Rollcage Design Help!!!-Helmet clearance issue

RyanWiW

Reaction
We just installed the seats in the truck and we are concerned about helmet clearance to the horizontal roof bar connecting the two B-pillars. See diagram 1 and attached pics. We want to remove the horizontal bar and gusset as in diagram 3. We are concerend about having the b-pillar unbraced at the roof though. So we are considering doing something like in diagram 2. It just seems overkill. Will diagram 3 pass tech inspection or should we do something like in diagram 2 or do any of you have any other suggestions. Right now we have about 4"-4.5" of clearance to the bar without helmets. We mounted the seats as low as they can go. We are running mastercraft pro 4 seats. Is there a better seat to run that will give us a lower postion therfore better headclearance. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• cage_diagram_1.jpg
    cage_diagram_1.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 514
  • cage_diagram_2.jpg
    cage_diagram_2.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 493
  • cage_diagram_3.jpg
    cage_diagram_3.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 455
  • cage_pics_001.jpg
    cage_pics_001.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 605
  • cage_pics_002.jpg
    cage_pics_002.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 515

bigtex

Reaction
Iam not an expert but 4-4.5 inches seems like enough to me. I have right at the same in my racetruck and with the helmet on I do not hit. Hope this helps.

Tech Tim

Reaction
You need to check the regs with your sanctioning body.

I've always used the Fist between the helmet and nearest tube trick and that has always been enough to pass tech at the Rock Crawl and circle track events I've been to.

weldithot79

Reaction
Can you post a picture of how you mounted your seat? I have seen taller guys that welded the tube the seats mount on under the cab sheet metal and have the tab come up through the floor to gain head room.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I had the same problem when I redid my seats. Fresh padding put me up too high. Our helmets hit on the roof itself. Some of the non-suspension seats end up putting you lower than your Mastercraft. Sparcos are a lot lower, but I was afraid to change because my suspension seat worked good for me. I kept my suspension seat and ended up putting a "halo" on top of my buggy and mounted theroof to that for our heads to clear. I ddn't have to mess with the tubing. In your case it sure would be easier to mount a lower sitting seat IMO.

fullthrottle

Reaction
SCORE rules require 3" of clearance between top of helmet and tubing. I would recommend going with a Sparco or Cobra seat to gain clearance.;)

RyanWiW

Reaction
After emaileing back and forth with Bill Savage at SCORE tech, he has given us the go-ahead to remove the section of the cage in question. Thanks for the input everyone!

07FJRog

Reaction
SCORE rules require 3" of clearance between top of helmet and tubing. I would recommend going with a Sparco or Cobra seat to gain clearance.;)

I think most of short course is the same BTW, 3" minimum.

and those seats are nice :)