Running a 9" upside down

FabioP

Reaction
I know it can be done and you can modify the pinion support to fix the oiling issues. Will the ring/pinion survive when running on the coast side when driving forward?

Wild bill

Reaction
I know somebody makes a "high 9" case. Check out any rock crawling sites for more details. I know they are not very popular because of duriablity issues.

FabioP

Reaction
I am asking this not to get a high pinion third member, but to reverse the axle rotation for rear mounted engine.

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
there are companies that make a reverse cut gear.... crisman made one for sure, I know at least one TT had/has this set up.

murphco

Reaction
and some older golf carts and utility carts use the 9"and 8"upside down.someone put some info about it on here somewhere and ive seen a bunch of carts with it.

FabioP

Reaction
there are companies that make a reverse cut gear.... crisman made one for sure, I know at least one TT had/has this set up.
FYI. Reverse cut gears don't fit in standard cut case.;)

There's a company that makes a third member that uses 8.8" reverse cut gear. I believe it's high9+, but not sure.

Haycock

Reaction
FYI. Reverse cut gears don't fit in standard cut case.;)

There's a company that makes a third member that uses 8.8" reverse cut gear. I believe it's high9+, but not sure.
currie uses rc 8.8" gears for their hp 9". True Hi9 is the only company that makes a true hi pinion 9".

ther is a lot of king of hammer rigs that run flipped 9" with the proper lube mod, ther having no problems.

loose nut dan

Reaction
Unless the rest of your drivetrain is mounted backwards, putting the 3rd member upside down will make it drive backwards.

maxyedor

Reaction
Search for it on Pirate 4x4, there's a couple write-ups on how do do it. Essentially you just need a little scoop added so it keeps the pinion bearing lubed, no big deal. Flipping 9s for reverse rotation is pretty common when adding portal boxes to 9" housings.

TeenyCar

Reaction
I run flipped 9 inches on my car and they work well. You want to build a scoop that pics the oil off the base of the pinion and scraps oil and directs it to the bearing off the ring gear. Pictures of the process has been posted on pirate. Search for flipped 9" oil and you'll see. There is also a company called sun ray engineering that makes an oiling system for you. Depends on your budget.

NRT_Chris

Reaction
Unless the rest of your drivetrain is mounted backwards, putting the 3rd member upside down will make it drive backwards.
Its amazing to me that this fact is always missed by people when this subject comes up. The term "reverse rotation" Is part of the problem I think.

You can buy a pinion support from Currie that is made to oil a flipped 9" pinion properly. In a rock crawler that doesn't see much long distance high seed its not much of a issue.