• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rockstar?

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Being a part of the Honda team, Jeff stresses to us all the time that we are representing Honda and our sponsors above all. We all have to be very uniform in our appearance. I actually put in our pit books what to wear each day. Now with the Talons as part of the team, it’s double the stress as we are under the Honda Powersports eye as well as the Honda auto side.
And yet Dan200 stays on. "It's mind bottling." 🤣

stephenrjking

I think some of the talk here is missing the plot a bit. Yeah, off road might not be as "slick" as professional road race teams, and yeah, environmentalists have put some pressure on sponsors...

But sponsorship has been a diminishing factor in all forms of motor racing for decades now. Look at Indycars now compared with 20 years ago--it's not even close to what it used to be, and it's getting smaller with Target finally breaking off from Ganassi. NASCAR is feeling the pinch. Few IMSA teams have any notable sponsorship at all.

Motor racing just doesn't draw sponsor dollars. And so off road, which is a niche within a niche, struggles a bit to retain serious sponsors. The market just isn't that big; frankly, we should be grateful that there is as much attention paid by Red Bull and Monster as there is. Monster sponsors three or four short course trucks, a half dozen desert trucks, a handful of rock racing guys, and some UTVs. That's a HUGE outlay. If I drank energy drinks (I do not) I would buy Monsters just to support them, and if I had any spare cash I'd buy monsters and dump them on the ground just to support them, because they are sponsoring a sport I enjoy watching.

Red Bull supports fewer vehicles, but they still support some, and they've invested in Crandon significantly. Both of these brands are shelling out in a big way.

Last year I mentioned that a pullout from an energy drink or two could be catastrophic. Rockstar is the least involved of the brands, but... nothing is guaranteed. Be thankful for what we have; nobody else is guaranteed to step into that void.

*If someone wants to pursue alternative sponsor options, creativity is necessary. Major brands aren't going to be interested. Maybe someone should look into brands that aren't welcome in places like NASCAR; I can think of at least one industry that has been rejected by them despite being extremely popular with the fanbase.

J Burleson

Burleson, other than you totally missing the tongue in cheek portion of the post, let me educate you a little bit. Many years ago, teams were sponsored by places like Taco Bell, McDonalds, Del Taco, Pernod, J.D. Brand, Good Year, Western Auto, Laredo, Mac, Snap On, FORD, CHEVY, TOYOTA, DODGE, NISSAN, etc... Even in our regional market. Then, a guy named Cranston and a group called The Sierra Club decided our sport was public enemy #1. They pushed and pushed and eventually their Nationwide push helped end much of our regional support from national chains who felt that the message they were presenting to people in Vermont and Texas and Washington and Florida was hitting their bottom line enough to drop the sponsorship stuff or at least pull it back to the point that the regional market would use regional suppliers to be the name used for the advertising. Some companies just bailed altogether, like Nissan. When these attacks happen, big companies look at the big picture, not the regional one. With the presidential campaign this year, the effects social media have today, the knee jerk reaction by the public for following both truth and fiction before anything is sorted and proven (see the anti-vax crowd for help), companies may be looking at the NATIONAL MESSAGE being played out with Climate Change during the election year and might want to stay clear of any crazed social media posts that tie sponsors to anyone that could potentially HAMMER 50% of their market potential by tying them to anti-planet carbon producing, tree and plant killing desert racing, especially their biggest market, Millennials, Gen X, Gen Y, and Gen Z who seem to live and learn everything in life from social media. But what do I know, I have only been fighting the land use battle since 1983. I have no background about this.
BroGil, I am aware of all of that info, and I appreciate all the years of fighting for land use. My question was simply where you found that Russell Wiener was a Bernie Sanders supporter? I found nothing showing this, and with Bernie being notoriously against billionaire donors, it wouldnt happen regardless. I guess I just missed your tongue in cheek.

Ty Owings

Honestly, my camp circle had at least 4x 12-packs of White Claw.

And I didn't see a single can of Rockstar the entire KOH week. It makes sense.
Sourapas had the right idea lol

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Sponsors are leaving all forms of motorsports look in the stands at any major NHRA drag race the stands are 60% full & NASCAR is just as bad, I remember Las Vegas speedway changing the color of the seats in the grandstands from all white to a random blue, red, white color configuration in 1999 to make the stands look full when the TV camera's panned around the speedway on national TV

I've noticed the crowd @ Pomona & Vegas NHRA drag races are getting older & older you see very few 11 to 30 year old's at all, The young kids (very few) are usually attending with the grandparents

jon coleman

less fans??? hmmmm, i know, lets raise ticket price's, sounds like a good business model.nfl too^.ps kids today of the public education variety are taught race fuel& hot dogs are evil

Bro_Gill

less fans??? hmmmm, i know, lets raise ticket price's, sounds like a good business model.nfl too^.ps kids today of the public education variety are taught race fuel& hot dogs are evil
It's not just ticket prices, what does it cost to go entry level racing in off road these days?

jon coleman

as much as my 10:90$ for a small soda& 2 slices of ok pizza( del mar)got yelled at, by person down the street& she called city to complain, del mar Sux

J Prich

Under 20k in class 2000 for the entire year.

That includes the truck itself, parts, fuel, transport, prep, entry fees, etc.
Are you talking about SNORE/MORE Class 2000, or BITD Class 2000? (which is SNORE 1600). Either way, I'm not sure how you are coming up with that math.

michael.gonzalez

MORE Class 2000. Sorry.

The truck we run is a 1990 22re toyota pickup with factory 5spd.
Has a long travel kit and single 2.5 coilover up front.
Has 64's and 2.5 double bypass out back.
Simple. Inexpensive.

Our competition had stroker V8's built TH400's, 3.0 coilovers, with 3.0 3.5 4.0 bypasses, etc.
I doubt any other class 2000 team spent less than ours.
We put money and effort where it made sense and came out class champions for our rookie season.

Last edited:

dhjeepgeek

This thread seems to have curved off course. Has anyone actually talked to Rockstar. Maybe its the expectation of lower income. I understand there is a new study showing energy drink with a link to heart arrhythmia's in children and adults. I ain't making it up. Everyone getting jacked up on chemicals. I know there is always some study showing everything is bad. Just saying.

NIKAL

Companies move their marketing budgets all the time. Maybe they were looking to sponsor something new and needed the budget. They are always reviewing what they are sponsoring, how long they have been involved in that sport or event, and the continued ROI.

Many times your ROI drops over long term sponsorship of a sport or event as your name is saturated and well known, and it’s the same fans that are seeing the same product.

When Dodge pulled out of NASCAR, they went heavy into the rodeo and PBR. New demographic and customers. Ram was everywhere.

J Prich

At this point I don't even care why Rockstar did what they did, etc. It's not something that anyone is likely going to sort out here.

All that matters to me is that someone needs to get on this to make sure the GOAT has what he needs to keep kicking butt!

Bro_Gill

This thread seems to have curved off course. Has anyone actually talked to Rockstar. Maybe its the expectation of lower income. I understand there is a new study showing energy drink with a link to heart arrhythmia's in children and adults. I ain't making it up. Everyone getting jacked up on chemicals. I know there is always some study showing everything is bad. Just saying.
Seen it on the heart monitor many times.

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I generally stay away from them for this reason. And my dad died young from a heart attack so I don't need any extra risks. Many years ago I mixed Red Bull and Mountain Dew on long drives to stay awake. No more of that! LOL. I am sure drinking them in moderation is fine but I cringe when I see people drinking 3 or 4+ in a day...

Rob is a bad ass and I am sure he won't have any problem picking up some new sponsors.

JWK Motorsports

IMG_3819.png