Rust!

Regeeno

Reaction
Sloppy and I were in a hurry a while back and we installed my Camburg shackles on my truck before painting them. After a week or so, I realized they were starting to rust. They came with the wrong bushings, so I figured I'd just wait till I got the new bushings to swap to paint them. Anyway, I live in La Jolla near the beach and they're rusting pretty bad now. The shackles have dimple dies and I'm not sure how I'm gonna get the rust out of the inside. Any ideas?

P.S. I'll save you the trouble. I'm a moron.

Brian Mapes

Reaction
Sand blast. Flexible wire brush.

You gots to pay da cost to be da boss. - Snoop

beamdream

Reaction
Sounds gay, but steel wool plus tweezers can get some pretty detailed rust out. Ive done it before. Im in San Diego too.

C-$

OGCamber

Reaction
If you're lazy like me, they make this spray-on stuff called Metal Prep that you can get at just about any body shop supply store. It is a mild etching acid for use on body panels, but I used it on my old bumper that started to rust. Just spray it on, let it sit for a couple minutes and hit it with a Scotchbrite pad. You can just wad up the Scotchbrite and push it down into the holes because once you hit it with the spray, the rust comes off with light pressure. Once you've got the rust cleaned off, just follow the directions on the bottle to neutralize the metal prep and you're ready for primer and paint.

Courtney Halowell
Editor, StreetTrucks Magazine
www.streettrucksmag.com

evan_clanin

Reaction
there is also a product out there, i have used it befor, but i dont know were they got it at, buts its a green chemical in a clear bottle, and u spray it on, and it turns the rustblack and acts as a primer

Can blind people be dyslexic when they read Braille?

mflo

Reaction
WD-40 and a scotchbrite pad.

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
Just use some muratic acid,any pool supply store has it.Be sure to wear rubber gloves and a spray mask. Just remember it's very corrisive,watch it closely it only takes a few minutes to eat the rust. Rince them off then prime quickly they will rust quickly.

KitRacer

Reaction
the stuff evan is talking about is made by Jasco, and is called prep and prime, it was originally invented for the military, it works awesome, you just spray it on the metal and instantly the rust starts bubbling away, then everything turns black, you can scotch brite it off and paint, it is designed to be painted right over. you can get it at home depot, the one in san marcos has it sitting right above all the spray paint

At baseball games they play organs, in motorsports they donate them.

BA_DirtDriver

Reaction
Naval Jelly from any hardware store. Works like wood stripper. It's pink and you brush it on and let it sit about 10 min then hose off, dry off and polish up any left over with scotchbrite pads then have those shackles cad plated. Much cleaner than paint, they should have come that way. FWIW If you just want a painted finish then there are several of those rust treatment epoxy primers as mentioned above.

evan_clanin

Reaction
eerrmmm rustolium, since i live on the water practicaly every thing rust down here, gone threw 2 mig welders in 2 years, its really bad, i have found that rustolium works very will just spray, and it stops the rust and conceils it, if its just like a light powder rust go with the rustolium, if its bad get the prep and prime

Regeeno

Reaction
Well, the outside, I'm not too afraid of. It's getting inside the dimple dies. is there anything I can soak it in or something?

evan_clanin

Reaction
u can dip it in the prep and prime, just dip it in for a second, and then let it air dry

1992f150

Reaction
sorry to hijack the thread but whats a good primer (available in spray can) that will protect from rust for afew months before i can paint?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

evan_clanin

Reaction
you have to be careful with leaving primer exposed, it will soak up water, and i have some on my truck been there for like a month and its starting to rust threw, but there is no real humidity problems in az, but somthing to think about

michael_loomis

Reaction
lol .... craig has the only correct answer ! go to home depot (garden dept.) get some muriatic acid ( pool product) pour it in a bucket ... DO NOT BREATHE IT EITHER !!! dip it in , for about 20 seconds , then rinse with water . it will come out lookin like new. inside and out . then prime and paint .

michael_loomis

Reaction
hmm didnt mean that like it came out !

craig has the BEST answer .... IMHO !

evan_clanin

Reaction
correct answer if u were doing it, lol, its ur 2 cents, and if u do use the acid, the left over stuff, u get a 2 liter soda bottle, and u fill it up about 3 inches, and take a good size sheet of aluminum foil and fold it up some what small, and put it in the bottle, and cap it fast and throw it, it will take a 2 liter bottla nad swell to about the size of a tire, and then blow pretty loud, but it will kill ne thing near it, grass, trees, lil kids.

be safe and happy explosives

ps, like he said dont breath it, ull wish u were dead

elcaprerunner

Reaction
My theory... Chicks dig primer, that's why my Elco is a babe magnet. ;-)

DIRT'S FOR RACING, PRERUNNERS ARE FOR GETTING THERE!

H.O.R.E.
Hemet Off-Road Enthusiasts