Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
theres one other j-10 that hasnt been talked about it is the budweiser jeep prerunner , i built it at walkers before leaving with mike moore. it was built real close to the race trucks but had more interior , roll up windows, ac , door panels, carpet , it was even used in parts of the commercials .. it is the only one that the roof never got changed as a bud truck ... maybe this is the one that clive had with the old roof .....

xracer33 = Mike Moore Racing Crew Chief, Tom Strong.

Vintage Rule number 1: Don't talk about any car lost that's worth having in public, unless you know that is either on the moon or at the bottom of the ocean! Call me and give me time to find it first, if I cant find it I'll trick Rory into finding it than I screw him out of it!

I may have notes on the pre-runner somewhere, I think we talked about it a while ago...I'll look.

Was there more commercials besides the Budweiser commercial?

xracer33

Reaction
yes there were two more commercials , one for amc jeep made at parker dont know what happen to it .and was (i think ) some kinda of safety film .. and a documentary on the baja1000 that showed at theaters (was told that) never saw it in one and on tv, did see that ... was vcr tapes of it flootin around ....

Jack

Reaction
Truck 2 is right for the Jeepspeed truck. The cab was changed in the early 90's after a roll. We changed the front to fourlink and coils in about 95-96 then did the rear the next rear. It is fast, but a real handful to drive.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
yes there were two more commercials , one for amc jeep made at parker dont know what happen to it .and was (i think ) some kinda of safety film .. and a documentary on the baja1000 that showed at theaters (was told that) never saw it in one and on tv, did see that ... was vcr tapes of it flootin around ....

I need to start digging for these, if any one has any video of the Bud trucks I'd sure like to see it.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
Truck 2 is right for the Jeepspeed truck. The cab was changed in the early 90's after a roll. We changed the front to fourlink and coils in about 95-96 then did the rear the next rear. It is fast, but a real handful to drive.

Thanks for clearing up that mystery Jack. The cab changes on both trucks are likely what led to the confusion over the years.

La Tijereta

Reaction
Here is Larry Casey's truck (563) in 83', at the Mint 400 w/ step-side... Tim ran the "other" Honcho (567)..

1983.Mint 400.563.La Paz Party Mix.21x.jpg

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
the front push bars. are different on the two trucks.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
Truck 1 for the most part raced with a double tube front bumper, except the first few races of 79 it had only the center section as it shows in the Off Road Magazine article and in 81 it had single tube bumper.. When the Casey's started racing the trucks, the front bumpers were changed.

Its very difficult to tell the difference between Truck 1 and Truck 3 when they were the La Paz colors(both stepsides at that time), but after the 83 season they primarily raced Truck 2 and Truck 3. Larry raced truck 2, Tim Raced Truck 3.

Truck 1 1979 Baja 500 with original front bumper-
1979 Baja 500 3.jpg

Truck 1 1980 Baja 1000 with double front bumper-
1980 baja 1000 2.jpg

Truck 1 1981 Baja 500 With new Cab, grill and single front bumper-
1981 baja 500.jpg

retroblazer

Reaction
Very interesting..... The front anti sway/ secondary spring set up using VW torsion bars. The spring packs appear to be pretty light. One wouldn't want to be banging the rear end into the stops much, but this truck is light for its size. A single spare and one 53 gallon cell.
So what did they break?

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
The springs were light in the front which Tom thought were around 275, the rears are 245 according to Deaver who just rebuilt them a couple of weeks ago.

My notes show a transmission failure, blown motor and the steering box. The Jeep was pretty reliable considering all of the OEM parts that were used in the driveline and suspension compared to today.

xracer33

Reaction
the front bars were two individual 30 mm bars that only worked the last three inches of travel .. truck #1 and #2 just had the bars on the front but truck #3 had them front and back i never got to test that truck to see how it worked !!! truck #1 race weight was close to 5000 pounds maybe a little more ...i believe it has a two inch cage as the others had inch and three quarter cages ..im thinkin the rear were around 180 ....

La Tijereta

Reaction
1983.Frontier 500.casey.honcho.401.21x.jpg
Here is a image of (Truck 1?) at the 83' Frontier 500... Later images (84') are showing a second spare mounted on the cross bar (Truck 3?) I am guessing based on your history...

xracer33

Reaction
thats truck 3 , because of where the exhaust exits over the frame and out the bed step , the rear shock mounts are all on the cross bar, the second spare is mounted on the floor of the bed up front ....the other pic is probably truck 2 because it never had a second spare tire being a short coarse truck and not much of a floor in the bed . it even had a spare cuz mike wanted one .when it got changed to a desert truck someone put the spare on the cross bar ... my thinking... i came across one of the trucks #2 or #3 at a race lucerne i think and the guy told me he built it , i just laughed !!!

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
The first pic must be Truck 1, Truck 2 never had the bed changed from a fleetside when the Caseys' had it.

those shock mounts look exactly like whats on Truck 1. Whats odd is that with the truck I got upper rear spring perches that have shock mounts, but they didn't line up with the rear cage. Also, Truck 1 had the second spare mount(off the shelf Rough Country) bolted to the floor. Check out the pictures above from Randalls yard.

I wonder if some of Truck 3 parts ended up on Truck 1?

savebud 08.jpg

xracer33

Reaction
truck 401 is truck3 can tell by the exhaust .truck 1 with the fleetside , the spare just laid on the floor with a big wing nut like the one we used on the rear spare that went to a nut welded to a plate that bolted to the floor ,when they changed beds someone bolted that rough country thing in the stepside bed ..truck 1 when first built had two of the shocks mounted on the spring plates and one on the crossbar ,then one got added to the crossbar ..so that gave you 4 shocks per wheel. then the two outboard shocks were moved to the inboard with to other two , that's why there are still mounts on the spring plates ..there were mounts on the long downbars (may have been cut off), i see in the pic that all the front shock mounts have been changed . truck3 when built had all 4 shocks mounted inboard on the crossbar.

Slippery P

Reaction
Then this would be truck 3 running in the 89' Gold Coast race.. driven by Bill Hindson...
Exhaust is out the side over the frame...

View attachment 172239
which looked like this when it left our hands in the mid 90s I would really like to find it my grandfather John Zahn part founder of T&Js sold it and rumor is it is in pieces somewhere.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
Website
www.upr.com
Yes this was a 401 truck, which looked like this when it left our hands in the mid 90s I would really like to find it my grandfather John Zahn part founder of T&Js sold it and rumor is it is in pieces somewhere.

George Barnett bought Truck number 2 who I thought was part of T&J? Was John Zahn a partner?