On Topic Rugged Radios

SMS81

RDC Crypto
5. In response to these complaints, the Spectrum Enforcement Division (Division) issued an initial letter of inquiry (LOI) to Rugged Radios on August 14, 2018.6 The LOI directed the company to state whether six radio frequency devices had been properly tested and certified under the Commission’s rules and whether they operated within the proper technical parameters of their respective certifications. The LOI also inquired whether the six models included the proper labels and user information disclosures. Rugged Radios provided incomplete, inconsistent, or inaccurate statements in its LOI response.7 Ultimately, the Division found it necessary to issue a series of further inquiries in order to obtain information needed to resolve the investigation.8 While Rugged Radios would repeatedly provide inaccurate information about the compliance of certain devices in succeeding responses,9 it ultimately corrected the inaccurate information in its final response.

TLDR- at some point a lawyer told them to stop bullshitting the FCC.

Lol, man you got a hard on for these guys!! Must have pissed in your Wheaties somewhere along the way!! Good luck in your battle!! Lol!!

Advertising supports this site

Matthew Camp

RDC Crypto
Wonder what the FCC would think if 100 million Americans applied for ham radio licenses all the sudden ,to secure their stake in a safe form of communication.

BHollander

RDC Crypto
I get a kick out of how everyone is putting this on PCI as well.

No where do I see the citation for PCI. I believe you are stuck on the usage of the radio not the citation. I believe this is a rebranding and labeling of radio without proper FCC approval. PCI simply puts a sticker and does their stuff to a Kenwood, Icom, MSAT and whatever other brands they are a dealer for. They are not selling you a PCI 110w radio. Its a Kenwood with PCI program so Kenwood FCC certs apply. Rugged was selling re-labeled and branded as Rugged manufactured without being FCC approved. Big difference.

We all have our own preferred dealers or suppliers and PCI and the team guided by Weatherman is mine and will always be.

I see this post is just over 24 hours yet Mystic Majestic Mike has given his 3.5 cents on how every one is wrong and his team and program is perfect again.

dan200

Whistle Blower
RDC Crypto
Lol, man you got a hard on for these guys!! Must have pissed in your Wheaties somewhere along the way!! Good luck in your battle!! Lol!!
I should explain this because you are right and you are wrong. but yea, I am PCI for life and those people including Bob (RIP) are like family to me. That is not a thing I could ever deny. I am also a PCI dealer.

My beef with Rugged (the company) goes back a good while. I say "the company" because I am friends with most of the rugged guys who work events. We get along great and to be honest, they are annoyingly nice. I really like those dudes. They certainly put in an effort to do well as a vendor. But as a company RR did some shady stuff to PCI (cybersquatting/redirect). When they were called out for it they doubled down instead of doing the right thing. They also have made efforts (some successful) to have PCI not be allowed on site at events. PCI had that option but never exercised it. When given the opportunity to act ethically as a company in the tiny industry we are a part of Rugged on multiple occasions decided not to. As an "industry guy" I hear about this kinda stuff.

I sell stuff at races. So does McKenzies. So does Butches. I just run a bigger trailer than those guys ;) . But, a few weeks ago I was gonna miss a race (BITD Bluewater) so I called both of those guys and told them to bring extra inventory so that the racers are taken care of. A lot of people count on me and I don't want them to go without. I was in Oklahoma at the Ultra4 nationals but I was getting "Where are you?" texts from parker all weekend.

Next week I will be at "McKenzies" Rage at the river. As the banner sponsor for the event McKenzies could make an effort to have me (SDHQ) not be allowed to vend on site. SNORE would likely laugh at them but if they wanted to flex like that but, they could. (Instead, Nick from McKenzies and I will probably argue over who is buying who dinner. After we will be doing shots with PCI and RR staffers) 4WP could try and big money me out of being at Hammer Town. Nitto could do it to BFG. Polaris could do it to Can Am. But we don't do that to each other because we aren't buttholes and this is a small industry. I regularly say "If we don't all work together, none of this is gonna work" and I am certain I am right. The Boss at Big Blue Radios has shown hes not into cooperating like that and that's his right. How I/others react to that is our right. His people, the boots on the ground guys who go to events, those are some rad dudes though.

And while I feel like everyone is "a little pregnant" and hope this goes away for all of our sakes, misrepresenting stuff to a government agency is probably a bad thing for, well, everyone.

Make sense?

