Rugged Radios spamming up Shop-Electrical Forum?

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Dailey has a good idea. Having a business answer questions about their products or replying with "tech" advice makes RDC great....sorting through countless sale ads (without any responses other than from the business) not so much. If you start a thread AND you get no replies AND you are selling something....then it should be in the "sticky" pile.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Advertising is what powers this site and we depend on it. It is our commitment to make the advertisers and visitors experience as pleasant as possible. That however requires some compromise on both ends. Every advertising method has to pass our own "agony test". Its not purely about making the most money for us.

We will internally discuss this thread and see if it is even a problem to begin with or not and how we can better your (visitor) experience.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Paid advertisers should be allowed to spam all they want if it's what keeps the site running.

But they should be aware that spamming also leads to turning away potential customers. If they, and rdc, are making a profit, then we as members of the site should just deal with it.

Personally, I will never buy from them. Not only do I program my own Icoms but I can't stand constant spamming. I quit visiting sites I was a regular at because they "sold out" to spammers. Mmaweekly comes to mind, I couldn't even post a comment without being spammed by pops up. I must not have been the only one since they eventually got rid of it.

Klaus, you should do whatever you feel is best for your site and thank you for listening to your paying customers as well as your freeloader members

az_amsoil

Reaction
Other forums have dedicated advertiser sub forums for them to advertise how they please, this prevents using the general threads to promote sales, specials, ect...just a thought.

_

Reaction
Klause, you and I have discussed this topic in the past through PMs. While I feel Rugged has all the right to post up whatever advertising they want as long as their practices fall within the site regulations, I feel the shop electrical section has suffered a drop in participation as a result of the Rugged advertisement allowances. Note: I have no qualms with Rugged whatsoever, my issue is with the forum rules and guidelines. I just feel there is a better and more advantageous method for Rugged and other sponsors like Rugged to advertise within the forums than to post adds directly to the shop forums. It is my opinion RDC should create an advertisers section within the forums where forum participants can go directly to, to find products and services by these advertisers.

Klause, to support my opinion these adds are having a negative effect on the shop electrical forum participation, I challenge you to count the number of active threads and active participants along with the total number of posts within the electrical section from 1-year or even two-years ago to the average number today (for the same calender months and not within a Rugged advertising thread.) I believe you will find the participation has dropped by a significant margin.

I know for myself, I seldom visit the electrical section anymore (where I previously regularly participated) as I feel there are rarely new threads which are not advertisements. And, I sincerely doubt the lack of new threads/post participation is a result of forum participants having become fully educated in all things electrical.

Again, I have nothing against Rugged Radios and/or similar advertisers. I just feel RDC has suffered a loss of electrical forum participation / visitors and through a change in the forum formats which will allow participants to directly access advertisers and their products/services, RDC, Rugged Radios and forum participants will all benefit. It's all about the number of participants. If forum members stop participating, there will be no one to sell to.

(Just my 2-cents........)

Last edited:

NIKAL

Reaction
Klause, you and I have discussed this topic in the past through PMs. While I feel Rugged has all the right to post up whatever advertising they want as long as their practices fall within the site regulations, I feel the shop electrical section has suffered a drop in participation as a result of the Rugged advertisement allowances. Note: I have no qualms with Rugged whatsoever, my issue is with the forum rules and guidelines. I just feel there is a better and more advantageous method for Rugged and other sponsors like Rugged to advertise within the forums than to post adds directly to the shop forums. It is my opinion RDC should create an advertisers section within the forums where forum participants can go directly to, to find products and services by these advertisers.

Klause, to support my opinion these adds are having a negative effect on the shop electrical forum participation, I challenge you to count the number of active threads and active participants along with the total number of posts within the electrical section from 1-year or even two-years ago to the average number today (for the same calender months and not within a Rugged advertising thread.) I believe you will find the participation has dropped by a significant margin.

