• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rock'n Raceco Redux

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Going for torsion to C.O. thus JC making new rear arm pivots. Thinking of going double shear on the front through rods as well.

IMG_2549.JPG

Last edited:

Rory

Crayola Killer
What class are you planning on running in? Challenger Era?

LantanaTX

Yes Challenger. The car was originally built in 1985
Looks like it will be a challenger. Is the trans axle sequential? Those are not legal. Will it at least use an engine that existing in the Challenger era? Year off manufacture doesn't totally determine the class since many have been updated. Example: The McMillin Macado car started out as a Legend era but was updated over the years and cannot race in Legend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
No the transaxle is an 'H' pattern 5 speed. Engine will be a 2.5L water pumper per the rules, and shocks non-bypass 2.5 inchers. I am just following the rules as they are printed by NORRA.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2566.JPG
51096402354__18CC4D53-3B94-44E3-BCB3-72C9DC52B0EE.JPG
17190427_1289479067803785_5213043425962490305_n.jpg

Mounting new tires to the super sexy Walker Evans Racing wheels. Raceco doing the torsion housing conversion to coilover. Outer pivot boxed dialed in including lock plate. New beam is being mounted and the new CBR radiator showed up. Progress, but we have a long way to go.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
?
Gill, what part of my build do you have a problem with? I am removing the cancer and trying to have a car that will be reliable to get to Cabo...all within the rules. I am sort of using Bob Gordon's Chaparral and Rory's Dirt Trix as my guide.

Bob, I didn't plan on racing the Mil, but you never know. Not a huge fan of the new SCORE under Roger.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

35" BFGs, Weddle trans, Is that an ecotech? 1 3/4" arms up front, is it gonna be bigger than 2" shocks front or rear? Coilover rears, etc... Kind of lost the flavor of what the Racecos were like back then, but it looks like a 12/10 car from now.

LantanaTX

35" BFGs, Weddle trans, Is that an ecotech? 1 3/4" arms up front, is it gonna be bigger than 2" shocks front or rear? Coilover rears, etc... Kind of lost the flavor of what the Racecos were like back then, but it looks like a 12/10 car from now.
I believe he is building it to NORRA Challenger Buggy class 1982 - 1989.

LantanaTX

Almost everything that wasn't actually in that era...
You can't blame Matt for building to the rule book. This is one reason I like the NORRA Legend era which while not perfect is more restricted to era correct.

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
You can't blame Matt for building to the rule book. This is one reason I like the NORRA Legend era which while not perfect is more restricted to era correct.

Yes, I build to the rule book. This is what racers do. Reliability and safety are paramount in the decisions that I made. Didn't Bob Gordon have a late model Toyota V6 in the back of his Chaparral?

jsallenbach

The way I look at it, they had 35 inch mickeys back then when this car was built. It's a non sequential trans, just how a hewland was. Danny letners car and other cars built around the same time. Bout 1985, had big 4 inch over arms. They didn't have ecotechs, but they had water pumper toyotas and rabbits back then for class 10. Class 2 and 1 had six cylinder toyotas and porsches. If he's building it to the rules in the rule book. Let him put what ever he wants in there. All coilover cars came out in about 1988/89 like a couple old racecos did.

Sent from the RDC Mobile App. Get it for your IOS device today

ACME

Great build regardless! And I get both sides of the conversation, but who cares...

Yes, they had C/O cars but 2.5 or 3" coils or IBP's were rare if any in the buggy class in that era; same with the large diameter FT arms.

To me building a resto-retro vintage racer with modern amenities is like a new Mustang utilizing retro look components like tail lights; it lends the flavor but it's not really OG. But then it's not supposed to be.

The problem is "purists" will always dislike any changes from "era correct"

Bro_Gill

Or how about purists think that the car, as built and as received, was GREAT for a vintage racer. Every part on that car was still available NEW to be raced as it was built back then. It's kind of like taking a 1977 funco SS2, lengthening it 15", putting a 12 inch wider beam, 6x6 rear arms, and plopping an LS3 with a 6 speed in it and calling it a vintage restoration. I think the concept of restoring vintage cars is kind of lost on the offroad crowd when compared to what other vintage race car folks do with old race cars.

LantanaTX

Or how about purists think that the car, as built and as received, was GREAT for a vintage racer. Every part on that car was still available NEW to be raced as it was built back then. It's kind of like taking a 1977 funco SS2, lengthening it 15", putting a 12 inch wider beam, 6x6 rear arms, and plopping an LS3 with a 6 speed in it and calling it a vintage restoration. I think the concept of restoring vintage cars is kind of lost on the offroad crowd when compared to what other vintage race car folks do with old race cars.
For me personally I want to race my car as it was raced back in the day. The only thing we changed on our 1976 Funco was adding a radio and a gps. We have left a lot on the table as far as the rules are concerned for an '82 and older Buggy class, but we are very competitive. Keeping the car correct was my choice and I sure don't blame anyone for building to the rule book. Maybe the rules need to tighten up. I was shocked that the BITD vintage rules allow modern bypass shocks on the pre '82 trucks. That is the same class I would race my Funco in if I did another BITD race.