• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rock'n Raceco Redux

Nah, I think I meant a straight eight Buick. ;) Traction and torque, baby!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
What are your thoughts on putting the straight eight out of a Hudson Hornet Hollywood? ;)

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
IMG_0147.JPG

Combos are in good shape, but unfortunately they will not live with the 35's that the rules allow. More stuff to sell (referring to the spindles). Hoping all of my upgrades equate to reliability. At least that is the goal, plus performance. :) Merry Christmas vintage buggy dorks. -MP

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
I am trying to 'stop the madness' and need some opinions.

I am going to run 35 BFG's and plan to upgrade to 934's and a real transaxle. That part is done. I am also seriously considering/planning on upgrading to King Kong spindles and 1 3/4" arms and maybe a beam + through rod upgrade so the front end lives with the 35's.

My question is whether I can run the original Wright rack with Char-Lynn PS assuming that we can rebuild them to bueno. I have looked at the Saco Magnum, but peep are telling me that Saco might be going away...and thus no parts. Yes/no? The Howe Diablo look great as does the Fortin, but stupid spendy. Any advice would be appreciated with the caveat that this is a NORRA car not a trophy truck. Thanks...-MP

Also anybody have any pics of this car. I am finding orange paint and the frame is blue....

Attachments

Last edited:

bhernquist

Don't risk your safety on a lesser quality steering rack or power steering system especially since your running 35s in an open car. Invest in Either a Fortin or Howe rack with a built in servo and ram. Either will be safe and simplify the install.

I've run all of the systems you have mentioned and have ended up with the HOWE and Fortin set ups. The Charlynn does not protect the rack and pinion from impacts like a hydraulic ram does (especially with 35s) and is sketchy to drive. The Wright rack is very old and no parts are available. The Saco may work but the welds associated with the tie-rod mount are very susceptible to failure. A steering failure is very scary and not a place to skimp.

Last edited:

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
New wheels for the old Raceco from long time sponsor Walker Evans Racing. Not black, not polished...just 'as cast' with black rings. Ohhhhh....yeah!
Wheels1.jpg

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
New beam to replace the cracked dented 30 year old one and to accomodate 5/8" through bolts.

IMG_2460.JPG

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Huh?...^^^ The beam was cracked and severely dented. It is like cancer....cut out the bad stuff.
IMG_0184.JPG

Anyway, Beard absolutely killed it rebuilding the 30 year old seats. Price was very reasonable. Thanks Brad!

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
The old girl is up on the table undergoing the knife. Working on fitting the HV25 transaxle to eliminate (or reduce) the wicked compound CV angle it used to have with the 22R and bus box. CBR radiator showed as well as the Walker Evans Racing mock up shocks. Sparks are flying!

PS...the LeDuc swap meet was a huge success. Sold 99% of my old, unwanted stuff. I highly recommend this event for peeps wanting to clean out their shop and turn it into $$$. It was a feeding frenzy at 7 am with people literally bidding on my old buggy crap.

IMG_2506.JPG

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Jamie Campbell's new Raceco-USA is fitting the HV25 into the old Raceco. Weird/cool coincidence?

IMG_2536.JPG