Rod Millen

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
One of my closest friends mom is married to Rod Millen and her and her mom just got back from New Zealand where they went to watch Rod participate in the New Zealand Hill Climb. I guess its the equivalent of the Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Anyways, I thought that it was cool that Rod races his CORR truck over there and dominates in it. He finished 2nd overall, only losing to the Japanese guy who is sponsored by Suzuki. Suzuki spends a million dollars on his car and Rod still only lost by 20 seconds, even beating the course record there set last year.

I thought that it was pretty cool that one of our off-road trucks can go over there and kick a$$, beating all the rally cars and such. Hoeker, you could be next! :)

I can only lead you to water, I cannot force you to drink it.

sirhk100

Reaction
I'm assuming it's the ugly red thing they call a Suzuki. I didn't realize Millen was running his Corr truck now. What happend to that old Celica or that Tacoma that didn't even really look like a tacoma? A friend of mine that interned at his shop took me through there and showed me his toys. That's tacoma is SICK!!!!! When I went through they were just finishing up the cage on their concept Celica. That was before the new Celica had even been shown to the public. The cage on that car was all run in between the outer body and inner body support columns. You could only see it in a couple spots inside the car. They also made it AWD...

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

Attachments

• 5-53346-PP99_tundra.jpg
    5-53346-PP99_tundra.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 192

Quick_Prerunner

Reaction
Toyota decided they had nothing else to prove after winning Pikes Peak like 7 times consecutively just like they did for Off Road racing with Ivan and winning like 10 of the Baja 500's they had nothing else to prove. They have decided to pull all their efforts together for their Formula 1 program. Toyota is a company that goes all or nothing. When they enter a racing series with their factory backing they make sure they win. They're still going through teething problems in F1 but I'm sure they'll come out on top soon. Maybe after that they'll start to come back to dirt racing. By the way CORR is not a full factory backed effort. It's done by TRD which doesn't have the resources that the mother company Toyota does.

Mike

michael_loomis

Reaction
sorry to hijack , but speaking of toyota , a black seq. (toy fullsize SUV , not going to butcher the name lol) pulled up to our 2 truck camp at the glamis flats saturday , out hopped a couple of guys saying they wanted to check out my buddies brand new stock tacoma. turned out one of the guys was a chief engineer for toyota and he came out to see how his trucks were being used and what we liked /disliked about the truck . our only complaints were the weak tailgate , and no extended cab doors like my sonoma.

i thought it was way cool for him to have flown out from japan to check out his work , and i have yet another new respect for toyota.

billymanfroy

Reaction
I hadn't heard of that event before, and then yesterday I heard that Possum Bourne got hurt really bad while prerunning for it. Apparently hit another car head-on and is now in a coma. He's a rally racer from NZ for those who don't know.

Didn't know Millen was involved, but it makes sense since he's from there. I met him a few times at the CORR races and he was a nice guy. He appeared pretty heartbroken at Vegas in '99 knowing Toyota was pulling the plug on him...

hoeker

Reaction
are you sure it was his corr truck? i watched him race the pikes peak once, but that was some turbo'd road race type truck, nothing like a corr off road truck. just curious how compatable they really are if you lower the suspension a little more and dial the shocks for that type of racing.
FWIW one of the guys i raced in stock is going to run his stocker up pikes peak this year, he's getting out of CORR and just wants to say he did it. that's some pretty serious stuff on pikes peak with the huge drop offs if you miss the turn.

Some are born great, some achieve greatness,
and some have greatness thrust upon them.

hoeker

Reaction
at the champions banquet randy zimonick told me he was going to quit running CORR and run pikes peak this summer for one last hurah. haven't talked to him since, but i think he still plans on it. personally i think a corr stocker wouldn't do too bad for the mild engine, and suspension setup.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.rosshoek.com>www.rosshoek.com</A>

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
(1) Possom Bourn was driving back from his hotel which was on top of the mountain in his rental car and was hit by a guy in a rally car pre-running for the race. The rally car drive broke both legs as did Possum, but Possum sustained massive head injuries. Almost didn't make it. He is one of Rod's closest friends and Rod was pretty upset I was told.

