Roll Cage Design

TDORSloppy

I'm going to be putting a cage in my truck within the next month and I need some ideas for the design. I found a couple pics of trucks that I liked but still haven't made a final decision. The cage is going from the firewall to the rear bumper and I want to keep it semi-lightweight (2.4L motor). Here's a couple pics of what I want to do.
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.protrux.net/cage1.jpg>http://www.protrux.net/cage1.jpg</A>

The first picture is a little too much for me and the second pic is too simple. What's my best bet?

Attachments

partybarge_pilot

The second set-up looks good to Me. I would put in some X braceing and call it a day. Simple isn't bad. All the load points on the truck are well supported and it is well triangleated.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I am notsure which pic is forst and which is second, but the picture here look good and the other truck on the hyperlink looks like too many redundant pieces. Go with the pic on this page.

Kris

cleartoy

I like the grey standard cab. I agree with the other guy. Add some x bracing. Nice though.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

ntsqd

The only issue I have with the posted pic is where the hyd bump's cross bolt is attached to the structure. It's very nicely done, but it puts a bending moment on that tube. If you're going to include some hyd bumps, think about how to introduce it's load at a tube junction, not mid-span of a tube. It would be nice if the battery tray were not cantilevered off the frame rail, but if it's tied into the 'horse collar' xmember it's probably good enough.
Also, note the diamond shaped gussets where the hyd bump's tube pierces the frame rail & at the front spring hanger, very nice details.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

ntsqd

Maybe a stupid Q, but what are the bottles duct taped to the rear cage for ?

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
That picture was right after the race and they did not want the bottles bouncin around in the cab.

Kris

DuffcoDan

it is extra water and energy bars just in case we got stuck out in the dezert for a while. with all the tools and misc. in the cab we ran out of room inside.

Tyson

You guys have to give Fish some credit he did that back 1/2 of the cage by himself, and just wanted to make sure it would hold up to the abuse that he puts "The piece" through. (At least thats why I think he did it) And the Grey Toyota does look very good I can't wait to see a pic of how it looks when he finishes it (Bedside mounts and whatever else they will be doing)

Look at me, I can fly

Check It</font color=red>

fishd00d

What A Joke
Tyson that white Toyota is not mine heheh. I will post some pictures of my cage tomorrow.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society
U.J.T.S. Manwhore

fishd00d

What A Joke
Here are a few pics of the Piece's Cage:

This is where we went through on the top...we tig welded a piece of plate to the bar and cab to cover the hole and help solid mount the body. I am not done yet.

The Inside is still in progress...

Go Big Or Go Home

Timberwlf

Damnnnn Fish..looks good..

The piece has defiantly went through a transformation since last time I saw it.Ya might have to rename it.is It gonna be ready for the next MDR race???

Later
Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

fishd00d

What A Joke
Goal is for the first MDR race of next year...since I am going to the 1000 with a team already or I would do that MDR race.

Go Big Or Go Home

Timberwlf

Fish,

The 1000 is in late November...The MDR race is the last weekend of September...

Brandon

94 Ranger X-Cab 4x4 5.0 H.O. v-8 Pre-Runner/ Chase Truck

shrek

But there is another MDR race the same weekend as the Baja 1000.

Racing isn't everything.............it's the only thing!!!