• Forum membership has its advantages....

Roger Mears @ Baja 1000 with Jeep Honcho

Mojave Traveler

Great Scott!!

LjL5kmYB_400x400.jpg

I have approximately 40 vhs tapes of desert racing from the 1970's to the early 2000's.I'll be posting videos as time permits on my youtube channel (youtube/unclesmonkee). Hopefully, youtube won't be whining about copy rights violations.

I also have a lot of home videos from about 1989 to the late 1990's.I'll be posting those as well. Some of these tapes haven't been played in almost 30 years, so the quality may not be the best on some.I just hope the tapes are playable at this point..I was a true desert racing nerd back in the day, and i recorded anything and everything on t.v. about desert racing.Very little,if anything, aired without me recording it..lol

Here's a small sample of what's to come.Enjoy!

Last edited:

toddz

Fantastic!

Interesting to listen to the details of the narration. It sounded like when they came upon the logjam in the course that Rod Hall was ahead of them somewhere, but you could see his truck among those stopped at that point.

I'm sure this will give Furrier a fresh dose of energy to keep working on the truck!

Todd Z.

retroblazer

Keep them coming! Nice to see old footage. I don't know about Mears truck going 140 mph unless it was dropped from a plane.

Class3Fan

Great Scott!!

View attachment 181916

I have approximately 40 vhs tapes of desert racing from the 1970's to the early 2000's.I'll be posting videos as time permits on my youtube channel (youtube/unclesmonkee). Hopefully, youtube won't be whining about copy rights violations.

I also have a lot of home videos from about 1989 to the late 1990's.I'll be posting those as well. Some of these tapes haven't been played in almost 30 years, so the quality may not be the best on some.I just hope the tapes are playable at this point..I was a true desert racing nerd back in the day, and i recorded anything and everything on t.v. about desert racing.Very little,if anything, aired without me recording it..lol

Here's a small sample of what's to come.Enjoy!

Any chance you've got a copy of Johnny Rutherford's show "The Racers" shot at the 1976 WRA Sandmaster 300?

Mojave Traveler

Any chance you've got a copy of Johnny Rutherford's show "The Racers" shot at the 1976 WRA Sandmaster 300?
Hmmmm...I'm pretty sure i don't have that one..But you'll be seeing some old class 3's in my vids for sure!

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
That is really cool! Finding images, people, parts along with figuring out the real history of these old machines is never easy, so to have 20 minutes of video is a gift!

Thanks for posting, I'll for be using it to tell the Honchos' story. I cant wait to see what else you have, I could never figure out how to make the VCR record while I was out getting into to trouble on my dirt bike!

Mojave Traveler

That is really cool! Finding images, people, parts along with figuring out the real history of these old machines is never easy, so to have 20 minutes of video is a gift!

Thanks for posting, I'll for be using it to tell the Honchos' story. I cant wait to see what else you have, I could never figure out how to make the VCR record while I was out getting into to trouble on my dirt bike!
lol.. A lot of the old vids i have are from obscure cable channels that show any and everything late at night. I remember staying up till about 3 am just to watch and record an old Mint 400 race hosted by infamous radio D.J. "Wolfman Jack"..lol..I have some very historic stuff. No doubt i have more of the Budweiser Honcho on one of these tapes..Stay tuned!

ACME

Thanks! Courses are a lot different these days with development, ranches, all the prerunning and 37-42" tires...

Mojave Traveler

Just to let everyone know, it's going to be at least another week until i post anymore videos. I had to buy another vcr.Delivery date is June 14th -19th..The heads are going bad on the one i have (Note the static on the Roger Mears' video) ..I want to have as good a picture as i can to preserve these videos properly.