20k for a race weekend in the Pro 4 (not including any major catastrophies), so I can see how the cost to go across the country can add up to the point where it's not worth it. BUT - there are ways to minimize by teaming up with another team, shoe-string budgeting where you can, etc.....

There needs to be a reason for the extra weekend/cost for the truck teams, other than it's on their bucket list. Major TV time would be about the only one of those.......if an extra race weekend is included in the budget at the beginning of the season (which it very well may be this year for some), then I can see a better showing for 2017 for Labor Day weekend.
Thanks Corry . It's always good to see you at Crandon . My friends were very impressed with you and the team this year .

acers

Hope your back this year to give CJ a 2nd place this time.Thanks for the info.

450grl

Hey, thanks so much @sb4pro and @acers !! We should be back - hopefully if everyone can actually hold a straight line on the land rush start we will have a better weekend - lol! Marty Fiolka is doing a great job out there for Crandon, and it's going to be cool to see the upgrades made this year for the facility as well as see how the UTV classes have grown out there! :)

vegasloki

Diesel for round trip in a rig that big Vegas to Crandon is $700-800 plus driver and whatever permits you might need. It's a straight two days double drivers. It's about $500 each for airfare, that's $3k for 6 people. Ground transport, food, hotels, another $1500 or so. You haven't paid anyone yet, or prep or tires or bodywork.

illmattic86

Speaking with a few teams last year and some people tied to the sport , Carl could not make it due to Lucas Oil. It is what it is, but that's business. Rob Mac, on the other hand, I think it came down to schedule and budget (guy races desert and short course). Another reason for some racers not making it out is that the purse info wasn't released until a few weeks prior to the race. That type of information should be know months in advance for racers to plan accordingly. Either way, I was impressed with the turn out in 2016. BUT with a LOORS race the weekend before Crandon this year, I doubt you will see any west coast teams in 2017.

CYS Motorsports

BUT with a LOORS race the weekend before Crandon this year, I doubt you will see any west coast teams in 2017.
The schedule has been like this for the past 3-4 years. If anything keeps them away it will be the rule change divide between series. Only TORC legal trucks would be the Pro 4 class.

acers

The schedule has been like this for the past 3-4 years. If anything keeps them away it will be the rule change divide between series. Only TORC legal trucks would be the Pro 4 class.
You mean pro 2 and will be intresting on what they do

illmattic86

"The schedule has been like this for the past 3-4 years. If anything keeps them away it will be the rule change divide between series. Only TORC legal trucks would be the Pro 4 class."

Last year the LOORS race was two weeks before Crandon, so teams had plenty of time to prep and travel. Same with years prior. THIS YEAR, the west coast teams will literally have to pack up from their race in NV and drive straight to Wisconsin. I do agree about Pro-4, but I really only see two Pro4 teams coming to WI from LOORS and that's Leduc and Fortin.

acers

"The schedule has been like this for the past 3-4 years. If anything keeps them away it will be the rule change divide between series. Only TORC legal trucks would be the Pro 4 class."

Last year the LOORS race was two weeks before Crandon, so teams had plenty of time to prep and travel. Same with years prior. THIS YEAR, the west coast teams will literally have to pack up from their race in NV and drive straight to Wisconsin. I do agree about Pro-4, but I really only see two Pro4 teams coming to WI from LOORS and that's Leduc and Fortin.
most likely Brice Menzie since he is red bull sponsored

sb4pro

My biggest worry if we DO end up with only one sanctioning body whether it's Lucas or TORC is what happens to the sportsman classes and what tracks will be included in the race schedule. Ideally I'd like to see the schedule include my fav tracks from Lucas which are Glen Helen , Wild West , Estero Beach and Lucas Oil Speedway . Then mix in my fav TORC tracks Crandon , ERX , Red Bud and Bark River . That would give us 8 tracks , go to each track twice for 2 days each and that's a 32 round 16 event schedule . As for travel try to make the schedule as convenient as possible , for instance don't go to Crandon then all the way over to Estero Beach . Try and make it so it's a loop around the country and equal travel for both east and west coasters . As for rules ( as much as I hate to say it ) how bout a NASCAR style rule book where everyone is on ( as NASCAR calls it ) " equal ground " . Pro2 and 4 classes would be your Cup cars with only differences tween them being weight and drivetrain . Pro-lite and pro utv would be your X-finity cars . With the sportsman classes being the NASCAR truck series . I know those rules would be a lil harder fix but nothing that couldn't be worked out . Anyway I'm just kinda throwing stuff out there and see what sticks . I love this sport and I want to see it grow . ;)

mike337

TORC may die, but MORR will survive. There will always be off-road racing in or near Wisconsin. Grass roots, like when it was WSOOR or whatever they called it. The big boys are going to have to head West, because that's where it's at if you want to be the best.