(2) Rod doesn't race those specialty cars anymore, he races one of his old CORR trucks sponsored by Shell. They gear it differently, lower if a little but other than that it is pretty much the same. I guess he just leaves the truck over there for the race. He is like a national celebrity in New Zealand. Everybody loves him.

I can only lead you to water, I cannot force you to drink it.

TimHayosh

Reaction
In re to Rod Millen:
The better the driver, the less the car matters. He could probably show up in a bone stock, rusty, 1965 Ford pick up with 300,000 miles on it and finish in the top 10.

Happy motoring, Tim

MNotary

Reaction
Ross, I did Pikes Peak in my 1600 car in ...98?... I borrowed a big motor. It is pretty easy. I did hang a wheel over the edge... Practice starts early, I taped a Mag Light to the roof for the mandatory head light. Pretty cool running up to the staging area in the dark....

Millens Pikes Peak truck is the old Celica. The motor is the old GTP motor. whooooossshhhh, chirp, chirp, chirp, whoossshhh

Too bad his CORR truck didn't stay around. It was trick.

The Suzuki is pretty cool. But Millens Pikes Peak truck had him...

The big rigs are comical, especially the twin screw. See them get sideways...

hoeker

Reaction
after watching rod millen set the record speed again the year i was there(98?), the big rigs were the highlight of the event, definately impressive to watch. not sure if i'll ever go back to spectate again, but i'm really glad i got to see it once. although the tent and sidways rain above the tree line the night before was less than fun.

bajaboy

Reaction
Very well said Tim , I have seen the whole Millen family drive , they are all amazing ! 2 weeks ago I saw Rhys at Irwindale Speedway getting sideways , I think theres a video in the road race forum .

Bajaboy

MNotary

Reaction
Herzog was there that year with a all wheel drive pick up. Had one of the locals crying the year before and I don't think the local raced that year. It was 98. I think Ragland was driving.

Roger Mears was there doing the celebrity race. (He stuck his head in my car on qualifying day.)

Speedway Motors put a Corvette body on one of the old open wheelers.

The guy that won open wheel that year (and about 10 times before) can drive. Gary??

Jerri Unser had a all aluminum open wheel car in mini sprint. Stock Acura drive train. Thing was nice.

You can drive up and down that thing all day for a week and still get lost.

80 deg and sunny at the start and snow at the top. Camping too much for the hardy midwestern dude?

You can coast all the way down from the top. (4 gal. short course cell)

The big rig twin screw is CFI? A big freight company from the east? The had a big crew.

You should take your new truck. Short shocks and springs and a blower for the weight you are at...

MNotary

Reaction
I was corrected on the old Celica and the Tacoma. The Tacoma is new, not a rebody of the Celica.

Must be a bummer to build new and not be faster than the old. There is alot of work there.

The way they are spraying more of the road, you would think the times would drop. It is like asphalt on the bottom.

sirhk100

Reaction
Yeah, when I went through his shop the Tacoma was sitting out and I was looking at it. My friend pointed to the Celica which was sitting up on a Meazanine under a car cover...

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (AKA Dezert Limo cause it's loaded)

AllwaysRcn

Reaction
Tim
The P.P. video on your site called "Climb Dance" is my all time fav. Very huge download though.

hoeker

Reaction
what did leduc race up the hill last year? i remember he got rookie of the year, but not sure how he did.

as far as the camping goes, we froze out there, camped on top of a hill above the tree line in sleet, was horrible. winds were strong, we couldn't get out of our tents for fear they would blow away. i think we were 2 miles from the top, that was the best spot we could find to see a lot of the road as it winds up the hill. i'm pretty sure i was there in 98, i think it was the last trip i made with my classic bronco, and i rolled it in the fall of 99, never to hit the steet again. well not yet anyway.

the pro-2 would be fun, that's for sure.

MNotary

Reaction
Leduc....Rookie of the year? I beat Jerri Unser by 2 positions in the same class and she got ROY. I talked to a few people I met out there after I got back... "...you got ripped off...you should have got ROY..." A somewhat lame accolade anyway.

Nothing better than camping...not... I must bet getting old.

You should go. Easy on equipment. Fun "track". Easy to do. Entry fee is pretty steep. It is one of the "BIG ONES" to do..... Pikes Peak, BAJA 1K, Crandon (not the new track), Mint 400(the latest incarnation if there is one), Paris-Dakar..... It takes a week.