• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rockstar?

Bro_Gill

Maybe the presidential candidate they are going to support does not approve of killing small animals in the desert, so they pulled out? Does the Bern like desert racing?

BajaFand

Rob Mac said he is racing SCORE this year and the Mint.
Other than that, time will tell.

Rockstar still has sponsorship in other sporting events as well. But like you say, probably a lot less to fund. Not sure about the SX and MX side though. That racing with that many events each year could be a big budget.
The Rockstar/Husqi partnership has to be big bucks compared to Rob Mac’s program. I heard they dropped all of their 4-wheel sponsorships so Tanner Foust was dropped as well. Good thing they stayed in snowbikes, whatever the f**k that is???

This all seems quite sudden, I thought I remember seeing the decals on Robs truck at the dyno before the race (I could be mistaken). It looks like the decals were peeled off right before the race. Plus, I thought Rob was signed with them thru 2021?

Bro_Gill

The Rockstar/Husqi partnership has to be big bucks compared to Rob Mac’s program. I heard they dropped all of their 4-wheel sponsorships so Tanner Foust was dropped as well. Good thing they stayed in snowbikes, whatever the f**k that is???

This all seems quite sudden, I thought I remember seeing the decals on Robs truck at the dyno before the race (I could be mistaken). It looks like the decals were peeled off right before the race. Plus, I thought Rob was signed with them thru 2021?
He may be still receiving funding, but they may be looking at the market exposure in a year where politics is going to get into everything. There are plenty of energy drink junkies out there that will drop a brand like a rock if their 'guy' says they support anything the enemy likes.

AZracefan

The Rockstar logo on Rob Mac's driver suit at Koh was even blacked out with tape.

I doubt Makita can offer the same Rockstar did to his program, but i hope for now it will cover rob and his team

Crusty Shellback

We were told a week before the race not to wear anything rockstar. They didn't have time for new race suits or anything. We barley got new shirts the day before the race. It was unexpected.
Not sure what Rockstars reasoning was or why they waited till a few weeks before the race to tell anyone.

RYAN COHEE

Well sometimes people live up to their names.
Weiner

Last edited:

ekozy39

Rockstar has been losing share for a while. They lost their way, and didn't really keep up with RB and Monster, or hold their place as a solid #3. Bang and others have come in and taken just enough of Rockstar's business that they have come to the point of having to trim programs. Sad, but I'm sure many of the other race teams/athletes will feel the effects soon. What's worse is that it's not like these new brands are stepping up to fill their void. I don't see Bang, C4, Celsius, etc getting into racing.

J Prich

Rockstar has been losing share for a while. They lost their way, and didn't really keep up with RB and Monster, or hold their place as a solid #3. Bang and others have come in and taken just enough of Rockstar's business that they have come to the point of having to trim programs. Sad, but I'm sure many of the other race teams/athletes will feel the effects soon. What's worse is that it's not like these new brands are stepping up to fill their void. I don't see Bang, C4, Celsius, etc getting into racing.
This is more of where I was going with the sign of the times thing. Maybe our market as a community is not as robust and we'd like to think. While some may not like the hype of certain races, the bottom line is the companies that are supporting the top of the food chain need visibility and reach to validate ROI. They are businesses and have to justify the support they are providing. If their business markets dry up, sponsor money becomes an easy cut. And if they see limited business value in the visibility (or lack thereof), they're going to take their money elsewhere.

Again not intending to sound the alarm here based on a single anecdotal case, just saying these things happen.

ltr450rider

I have to imagine that there are plenty of sponsorship opportunities available with many other companies out there, specifically aimed at the offroad crowd of spectators.

How many of us buy tools, I would think Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc. would be interested in putting their name on someones vehicle as a title sponsor.

We all buy tires, why not have a title sponsor with a tire company? RV's, Campers, retails camping centers should be pretty well vested in this form of motorsport as well.

I would think any company that makes a part or item that you can bolt on to your own vehicle, use on your vehicle, or tow with your vehicle could be enticed to help pay for a season of racing in short course and/or desert racing.

I believe part of this problem of lack of sponsorship dollars is due to the fact that most "offroad" teams are, for lack of a better term, unprofessional in the grand scheme of motorsports compared to road racing teams. Although that is part of our racing heritage and what makes most of what we do really fun, I think many companies that are willing to spend millions of their dollars on a racing program, are wanting a higher level of professionalism in the entire team.

pdailey

Racer
I have to imagine that there are plenty of sponsorship opportunities available with many other companies out there, specifically aimed at the offroad crowd of spectators.

How many of us buy tools, I would think Makita, Milwaukee, Dewalt, etc. would be interested in putting their name on someones vehicle as a title sponsor.

We all buy tires, why not have a title sponsor with a tire company? RV's, Campers, retails camping centers should be pretty well vested in this form of motorsport as well.

I would think any company that makes a part or item that you can bolt on to your own vehicle, use on your vehicle, or tow with your vehicle could be enticed to help pay for a season of racing in short course and/or desert racing.

I believe part of this problem of lack of sponsorship dollars is due to the fact that most "offroad" teams are, for lack of a better term, unprofessional in the grand scheme of motorsports compared to road racing teams. Although that is part of our racing heritage and what makes most of what we do really fun, I think many companies that are willing to spend millions of their dollars on a racing program, are wanting a higher level of professionalism in the entire team.
Being a part of the Honda team, Jeff stresses to us all the time that we are representing Honda and our sponsors above all. We all have to be very uniform in our appearance. I actually put in our pit books what to wear each day. Now with the Talons as part of the team, it’s double the stress as we are under the Honda Powersports eye as well as the Honda auto side.

Bro_Gill

Burleson, other than you totally missing the tongue in cheek portion of the post, let me educate you a little bit. Many years ago, teams were sponsored by places like Taco Bell, McDonalds, Del Taco, Pernod, J.D. Brand, Good Year, Western Auto, Laredo, Mac, Snap On, FORD, CHEVY, TOYOTA, DODGE, NISSAN, etc... Even in our regional market. Then, a guy named Cranston and a group called The Sierra Club decided our sport was public enemy #1. They pushed and pushed and eventually their Nationwide push helped end much of our regional support from national chains who felt that the message they were presenting to people in Vermont and Texas and Washington and Florida was hitting their bottom line enough to drop the sponsorship stuff or at least pull it back to the point that the regional market would use regional suppliers to be the name used for the advertising. Some companies just bailed altogether, like Nissan. When these attacks happen, big companies look at the big picture, not the regional one. With the presidential campaign this year, the effects social media have today, the knee jerk reaction by the public for following both truth and fiction before anything is sorted and proven (see the anti-vax crowd for help), companies may be looking at the NATIONAL MESSAGE being played out with Climate Change during the election year and might want to stay clear of any crazed social media posts that tie sponsors to anyone that could potentially HAMMER 50% of their market potential by tying them to anti-planet carbon producing, tree and plant killing desert racing, especially their biggest market, Millennials, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z who seem to live and learn everything in life from social media. But what do I know, I have only been fighting the land use battle since 1983. I have no background about this.

ltr450rider

Being a part of the Honda team, Jeff stresses to us all the time that we are representing Honda and our sponsors above all. We all have to be very uniform in our appearance. I actually put in our pit books what to wear each day. Now with the Talons as part of the team, it’s double the stress as we are under the Honda Powersports eye as well as the Honda auto side.
You guys are definitely the most professional looking and acting team that are in this class of motorsport. More need to be like the Proctor/Honda team if there is to be any type of outside money brought back into this sport.

cm cm

Ive noticed your crew in matching suits, complete with helmets in pics posted online... good job representing the sport in a professional light!