Rust from finger prints, everywhere!

NicksTrix

Reaction
i've got a guy working for me that has some sort of chemical imbalance. everything he touches rusts. from equiptment, tools to sheet metal... if it's not painted it's going to rust if it's steel.
i've worked with one other guy like this in the past. he only lasted a couple months at the shop i was working at then. we had to scotchbrite and oil everything on a weekly basis. once he was gone, problem stopped and after a few more scrubbings most traces of him where gone.

anybody else ever experience this and have any suggestions? any type of suppliment he can take to correct his chemistry? sucks to have to oil down everything he touches and i don't want to get rid of the guy, he's a good worker. it's my shop now and i don't want my stuff rusty.

wearing nitryl gloves all day isn't really a practical option.

any insight would be appreciated.
thanks!

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
Most likely a drinker. Now don't get me wrong he might not do it at work, but I have noticed this with people that drink lot's of cheap beer. Their sweat becomes acetic. Buy him some good gloves to work with.

TreyP

"F" you Bill
Reaction
trey, no he's not a big drinker. he's too broke, newly married...
thanks
As I said, that was what I noticed from a couple of people before. I really didn't want to post that, but it was just what I have seen in the past. I hope no offense was taken.

Some people are just naturally acetic too. I have heard of dietary changes that take care of it.

NicksTrix

Reaction
trey, no offense taken. no worries!
he said it's just been a recent thing for him. doesn't know what he's changed in his diet. hoping someone might have a idea of how he can balance his acetic chemistry right now. maybe some zinc...

thx

StGeorge-Motorsports.com

Reaction
Just some people have that problem. My dad builds precision medical molds and my brother has acetic hands so he has to be careful about making sure he wipes things off after he has touched them.

5racer

Reaction
i had same prob with a few friends and they drink alot ,not staggering drunk but do pound the beers hard .

therail

Reaction
I work with a guy like that. If he even touches a lathe chuck it looks like it spent a decade in a Vietnamese jungle. Our solution is scothbrite and lots of oil on everything he touches.

mikeyfrombc

Reaction
WD40 everything , is it truthly his fault or does humidity also play into things ?? i know i have certain times of the year around here where the weather gets funky humidity wise and everything rusts like crazy if i'm not careful

NicksTrix

Reaction
no it's totally him. i've had things (tools...) 20+ years and they where fine until he touched them. my shop is climet controlled a good part of the year, esp when it's really hot & humid. i'd sure like to know what he can do because i'd rather not have to have everything oily and spend time scrubbing. i have enough things on my plate to keep up with. he's worked for me for about 4 years off and on and it wasn't a problem until the last couple months. he says nothing has changed in his diet that he can think of. something is off in his chemistry somewhere.
thanks for the input.

Scott_F

Reaction
A few thoughts...

Do his hands sweat a lot? Does he drink enough water?

If nothing works, have him oil his hands while in the shop, or perhaps talc, dirt, etc.

I find that when my hands are oily and/or dirty, they don't leave the sweat stains on clean bare steel.

NicksTrix

Reaction
scott, yes he's a bit hand sweaty. he drinks water all day long. maybe we can try the talc. i'd rather not have oily hands all over the trucks and potentially in the interiors if you know what i mean..

thx

mgobaja

Reaction
Recently married, maybe it is his wifes fault, she cooking somthing that he didnt use to eat, maybe she cut him off, so he is spending more time taking care of himself, who knows

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
I know a girl like that, she's not allowed to touch anything in the garage now. Not sure what the problem is, but I know what the cure is......

etl450

Reaction
I would just fire him! Sounds like its more of a hassle than anything, LOL. They do have powders people can drink at nature stores to balance your acidic levels and stuff of that nature.

mebuildit

Reaction
Just make him wear gloves, Mechanix gloves or rubber throw away ones. Too bad you can't put that to good use though, maybe have him touch someones car that you don't like.

Wendell #527

Reaction
I have a friend with an imblalance or something, too. It's in his digestive tract or something. He farts and the room clears. I'm not joking. Seriosly. It smells non-human. It has to be toxic. He has been that way since we were kids, some 30 years ago. I can't have him help prep the car because other workers refuse to help due to the smell. I'd actually rather have a guy make rust than what Lonny does to people. One time he went inside the bathroom in our hotel room to fart so nobody would smell it. Well, the crack in the bottom of the door was enough to let the smell escape, and everybody in the hotel room had to vacate. They simply couldn't take it. Count your blessings, it could be worse.