Last edited:

SMS81

RDC Crypto
Never have understood the whole Ford vs Chevy thing. I guess brand loyalty is good, but why limit yourself? Personally, I have a Ford radio and a Chevy intercom, and they both work great. Both have provided me with great service and have no complaints. But if company A had a product I needed that company B did not, I would feel like an idiot for not buying it based on some make believe principal. MHO, At the end of the day, I'm glad we have options.

dan200

Whistle Blower
RDC Crypto
Dan200 is talking like he was raised by a lawyer...
"I ain't passed the bar but I know a little bit" Jay-Z

Seriously though, can everyone who bought one of these return it so they can buy a legal one? Who can afford to have probably thousands of people get compensated for being sold an illegal product? If some bloodsucking lawyer thought it to be worth his time he could get a class action suit going on this I bet.

Outside of our little sport here there are some giant financial liability issue here, potentially. I am glad this ain't my problem...

Honda48X

RDC Crypto

No where do I see the citation for PCI. I believe you are stuck on the usage of the radio not the citation. I believe this is a rebranding and labeling of radio without proper FCC approval. PCI simply puts a sticker and does their stuff to a Kenwood, Icom, MSAT and whatever other brands they are a dealer for. They are not selling you a PCI 110w radio. Its a Kenwood with PCI program so Kenwood FCC certs apply. Rugged was selling re-labeled and branded as Rugged manufactured without being FCC approved. Big difference.

We all have our own preferred dealers or suppliers and PCI and the team guided by Weatherman is mine and will always be.

I see this post is just over 24 hours yet Mystic Majestic Mike has given his 3.5 cents on how every one is wrong and his team and program is perfect again.
Thanks for your 2 cents. I will stick with Motorola radios.

dan200

Whistle Blower
RDC Crypto
At the end of the day, I'm glad we have options.
So am I. But one of the options has tried to make the other option unavailable at races. That I will never be OK with.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I should explain this because you are right and you are wrong. but yea, I am PCI for life and those people including Bob (RIP) are like family to me. That is not a thing I could ever deny. I am also a PCI dealer.

My beef with Rugged (the company) goes back a good while. I say "the company" because I am friends with most of the rugged guys who work events. We get along great and to be honest, they are annoyingly nice. I really like those dudes. They certainly put in an effort to do well as a vendor. But as a company RR did some shady stuff to PCI (cybersquatting/redirect). When they were called out for it they doubled down instead of doing the right thing. They also have made efforts (some successful) to have PCI not be allowed on site at events. PCI had that option but never exercised it. When given the opportunity to act ethically as a company in the tiny industry we are a part of Rugged on multiple occasions decided not to. As an "industry guy" I hear about this kinda stuff.

I sell stuff at races. So does McKenzies. So does Butches. I just run a bigger trailer than those guys ;) . But, a few weeks ago I was gonna miss a race (BITD Bluewater) so I called both of those guys and told them to bring extra inventory so that the racers are taken care of. A lot of people count on me and I don't want them to go without. I was in Oklahoma at the Ultra4 nationals but I was getting "Where are you?" texts from parker all weekend.

Next week I will be at "McKenzies" Rage at the river. As the banner sponsor for the event McKenzies could make an effort to have me (SDHQ) not be allowed to vend on site. SNORE would likely laugh at them but if they wanted to flex like that but, they could. (Instead, Nick from McKenzies and I will probably argue over who is buying who dinner. After we will be doing shots with PCI and RR staffers) 4WP could try and big money me out of being at Hammer Town. Nitto could do it to BFG. Polaris could do it to Can Am. But we don't do that to each other because we aren't buttholes and this is a small industry. I regularly say "If we don't all work together, none of this is gonna work" and I am certain I am right. The Boss at Big Blue Radios has shown hes not into cooperating like that and that's his right. How I/others react to that is our right. His people, the boots on the ground guys who go to events, those are some rad dudes though.

And while I feel like everyone is "a little pregnant" and hope this goes away for all of our sakes, misrepresenting stuff to a government agency is probably a bad thing for, well, everyone.

Make sense?
This post is why I dig you.

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
Couple things, Yes, freqs are assigned to geographic areas. One of the reasons our club has 2 different frequencies assigned by the FCC. That is because our SoCal Freq was already taken in Vegas by one of the Hotels, so we have a separate assign freq. for the Vegas area. Yes, it matters.

