RUST....PAINT OPTION

beamdream

OK. Im near completion on my 3 link and was wondering how long I could run my Tacoma before rust starts to build on my trailing arms, wishbone, bumper, differential......all that good stuff. I was thinking maybe a week before rust starts to form. Now I want to paint certain areas black and certain areas grey/silver. What is a good paint, whether it be spray paint or whatever, to use on my metal and chromally? Because I know alot of guys probably have done this yourself right? Thanks.

C-$

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Hammerite spray paint...use it.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

Waldo

Safehouse
Second that notion!

>>>>>>>>>>WHETHER YOU THINK YOU CAN OR THINK YOU CAN'T, YOU ARE RIGHT<<<<<<<<<

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
I took Kris' advice on the hammerite a while back and the stuff works!!

See ya in the dirt!

SpareChangeRacng

My friend swears by the Krylon "Hard Hat" stuff they sell at home depot. It is "professional grade" or whatever they call it. The stuff seems to work well. And it comes in many colors, not just the "hammered" finish of hammerite. Steve

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Hammerite comes in quite a few colors now and has a baked on type finish...kinda like powder coating.

Kris

fishd00d

What A Joke
Ya they changed it. I used it before and now I went to get a new can and it looks different than the old stuff. Its more defined now....sticks out more....thicker...whatever ya wana call it.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

In_the_works

I would advise using some lighter colored (white?) primer before you use the hammerite. It will be a lot easier to tell what areas are fully covered, as well as which spots you might have missed.

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

Curtis Guise

Administrator
I have used the Hard Hat paint by Krylon and it works good. If you have a little more money, time and a spray gun then go get some single stage PPG paint at a auto body supply store and shoot the parts with that. Just make sure you won't need to change anything on those parts if you are going to spend the money on it.

Custom_Yota

with hammerite you don't have to prime it. and you can gewt it in a gallon can for like 40 bucks at home depot The stuff kicks ass

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Hamerite is hard to shoot...we have an industrial sprayer and compressor for a 250,000 sq ft shop (so you know how big it is) and had problems shooting it.

Kris

ntsqd

POR-15.com

You can shoot it, but it's a hassle. Buy a bunch of cheap brushes and brush it on. Harder than Hammerite, and it self-levels like no other paint I've ever seen. Don't worry about the brush strokes, they'll disappear.
Oh yea, if you have to weld under it later, be prepared to clog some 36 grit discs cause you almost can't burn it off and you will not strike an arc thu it.

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

ntsqd

Oops, make that por15.com

TS

I used swerve around my halucinations, now I drive right thru them.

SpareChangeRacng

My friend made sure to point out last night that the "Hard Hat" stuff is NOT Krylon but Rust-o-leum. Whatever it is, it works good. Steve

beamdream

Cause what Im trying to do is keep the 'polished' look on my bumper and need to know what to use for that. I dont want a powdercoat look either. I used Hammerite on my front and was impressed but what should I do in my situation....hhhmmmm....

C-$

Bryan_D

Where do you get hammerite? I live in Az and need to spray my cage and bumpers will this work for me? Also is it that self leveling stuff like the por15 stuff? Could I bruch this on some of my cage that I cant shoot?

Bryan_D

Thanks Fish, hey what would you recommend for a cage thats inside a cherokee? Is there anything that wont get everywhere when putting it on? I sprayed the cage with a rattle can before and was high as a kit by the time I was done. ANy help would be nice.