• Forum membership has its advantages....

Roof top tents on chase racks

Big Whitey

I’m getting ready to put a rack on my chase truck and want to set it up to also hold a roof top tent. Who has already done this and how and where do they have it set up at. Front- rear. I think I saw some at the 1k. Also brands that people have had good or not so good experiences with. Pics would be great.

Dave Cole 4454

I will sort pics, I run James Baroud tent on a rack that extends half way over the cab.

Short bed crew cab 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 with Pronghorn service bed.

The Baroud tent is the top of the market IMHO and with the service bed Im able to carry full tools and decent amount of spares with no clutter.

I am switching the RAM to a 2020 Raptor and will be running the tent behind and even with the top of the cab.

With a cummins the tent sucks up 1.5 mpg

Absolutely perfect for Baja

Big Whitey

Thanks Dave I will look into that model, I’m leaning towards a hard shell for less resistance and Put it up front

TMorford

I have a first gen Raptor with one of the bolt in tire holder/chase racks so we just built a tent rack that sits on the bedsides with bigger angle iron and heavy duty C clamps to hold it in place. From there its just 4 pieces of round tubing going up that attaches to a box steel tubing square that the tent is bolted to thats slightly below the roofline. The aluminum rail mounting system that comes with the tents are garbage offroad so we just bored out the stock holes a little bit to use bigger hardware, no issues so far. Not sure what the hard shell tents use but they are probably a little better.

I currently have an ARB tent and had a Tepui on a small utility trailer a few years ago and they were both solid. Ive read the cheaper ones arent built as well but dont have personal experience.

Brian1

@Samco Fab ran a soft side ARB (?) tent for a while on his truck. It wasnt much taller than the roof when folded. Room for tool and parts boxes under it. Here is the only photo I took of it while prerunning the 1000 a few years ago

DSC_6761-2.jpg

Ty Owings

If you look up on youtube the @wingsworld they actually installed a setup on his f150 obs. Do you have a fuel tower above the cab?

dsmith13

Look at Shannon Campbell's chase trucks too, I know I've seen a couple with hard shell rooftop tents on them as well and think they're above the cab.

Big Whitey

If you look up on youtube the @wingsworld they actually installed a setup on his f150 obs. Do you have a fuel tower above the cab?
No on the fuel tower. Still in prep stage for the rack build so I am doing homework on what everyone that uses them does. It’s going on My F250 short bed with a service bed on it my biggest issue is with 35” spares for my 5U Rack space becomes very limited in the back unless I put tire in the bed and then I’m real short on extra space

Attachments

Big Whitey

@Samco Fab ran a soft side ARB (?) tent for a while on his truck. It wasnt much taller than the roof when folded. Room for tool and parts boxes under it. Here is the only photo I took of it while prerunning the 1000 a few years ago

View attachment 207840
That is one cool pic. I like how they turned it sideways to get the ladder out the back instead of off the side. That was one of my thoughts

Samco Fab

View attachment 207840
This is such a cool pic Brian, nice work! Notice our unsuccessful fire off to the right, coastal fog makes for wet wood. That is an ARB tent, I do think it is decent for the price, but I end up not zipping up the cover, as that is pretty tough when you have a few blankets inside.

Too Tall

What about something like a GFC camper? It lies pretty flat and is strong enough to handle Baja. You can also have the sides of the camper lock.

Big Whitey

Yes like the locking idea so it also helps in keeping it from opening while in motion, I have looked into a lot of brands lately from so cheap it’s scary to holy cow. I think I am most likely going with the Torro Offroad brand. Small company that is real new but has a equal to most and better than a lot level of quality and good sizing for comfort and at the same time reasonably compact

johndjmix

I have the smittybuilt tent and love it. For the price you can’t go wrong.

Use it on my raptor and the super duty...

I have it mounted just above the bed but below the roof so it gets no wind and has no effect on mileage.

—john

Dezertpilot

What about something like a GFC camper? It lies pretty flat and is strong enough to handle Baja. You can also have the sides of the camper lock.
Pretty sure I'll be going with the GFC, really like the company and it fits well with a Raptor.