Roof-Mount Antenna's

Jordan

Reaction
Roof-Mount Antenna\'s

I am having a roof mounted antenna installed tomorrow at Solder Joint in Tustin, CA. I was wondering if anyone has used them before for installations or service? I have purchased CB Radios from them for years and they always seem nice.

Can anyone recommend some other places to get this done? Reasonable pricing.

Solder Joint is going to charge me $30 for the antenna and wire and $40 for 1 hour of installation service. That includes removing the headliner, drilling the hole in the roof, re-installing the headliner and running the wire ofcourse. Good deal??

This will actually be connected to my stereo unti because I havent had a radio antenna for 2 years since I installed the fiberglass fenders and didnt want to cut the hole for the stock antenna. I also might have them install a second one behind it for my cb/race radio.

Opinions? Thanks!

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Jack

Reaction
Re: Roof-Mount Antenna\'s

Sounds like a good price for the work, I would have them do it all at one time, should cost less then doing it a couple of times and the headliner and panels have a chance of breaking when there are taken off and put back on so minimize the number of times this is done. Even when a professional is doing the work I would check for shorts or open circuits after, I have had one roof mount come from them that was shorted.

Jordan

Reaction

Thanks for your thoughts!

<font color=red>"The more we play the more we pay"</font color=red>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

If you are mounting it by your dome light I will do it for 20, if you suppley the ant and cable. I did mine in about 45 minutes. I dont run the ant. all the time though because it wacks the crap out of my garage door and ceiling I made some small downed caps that go over the moutn to save the threads but they are at the anodizer still let m eknow if you wnat one.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

mgobaja

Reaction

I dont think the FM 2 way antenna will be in the right freq range to work your stereo.

AllwaysRcn

Reaction

I thought "FM" stood for "frickin magic"

<font color=red>"Quality has no fear of time"</font color=red>

BradM

Reaction

It's not but it will work fine. I have one on a little motorhome that we built and it works bitchin for FM.

BradM

Reaction

Here's the pic I thought I attached to the last post.

Attachments

• 6-27606-topkick3.jpg
    6-27606-topkick3.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 109

Jack

Reaction

For just recieve it realy dosn't matter biger is better (in most casses)

pciscott

Reaction

In my experience you should keep the coax at least 5 inches away from the dome light. The heat put off from some of those lights makes the center conductor swim towards the outer shield and kills your range, and will eventually short out the coax. The floor boards on some trucks can do the same thing from heat from the transmission tunnel. To be safe keep the coax away from heat and in good shape. Distorted or smashed coax degrades your radio signal so when you use tie raps on your coax do not over tighten them. If the coax on your mag mount is thrashed replace it and your range will improve. A little dielectric grease on center pin of the mount helps a lot also. Mount your antennas more towards the center of your roof for a better ground plane, this does not matter if you are using the antenna for your stereo system. A VHF 1/4 wave works just fine for stereo reception. Good luck, and Kritter show me one of your antenna caps I'm interested.

God Bless America

Scott Steinberger Trophy Truck #7

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction

My antenna is on my roof and I would say my sheetmetal hits about 140 at least, at a dez race is that too hot? my ant. is about 6 inches behind my dome and I get good range, but I think I need a tune up on it Scott.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"