• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rock'n Raceco Redux

Rory

Crayola Killer
Just read that this was raced in 1988. Nice car. Big tires and interesting shocks. Anybody know what engine was in this beauty? View attachment 192734
Selsted chassis, Flat six Porsche. Car was built by Jim Selsted. I think he may have worked at Chaparral at one point when the Larry Ragland Woodstuff buggy was built. It has a lot of similarities of the Chaparral chassis.

NIKAL

Just read that this was raced in 1988. Nice car. Big tires and interesting shocks. Anybody know what engine was in this beauty? View attachment 192734
If this is the car that I remember, the big heavy tires on the front did not work out as the spindles technology was “Combo’s” and the link pins were not the big style we use today.

Back then I was helping Marty Hart with the 5 car and stadium stuff. The 5 car has the laid foreword beam with the shocks mounted off the upper arm. We had the same issues with breaking arms, spindles and links. Marty tested a bigger Armstrong tire on the front and there was no way he would ever finish a race if we tried to race the bigger tire. I think the year he won the Championship in the 5 car we started with new arms each race.

I think Bob Ritchy might have also tried a bigger front tire on his class 2 Raceco in the early 90’s? Anyone else remember that?

hendersoned

Selsted chassis, Flat six Porsche. Car was built by Jim Selsted. I think he may have worked at Chaparral at one point when the Larry Ragland Woodstuff buggy was built. It has a lot of similarities of the Chaparral chassis.
I heard it was a early albins 5 speed with no lift shift and a pre-production ecotech 2.7 liter, made 300 hp at the rear wheels.