On Topic Rugged Radios

Advertising supports this site

QurtysLyn

RDC Crypto
I remember the drama that involved RR buying domain names then redirecting traffic to the RR site. I didn't agree but also felt (at the time) they were doing nothing "wrong". The domain names expired and they bought them...good business? Ethical? That's for the population to decide with their dollars.

If PCI has a trademark on their name, then this is illegal. Even if they don't, common law trademark would likely apply to it in California.

As someone who has dealt with this several times with a competitor, registering the domain is not illegal, just unethical and just costs you money to do. Pointing it to your stuff will get you in trouble really quickly.

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
Ford, Chevy, what about Toyota?? I love my Toyota other then the fuel mileage....

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
I disagree, they clearly admitted fault and rectified it. PCI nor Rugged can control what frequency we are using. Anyone can purchase the programming software.

Read the following. It is taken straight out of the linked article.

5. In response to these complaints, the Spectrum Enforcement Division (Division) issued an initial letter of inquiry (LOI) to Rugged Radios on August 14, 2018.6 The LOI directed the company to state whether six radio frequency devices had been properly tested and certified under the Commission’s rules and whether they operated within the proper technical parameters of their respective certifications. The LOI also inquired whether the six models included the proper labels and user information disclosures. Rugged Radios provided incomplete, inconsistent, or inaccurate statements in its LOI response.7 Ultimately, the Division found it necessary to issue a series of further inquiries in order to obtain information needed to resolve the investigation.8 While Rugged Radios would repeatedly provide inaccurate information about the compliance of certain devices in succeeding responses,9 it ultimately corrected the inaccurate information in its final response.

SMS81

RDC Crypto
Read the following. It is taken straight out of the linked article.

5. In response to these complaints, the Spectrum Enforcement Division (Division) issued an initial letter of inquiry (LOI) to Rugged Radios on August 14, 2018.6 The LOI directed the company to state whether six radio frequency devices had been properly tested and certified under the Commission’s rules and whether they operated within the proper technical parameters of their respective certifications. The LOI also inquired whether the six models included the proper labels and user information disclosures. Rugged Radios provided incomplete, inconsistent, or inaccurate statements in its LOI response.7 Ultimately, the Division found it necessary to issue a series of further inquiries in order to obtain information needed to resolve the investigation.8 While Rugged Radios would repeatedly provide inaccurate information about the compliance of certain devices in succeeding responses,9 it ultimately corrected the inaccurate information in its final response.

It ultimately corrected the inaccurate information in its final response

Maybe I’m reading that wrong, but it sounds like they came clean, Yes I too have gotten a speeding ticket and told the officer I wasn’t going that fast when clearly I was. RR got caught for a violation, others haven’t yet, big deal, PCI has a re branded road master on their website, they haven’t been caught and I hope they don’t. Competition is good for the consumer and both have done a great job for me! So at the end of the day I’m glad I have a choice and there is not a monopoly in the giant, Uber important business of Offroad radio sales.

Last edited:

JDDurfey

RDC Crypto
t ultimately corrected the inaccurate information in its final response

Correct, but why the "repeatedly provide inaccurate information" if they were wanting to get everything straightened out.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight...but it just seems shady to me. If I ran a business that required I follow government mandated rules and regulations I would be dang sure I followed them. Especially when I was selling a product to consumers that could then get them in trouble with the government and they didn't even know they were doing something wrong.

One thing I have learned over the years. Government agencies usually do all their "homework" before they start sending out things like LOIs and Citations. They knew the answers to the questions they asked RR before they asked them. Now, I am not so ignorant to think that government agencies don't railroad some businesses and individuals at times, and maybe that is what RR thought was going on and they were playing along hoping the FCC would just "go away".

If PCI is doing something illegal, then they should be required to correct their business practices also.

SMS81

RDC Crypto
Correct, but why the "repeatedly provide inaccurate information" if they were wanting to get everything straightened out.

I have absolutely no dog in this fight...but it just seems shady to me. If I ran a business that required I follow government mandated rules and regulations I would be dang sure I followed them. Especially when I was selling a product to consumers that could then get them in trouble with the government and they didn't even know they were doing something wrong.

One thing I have learned over the years. Government agencies usually do all their "homework" before they start sending out things like LOIs and Citations. They knew the answers to the questions they asked RR before they asked them. Now, I am not so ignorant to think that government agencies don't railroad some businesses and individuals at times, and maybe that is what RR thought was going on and they were playing along hoping the FCC would just "go away".

If PCI is doing something illegal, then they should be required to correct their business practices also.

Agreed! But I sure wish I would have gotten my hands on one of those programmable radios before they stopped selling them!!😁

Racer277

RDC Crypto
I spent 8 years submitting technical documents with bills of materials to the government for approval. The FCC controlled reviewing dept would hire temps from the local college each year to review the submittals to determine funding approval.
I cannot tell you how many 100's of responses we received that said 'incomplete, incorrect, inaccurate'. Of course most submittals were boiler plate once we found what got approved.
In short, we helped train worthless college educated temps each year at the FCC.

To assume the FCC is correct when they state something is as silly as trusting commissioner Pai (or any govt official) when he says he has your best interests at heart.

Bro_Gill

Live. Laugh. Love.
RDC Crypto
When does the issue finally become- 'Ok, we have fleeced this Lamb for as much money as we can, now we can move on so we don't get in too much trouble. They're on to us.' I can't tell yo how many times I have seen the Gov't fine a company for say, 4 million dollars when the company made 40 million on the scam. And the Gov't gets to claim they stopped a bad actor AND get some cash. No one goes to jail, the fine is small in comparison to the profit. At what point do honest people ever win?

johndjmix

RDC Crypto
Don’t beat up on rugged or PCI, let’s support them. They support us all.

For markup...It’s a free country, you markup your goods to whatever you want. The market decides if they buy them or not. Let’s go see how much the girls Louie vitan bags are marked up. Urgh.

These guys all are there for us at the races, so regardless they have my support.

—john