Rules Question?

Timberwlf

Reaction
In my Re-Do of my truck I am going to go with a rear mounted radiator...My question is regarding getting the coolant to the back of the truck..I was going to use 1.75 .120w for the tubing. What are the rules regarding running coolant lines/tube through the cab of the truck..it would run along the passanger floorboard and I would make a sheetmetal shield to keep from touching the tubing as it would be hot.

Also on a side note...does a stock waterpump have enouf pressure to move the coolant to the rear and back???

Thanks
Brandon
AKA Timberwolf

BIG_FAT_LOSER

Reaction
CR 30: FLUID COOLERS
Oil coolers, transmission coolers, and radiators mounted ahead of the driver or in the passenger compartment must have a shroud behind the cooler that will prevent liquids from the cooler or its lines from blowing back onto the driver or co-driver. All hoses that run through the passenger compartment must be sheilded as well

I assume that the back of the cab and window (if it's being kept) will be considered a sheild.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Stock water pump is marginal for running a rear radiator. Run alum. tubing to the rear, It's like having half of another radiator.

FABRICATOR

Reaction
Routing coolant tubes through the cab can be a pain. All tubing must be covered by a "firewall". This is not done just to keep from touching it; but also to contain tube or connection failures. Some just route them completely outside the chassis instead (like Baldwin's TT). Using .120 wall is overkill unless it's aluminum. Tubing support is what's improtant. Poor supports which stress the tube can crack .120 tubing and good ones can sucessfully support .050 tubing. Some of the more exotic stainless tubing can go down to .030 and still span a considerable distance. Pump type depends on engine size and output. Tube size also depends on that and what pump is used. A V8 with a high-output standard type pump generally needs to have 1.5" out and 1.75" return. Smaller tube sizes can be used with a high pressure pump. There are also in-line electric boost pumps available.