Roeseler to Race Dakar

Baja_Seve

Reaction
The following release is from Larry Roeseler's publicist...

The 26th Telefonica Dakar Rallye in 2004 will, for the first time since its inception in 1977, see a three-rider team of American racers participating in the granddaddy of rallies. Backed by KTM Sportmotorcycle USA and Red Bull, the team will consist of two veteran riders -Larry Roeseler and Paul Krause - who, between them, have more than 60 years of off-road racing experience around the globe.

Team member number three has yet to be chosen. In fact, KTM has decided to conduct an unprecedented, nationwide search for the third rider, though it's not a contest you're going to see on TV. Instead, the search for the third rider will be determined based on his or her off-road racing background, capability to make good decisions despite enormous fatigue, adaptability to foreign circumstances and ability to project a positive image for America and the team.

You see, the 2004 Telefonica Dakar Rallye will also witness for the first time a race within the race, wherein two-rider teams compete for their respective countries. It'll be modeled along the lines of the Motocross des Nations, the Trial des Nations and the ISDE. In other words, expect it to be a "Rallye des Nations," a sort of world team championship of desert racing decided by how well a country's two top-placing racers do in the dash to Dakar.

michael_loomis

Reaction
sounds like a job for Johnny Campbell ( no disrepect to the rest of team honda or anyone else for that matter)

maybe Destry Abbott

Vtr_Racing

Reaction
This is great...........I have been waiting for this one to happen for a long time. Give the Europeans a run for their money finally. I know who my money is gonna be on. Give em heck LR! Go USA.........

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Too many people die in the Dakar races.

I hope their effort goes well.

PBR

Reaction
what about jimmy lewis, he has raced dakar in the past on a beemer and done rather well.

now all we need is an american driver in F1...

Harpo

Reaction
Aren't Larry and Paul both a little on the old side to be competing in a month long endurance race. believe me I have much respect for both of these guys but I think a younger team team would be better for this type of racing?????

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Most of the big Euro factory guys are "older" example: Alphie Cox. I think Roesler and Paul and have a decent shot if you pair them with the likes of Campell who has already run one before.

Is each rider riding his own bike or are they sharing one and each rider doing different stages?

martininsocal

Reaction
While young bucks tend to spring better, older types tend to deal with endurance type events better. Most world class Marathoners are in their early 30's which is considered the peak years for long distance racing. On the other side, you have ultra marathons where the most competitive racers are even older. Look at John Howard, the Triathlete, he is old and is still competitive in most ecochallenge type events. I think one reason is the maturity of the mind as well as the physical capability. Most older folks tend not to whine or let "bad" things affect their effort as much. Younger ones just tend to whine aboutthe circumstances and it affects them mentally.

Good call, hope they do great!

Martin

Dave_G

Reaction
Somebody needs to dust the cob webs off of Dan Smiths motorcycles....

Dave