running a Polaris RZR on the streets of BAJA???

GBRACER

Reaction
Need some info about running a Rzr on the roads down in the baja.
I am going to watch the 1000 and will be staying down there for a couple weeks what's the deal with running on the roads.
I know we need insurance for the motorhome what about the Rzr and will we get hassled all the time.
Most of the time we will be camping on the coast.
Thanks for any help

grant.

Chase 2

Reaction
While it might sound like a great fun idea. There is no way in H E L L I would use a UTV to try to spectate or just get around for the 1000. BAD IDEA. The distances on the highway are too large, the roads are too narrow, too many semi trucks, too few places for people to pass. Now if you are going to trailer it out to jump on the race course and pre-run then sure, but simple getting around and spectating on race day no way.

Baja Fool

Reaction
Could you imagine the scene when he rolled up to one of the military checkpoints?;)

Chase 2 is correct, BAD idea if it's the only form of transportation....

bajaxp

Baja Bobsled Team
Reaction
I agree with my Amigos above...but if you are planning on just hanging in San Felipe, for example you would be fine. From Tres Poles south, all kinds of Rangers and RZR's are driving around. And if you don't like driving on the road...there is a nice whooped out trail just next to the road. But to travel from Ensenada to San Flippy...fogetaboutit. A RZR S tops out around 65 mph, but pretty dangerous with the trucks...and the Police might make a point about hastling you.

bajafoolin'

Reaction
no problem cruising around town if you are careful. stay off the hwy. I ride the minibikes all over SF/ENS, just wave and act like you know what you are doing. works every time. like always carry stickers and $20's.

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
I always ride my unplated 2-stroke dirtbike around Ensenada, eas to Ojos and Valle de T, and south on Hwy 1 to Erendira and Sto. Tomas, and have never been hassled anywhere by anyone. LIke someone just said, act like you know what you are doing and a few SCORE decals on the vehicle might help look like you are "with the race". The distance are large and the driving stressfull on race day with all the chasers and everyone in a hurry. It drains your energy for spectating just getting there. If you are going to stay down on the coast, a UTV is good for going up and down the coast from Erendera, but not so good for heading east on Hwy3. The lines at gas stations outside of Ensenada are pretty big on race day, too. I recommend using a full size car for spectating for any long distance.

Dezertpilot

Reaction
Doug you ride your 2 smoke around on race day? Any close calls yet?

310Kid

Reaction
I agree with my Amigos above...but if you are planning on just hanging in San Felipe, for example you would be fine. From Tres Poles south, all kinds of Rangers and RZR's are driving around. And if you don't like driving on the road...there is a nice whooped out trail just next to the road

I love that trail its like a nice 8-10 mile lane of straight woops, it starts underneath the massive billboard near the docking area for the boats, take it all the way to the airport to the military checkpoint, or you could bypass the checking by taking the trail right before the bridge on your lefthand side. Hop back on after the military stop and take it into the mountains till you pop out right after the trash dumping area and then you get back on the highway head about 1 min down the road and then relax at Punto de Estrella on the beach..

great little workout too :D

WickedGravityVideo

Reaction
Doug you ride your 2 smoke around on race day? Any close calls yet?

I was a bit nervous for the first few times riding my dirt bike in traffic around Ensenada, but no longer. I have never had a problem. I speak spanglish and if I ever got stopped, I would just say that I was going to race-inspection or something like that, or that I work for the race. I absolutely love that I can get through the slow and heavy traffic from Ensenada to Ojos. There is also a great old road from Tres Hermanos to Uruapan (old SCORE course), that is unadvisable for anything but a motorcycle. The moto is also 2-3 time faster than any street legal vehicle from Valle de T to Mikes. There is nothing like a moto to get around the course on race day. I only wish I had a big desert tank, as the gas stations usually have big lines on race day.

GBRACER

Reaction
thanks for the opinions I really want to run further down like Loreto or Baja Conception watching the race will be done from one point only I will not run on the main highway, I more want to run the back roads find trails and explore with the RZR, I got a couple weeks to spend down there so want to bring it or my sand car with mud tires on it which would be better.

JoeyD23

Reaction
We take our UTV's to baja and mob them around. I would highly reccomend innsurance. We trailer into Santa Veronica and drive into pine forest and all the way to Mikes through Valley T. Its quite a long ride but its a fun one.....

PT9Baja

Reaction
I think of two places that would suit a motor home and your Polaris for the 1000, Erindera on the west coast south of Ensenada and San Felipe on the east side. West side the weather is cool and Erindera is a fishing farming town with not much flash but good toco stands and really great scenery north of town and a bunch of good spots for watching the race. The RV facilities are limited but there and alot of people who camp along the beach north of town but the access roads are rough. San Felipe is warm and has the small beach resort thing going for it. It has clubs , good food and you will find alot more race stuff there as alot of crews set up there for support. The famous canyons and washes are just south of town and there are alot of places to play. There are plenty of RV parks and the towns malacon is within walkin distance to most. During race times no one will notice another atv running the streets. You will see alot and of police and military but unless your doing something really stupid the most you will get from them is a smile or a wave. I have always thought that stayin in one place for the race is best , but what would be fun for you is to set up in San Felipe the week befor the race and scout out places to watch it go by , go back to Ensenada for contingency the day before the start , its really a scene, back to your RV spot in San Felipe and hop in the Polaris to watch the race. If you are wanting to head south after the race goes by , do not try going south on highway 5 south of San Felipe in your RV. Its quicker and a lot less wear and tear to go back to Ensenada and south on #1 . A sand car would work and there are some dunes around San Felipe , but whats more important is reliability , so take what you can count on the most. Loreto is my favorite place in Baja but its a ways south but can be driven from SF in a long day. Its 721 miles south of the border. Hope this helps.

Martin

Reaction
BY the way the race isn't going to Loreto this year.

GBRACER

Reaction
We take our UTV's to baja and mob them around. I would highly reccomend innsurance. We trailer into Santa Veronica and drive into pine forest and all the way to Mikes through Valley T. Its quite a long ride but its a fun one.....

What kind of insurance do you get? is it speciffically for the UTV's I can't seem to find it on the Mexican Insurance sites.

Thanks
This will be my first driving trip tp Baja..