I know for myself, I seldom visit the electrical section anymore (where I previously regularly participated) as I feel there are rarely new threads which are not advertisements. And, I sincerely doubt the lack of new threads/post participation is a result of forum participants having become fully educated in all things electrical.

Again, I have nothing against Rugged Radios and/or similar advertisers. I just feel RDC has suffered a loss of electrical forum participation / visitors and through a change in the forum formats which will allow participants to directly access advertisers and their products/services, RDC, Rugged Radios and forum participants will all benefit. It's all about the number of participants. If forum members stop participating, there will be no one to sell to.

(Just my 2-cents........)
The flip side to this is because of Rugged or any other vendors, they have kept several of the Shop Sub Forums current with fresh posts. I dont know if you can blame a sponsor for why others are not posting in a particular forum? The fact is the Electrical section has never been a high traffic forum, at least I have not notice it to be. Do I open & read all of the Vendor / Sponsor threads? Nope! Especially if I'm not looking for something that they carry, but it has not made me shy away from those forum pages. The fact is sometimes parts of the Shop Forums have nothing good going on in them, but a sponsor posting in them has not kept me from posting or reading in that forum.

IMO if a Sponsor is posting in a Shop Sub Forum or Industry News Form that pertains to what they do, I'm OK with that. Now if Rugged or any vendor was spamming up the Main General Topic Forums then I would have an issue.

Jack

Reaction
Paid advertisers should be allowed to spam all they want if it's what keeps the site running.

But they should be aware that spamming also leads to turning away potential customers. If they, and rdc, are making a profit, then we as members of the site should just deal with it.

Personally, I will never buy from them. Not only do I program my own Icoms but I can't stand constant spamming. I quit visiting sites I was a regular at because they "sold out" to spammers. Mmaweekly comes to mind, I couldn't even post a comment without being spammed by pops up. I must not have been the only one since they eventually got rid of it.

Klaus, you should do whatever you feel is best for your site and thank you for listening to your paying customers as well as your freeloader members
Yep. This is how I feel.

DesertGuy1

Reaction
Gary (ProFORMANCE) hit the nail on the head...

NIKAL's point of vendor posting in a sub forum does not reduce the chance of someone being able to post is well taken; however, it does reduce forum participation as most view the forum as a 'selling post'. Nowadays, most 'posts' are kept to PM to reduce the clutter and hassle sorting through 'catalog posts'... unfortunately, others are not able to benefit from the knowledge.

'Participation' has continued to go on... just not in open forums.

Slippery P

Reaction
Will someone PLEASE just give Rugged its own forum section so the spambot advertisements can come to an end. Its becoming a bit of an annoyance to see the advertisements pop up everywhere!

idealer

Reaction
Every time I see those spammy posts it just makes me want to go spend my money at PCI that much more.

Reaction
When I visit RDC, my saved "Bookmark" is a link to "New Posts". When I leave, I always click on "Mark Forums Read". That way I only see fresh posts and I look at that list for posts of interest without even knowing what forum or sub-forum they are in. Consequently, I have never even seen a Rugged post, but if there was another post on a subject of interest in the electrical forum, I would see it.

System has worked great for years - give it a try.

klaus

Administrator
Reaction
When I visit RDC, my saved "Bookmark" is a link to "New Posts". When I leave, I always click on "Mark Forums Read". That way I only see fresh posts and I look at that list for posts of interest without even knowing what forum or sub-forum they are in. Consequently, I have never even seen a Rugged post, but if there was another post on a subject of interest in the electrical forum, I would see it.

System has worked great for years - give it a try.
You may enjoy multiview.
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/multiview

Slippery P

Reaction
Every time I see those spammy posts it just makes me want to go spend my money at PCI that much more.
I completely agree It's like the hot chick that throws herself at every dude, despite what she has to offer it sometimes ends up just being a turn off.

bajafox

Accepted
Reaction
Used to be nice when we could double click a subforum read then click new posts and only see threads from the forums you want