Also, The 'Chevy versus Ford' thing- No, a company selling you an ILLEGAL product is not doing you a favor. Know what happens when/if the FCC does a check on your ILLEGAL radios? Confiscated and fines. Period. Why? Because it compromises PUBLIC SAFETY. And yes, they really do have vans that locate signals and arrest people for illegal transmissions on public safety freqs. Did they do you a favor? Think they'll give you your money back? I have always been amazed at the frequencies some teams use because after 32 years, I had plenty of public safety frequencies in memory and was amazed that some teams were right there in the same range. One very simply mistaken button pushed and you would be walking on safety band. The channels should be programmed in and locked as the regulations call for. It's one thing to provide quality service with a quality product and do it legally with a legitimate business model that follows regulations and federal laws. It is another to dump illegal products on the public with massive lark-ups and then say, 'Ah, shucks, we will do better next time we get caught.'

dan200

Whistle Blower
RDC Crypto
Are you trying to force me to become a finger joke guy? I don't want to have to join that club but...
I don't mind the jokers. It's the complete lack of originality with their jokes that gets to me.

J Prich

RDC Crypto
I don't mind the jokers. It's the complete lack of originality with their jokes that gets to me.
I totally get that, but in fairness, you did just drop a bald guy shiney head joke so I feel like we owe it to each other to try harder, lol

dan200

Whistle Blower
RDC Crypto
I totally get that, but in fairness, you did just drop a bald guy shiney head joke so I feel like we owe it to each other to try harder, lol
You are very well spoken and your skull has an amazing shape.

az_amsoil

RDC Crypto
The "shade" in the filing is what should be concerning. If you read through it this was involving 6 radios that are no longer being sold (3 stopped in 2018 and 3 in 2020). As pointed out the response to the Letter of Intent (LOI) involved some "shade", none of us can for certain say if it was intentional or unintentional, but later in the filing the FFC does say that all discrepancies were addressed in the final letter. If you want to skewer RR, then you can say they were being purposefully deceitful. However, if you want to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that maybe they didn't fully understand what the FCC was asking...I can see both sides of the coin. I tend to believe that they knew exactly what they were doing and got caught, you don't market and sell radios (and be as successful as RR) without a VAST understanding on the ins & outs of the industry.

I remember the drama that involved RR buying domain names then redirecting traffic to the RR site. I didn't agree but also felt (at the time) they were doing nothing "wrong". The domain names expired and they bought them...good business? Ethical? That's for the population to decide with their dollars. Pushing vendors from setting up shop is more black/white in my mind; they had influence and if the language was in the contact, then why would they not want exclusivity at the event they paid for AND the event signed the contract. They made a contractual agreement and exercised it. Remember when Robby setup his SST trailer outside of the LOORS event in CA?? Sure he was being a d!ck, but he also wasn't doing anything contractually illegal in promoting his SST brand outside of the event grounds. Brilliant in my book, undermining and shady??? Sure, but he got what he wanted and didn't have to pay. Gorilla marketing 101. You don't have to like it.

MTPyle

RDC Crypto
Website
www.eleusisdigitalcanvas.com

LOL man I confused. Where do these names come from? I assume you are referring to me but I don’t get the reference.

I don’t think I have ever said we are right and everyone was wrong. In fact we are usually wrong multiple times before we get it right and I am one of the few people here that is willing to admit when we do things wrong.

I am a pilot and have experience with FCC and controlled radio frequencies. So in that regard I was surprised that the off-road community was so easy going with FCC rules. So I tried to follow the law and do it right, which turns out to be about impossible.

there are two different conversations going on in this thread. One is selling non licensed products and the other is selling services and products that are using controlled frequencies illegally.

I don’t think anyone has said PCI is selling illegal devices. It sure seems from this claim that Dan posted that Rugged Radios is selling illegal devices and getting caught by FCC.

Personally I really like PCI and Rugged. It’s not a Ford or Chevy type thing for me. I had always used PCI in the past and when we bought our truck it had Rugged. I have been really happy with both of these companies. I bet I have spent equally between the two in the last 2 years. They both have helped us.

oh wait was I not supposed to give my opinion? Is there someone that I should ask before I post? I love how guys that rarely post complain about the guys that do. If I and other active posters didn’t post there would be nothing to read on RDC. But I guess then you negative Nelly’s would have nothing to complain about. Then you would just go kick your dog. So really I am saving your dogs from getting kicked, I can deal with that. LOL

Mike

pdailey

Pug Dad
RDC Crypto
Never have understood the whole Ford vs Chevy thing. I guess brand loyalty is good, but why limit yourself? Personally, I have a Ford radio and a Chevy intercom, and they both work great. Both have provided me with great service and have no complaints. But if company A had a product I needed that company B did not, I would feel like an idiot for not buying it based on some make believe principal. MHO, At the end of the day, I'm glad we have options.
PCI vs Rugged isn't a Ford vs Chevy thing. Ford vs Yugo would be more accurate. Or maybe Ford vs Reliant Robin? :)