Rocker Setup

jarreptolson

Reaction
I have a 92 ranger 4x4 with autofab front end, and deavers in the rear. My question is to anyone out there that has setup a rocker shock system for the rear so i dont have to cut my bed since i regularly haul stuff. I know that i can buy a smaller(travel) shock and lay it down on an angle without building a rocker system but i dont really think it would be the most effective way to go about it. If anyone has a picture of this setup or a good description of how i might go about building one that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanced

michael

Reaction
This is a scan of an old Johnny Johnson add. It was discussed awhile back by some of the "experts"...I think Donahoe seemed to know something about it....anyone?

Michael <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jmartin.net/goose>jmartin.net/goose</A>

Tyson

Reaction
Thats nuts, I've never actually seen a rocker set up til now. Does it perform all that well though, I would think if it did it would be more popular.

Anyone got any good picks of a cantelever rear end, those things are nuts too.

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

Donahoe

Reaction
I do. Its silly,,, Silly I tell you.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

jeff

Reaction
Hey Kreg - what would it cost to have you re-valve 6 shocks that all seem to travel in different directions and amounts depending on the travel direction and velocity? :)

As one extreme is extending the other extreme is compressing, and the middle just kinda wiggles in the middle of the stroke all the time? That's the kind of "let's see if it works" stuff that propels the sport away from what apparently doesn't work.That setup looks like a freakin' nitemare to dial in.

Aloha

V8Ranger

Reaction
To me it looks like all three shocks are compressing as the rear end travels up. Am I looking at this wrong?

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
V8 your looking at it right but like jeff is saying each shock is at a different point of travel they all dont go in and out equally(a pain to dial in) one 2.5 bypass per side would be way easier, those things are complicated as hell to design, hoops throught the bed are easier and way cheaper, I remeber about 8 years ago team macpherson had thier TT on display at the dealership and it use 4 coilovers on a rocker system laying flat in the bed.

John Bitting

Administrator
Reaction
Prep by Jake in San Clemente did this on a ranger and I think were getting 16-18" travel with a simple under the bed design that also was a lever system and dual shocks. You might want to give them a call..

A man is not finished when he is defeated,
he is finished when he quits.
-- Richard M. Nixon

jarreptolson

Reaction
thanks for the info, does anyone have the number to prep by jake? I was thinking of setting the system up to run two shocks, but for now i can only afford to buy one 2.5 bypass shock per side, can i get away with this until i can afford the second shock per side, and does the second on have to be a bypass or could i just run a remote res shock. Any input from Kreg would be great, since you obviously have had some experience building this setup. Thanks again. Jarrett

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
you shouldnt need and thing more than one bypass perside, if you going to race it you might want to think about running a 3" just for cooling purposes. other than that your wasting money trying to run 2 perside.

gary

Reaction
speaking of silly....has anyone ever seen something like this on a truck? i saw it on a ranger, with no bed, at primm 2 years ago...seems kinda simple, maybe, but you'd still hafta lose the bed, or parts of it....any ideas on it?

sorry for the crappy drawing, it's the best i could do....

Attachments

gary

Reaction
oh yeah, that's supposed to be a shock up top, going from the top of the frame to the top of the extra long, center pivoting shackle...

Mike_HKmtrsprts

Reaction
Well I tried looking at your drawing but all it showed me was a picture of a torn negative, I dont know....

Tyson

Reaction
Hey Gary, I thought that was a pretty good drawing actually. BUt, no - I have no idea if it works ;-)

You may beat me in the flats, but watch out in the whoops! ! !

ntsqd

Reaction
Seems to me that's asking the spring to be extremely rigid in compression if the damping is going to be effective, something it's not likely to be since the spring already has a curve in it and will act as, well, a spring. Would be very much like designing the push-pull rod in the rocker that started this topic to have flex in it.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee

Donahoe

Reaction
Jerret, It is totally possible to do and if figured out right you can get Very good Ratios. But in Reality I think its way more work then what it is worth. The cantilever set up has been around for a long time. And has been a proven performer. (Ivan, Baldwin, Nelson and Nelson.) But In my expert opinon...... ITS GAY. Hope that helped. I have always been a kinda one to one Ratio shock guy myself. And I truly belive that the more moving parts you have in an off-road car the more trouble you get. PeaCE out.

NEVER LIFT!!!!!

toyoter91

Reaction
well said kinda like the KISS theory right?

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

gary

Reaction
torn negative? c'mon, it wasn't that bad....just wondering about that set up, ever since i saw that truck, and never thought to post it 'til now, for some reason....oh well...does wondering about it make me gay?

jajaja

BradM

Reaction
Kreg - I think your viewpoint on simplicity is a two edged sword. Sure there are cars that have been so over designed that they are a mechanical nightmare but yet they still work very well. The Baldwin trucks would be an example. But to say that more moving parts just create more problems seems narrow minded and that line of reasoning will not lead to innovation. Every concept is worth consideration but you must examine all of the pros & cons. Creative minds produce innovative ideas that can propel any sport to the next level. It is possible to have a simple concept that is unique and effective. No offense dude but try opening up the box and climbing out.

"The only source of knowledge is experience." - Albert Einstein