• Forum membership has its advantages....

RRally Trucks in our stateside rallys

Chubs

I like to think I’m somewhat intelligent but, search as hard as I may, I cannot find and information about anyone running trucks ( Ford, Chevy, etc.) in any of our stateside rallies! I’m in the beginning stages of building an 1994 F-150 4x4 5.8 E4OD, extended cab truck with the wheelbase shortened to 129” to run at OTR, Olympus, & Idaho. I’ve got a ton of ideas for the truck, I’ve got a well known fabricator doing my cage/ fab work, ARA’s website is very clear about what they expect to see at tech, all that is good to go. I’d just like to see what other guys have done, maybe get in touch with them & bend their ear about maybe what NOT to do? I like to see stuff, like I miss the OLD Dirtsports...the centerfolds were almost as good

spalind

Yes, it is...There area few Rally Trucks out there. Bill Holmes is the fastest and is out of CA/AZ and runs a newer F150 when he races which isn't too often these days. Then there is Gary DeMasi in NY who runs an old Ranger with a Mustang 5.0 swap in it. Then there is me and I run a Nissan Frontier. There are a handful of others...I can think of another Ford and a Chevy that are out there running but that's about it....

Chubs

Thanks Spalind, Bill Holmes was the name I couldn’t remember! Gary DeMasi’s Ranger looks like a TON of fun! I’m thinking I’ll build my truck to the T safety wise & maybe they’ll let me take a rear start so I don’t hold up the rest of the show....

Chubs

I’m in Central Oregon, Redmond, just north of Bend, lots of powerline roads & such, but like I said earlier, I’d love to run OTR, Olympus, & Idaho

spalind

Thanks Spalind, Bill Holmes was the name I couldn’t remember! Gary DeMasi’s Ranger looks like a TON of fun! I’m thinking I’ll build my truck to the T safety wise & maybe they’ll let me take a rear start so I don’t hold up the rest of the show....
I think you'll be surprised...I had the same idea to request a rear start but it was exceedingly rare when I was the slowest of the starters

Chubs

Your truck looks good! Looks like your setup is dualsport, a little rally but more prerun? I’m going to go with a slightly lower than stock height in the front with the back 1” lower on 33’s, I might change from leafs out back to a shortcourse link setup....

Ol' Curmudgeon

RDC's resident crackpot
This year's Prescott Forest Rally was cancelled last summer, but Trent Beaver ran the Beaver's older Ford pickup in it a few years back and had lots of fun.

I'm old, t'was 2009.

Chubs

I’ll have to look that one up to, their old Ford 8 truck was one of my favorites back then! Thanks for the heads up!

9five9

Jim Cox is another. He's in Minnesota or Wisconsin and runs a Chevy S10 with I believe an LS swap. He used to run open AWD, and several years ago, he switched to Group 5. Jim Perrin (not sure how you spell his name) ran a Jeep Comanche a while back and then swapped all the bits into a cherokee.

I have been wanting to a race local shortcourse for a long time, but now I'm thinking a rally truck would be much better. Dan that truck looks amazing.

scottm

Matt15 - cool, start a thread on your build in the shop forum\show and tell section..